24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wow! It's cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! It's cold

The past few days have been single digits with wind chills of -20 deg. Yesterday when I went to start the Dodge, I cycled the heaters twice. No start. I cycled them twice again and it came to life. Man I have never heard those sounds before. By the way, the overhead console read 9 deg. I am still running dino 15w-40 Premium Blue with only 6,500 miles on the truck. I was really worried about starting in this cold weather. I plug it up whenever I can, but at work there are no plug-ins. Does anyone know if Amsoil makes a synthetic power steering fluid?<br><br>Tim
Old 01-24-2003, 07:32 AM

Re:Wow! It's cold

As far as I know, Amsoil does not make power steering fluid. Royal Purple does, and Valvoline Synpower, synthetic blend power steering fluid is common at local auto parts stores. A little bit of synthetic PS fluid in the resivoir will stop the chatter/groaning on cold mornings.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:32 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Not for sure if Amsoil does but Valvoline has it.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:33 AM

[quote author=latitud_rt link=board=4;threadid=10043;start=0#95997 date=1043414608]<br>The past few days have been single digits with wind chills of -20 deg. Yesterday when I went to start the Dodge, I cycled the heaters twice. No start. I cycled them twice again and it came to life. Man I have never heard those sounds before. By the way, the overhead console read 9 deg. I am still running dino 15w-40 Premium Blue with only 6,500 miles on the truck. I was really worried about starting in this cold weather. I plug it up whenever I can, but at work there are no plug-ins. Does anyone know if Amsoil makes a synthetic power steering fluid?<br><br>Tim<br>[/quote]<br><br>-11 here the night before, no windchill, actual temperture! Its about 8 degrees this morning but I am not planning on going anywhere since it snowed yet again. I'll just hibernate.<br><br>Amsoil doesn't but there is a Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid avilable. Also Royal Purple makes some too.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:33 AM
yz

Well I don't know about the power steering fluid but I know it is COLD. -5 yesterday. Yeah I hate starting my truck in this temp. without it being pluged in too. :'( <br>But my employer is so cheap he won't turn the heat on in the shop. We had ice on the inside on the windows. Imagen buying a new motorcycle or quad and it is the same temp. inside the building as it is out side. So I think he would throw a fit if he found out I pluged my truck into his building. that's pretty bad huh? oh well -Anthony
Old 01-24-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil does make a synthetic power steering fluid its called Synthetic Hydrualic Oil which by the way is what your power steering is. Hydraulic oil is designed to operate under pressure, move while lubricating, has an anti foam agent and has different grades. PK
Old 01-24-2003, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that Amsoil says to use synthetic ATF in place of the power steering fluid. Never thought about the Hydraulic fluid. Maybe I will run by Walmart and get some of the Valvoline. Am I correct to assume that I use a turkry baster and suck out the old. Then replace that with Synthetic, then repeat a few months later to finally get the mix out?<br><br>Tim
Old 01-24-2003, 11:28 AM

Where are you in Va, Latitude rt? It was cold in Dale City but with the truck plugged in my Wait to Start light was only on for about 2 seconds this morning.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:33 AM

SW VA, about 1 hour from TN or WV or NC. South of Roanoke.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy oil suction guns for about 10-15 bucks that are much more user friendly for this process. Yes suck it out and refill run for a week suck it out again, the system for the steering uses a lot less oil than the others on the truck. PK
Old 01-24-2003, 03:39 PM

I jacked up the front end just enough to get the tires off the ground. Turkey basted out the reservoir and filled with Royal Purple Max-EZ power steering fluid. Fired the pig up and moved the wheels fully to both ends a couple times. Shut it off, repeated that process until it was all RP coming up in the turkey baster... didn't take that long to change the whole system... there might be a slight trace of OEM fluid left, but not much... ;D<br><br><br>Tony
Old 01-27-2003, 11:25 AM
DTR Advertiser

I changed my power steering fluid friday. Bought some valvoline full synthetic trans fluid from Auto zone [$4.99]. Used my mitty vac pump and pulled out 16oz. from the system, then refilled it. The power steering pump has quit making noises cold now. I will probably do it again to make sure it is all full synthetic this week. Tim