Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Just installed BrakeSmart.... WOW WOW WOW

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed BrakeSmart.... WOW WOW WOW

Today I installed the Brakesmart which finally arrived, and took it for a test tow with our new 13K 5th wheel. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW

Never in a million years would I have thought that electric trailer brakes could operated this smoothly at any speed, without any re-adjustments.

I had to use my old Tekonsha Voyager with this same trailer this very weekend (since the BrakeSmart hadn't arrived yet), and that thing really gave me white knuckles when it came to stopping, drove me nuts with grabby-ness in traffic lights - darned near ripped it from the dash.

Come home, install new BrakeSmart, take 'er for a test tow - WOW seriously guys, what an amazing contrast in performance.

It's like there isn't a trailer even there with this thing. LOTS of stopping power now. Feel totally confident about the braking with my rig now.

Anyway, had to tell you guys, since I know many of you tow heavy. Do yourself a favour, RUN don't walk and find one of these suckers.
You'll be on here gushing like me.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:07 AM

Where did u get it and how much was it.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Your first tow with a Brakesmart was about like mine.

Here's where you order one...

http://www.drperformance.com/brakesmart.html
Old 07-03-2007, 12:39 AM

I am debating on getting one sence my controller just went south.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM

WOW... $435 for a controller.

would you be better off spending that $$ on exhaust brakes.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2500
WOW... $435 for a controller.

would you be better off spending that $$ on exhaust brakes.
Trust me on this - it's worth the $435. I had to choke it back at first, but now I'm totally glad I have it.

The exhaust brake is always a good thing to simply save the wear and tear on brakes or even gradual slowing, but an exhaust brake isn't going to help you make emergency - or even a really fast stop.

If your trailer is <8K lbs it's not as big of a deal, but when your trailer starts getting into the >10k lbs class, the added stopping and more importantly, stopping control becomes very important, as I found out.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM

I've had mine for a year and tow two different size trailers with it (see sig),
Never had a problem, always smooth as silk. I tow 30K per year and could never go back to my old prodigy. $400.00 is cheap to have smooth and safe braking.

Add up the truck and trailer cost, family safety etc and it does not pay to go cheap on stopping power. You also are not beating your trailer brakes up due to jerky stops. I also have an exhaust brake, terrific combination, just pulled my 5th wheel 3300 miles thru Montana and Wyoming, never a scary minute.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Money well spent...........Me Likey!!!!!!

and would spend it again without a doubt....
Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I thought the price was steep, too, but after using one I don't intend to ever use anything else.

Unfortunately I did the only thing more expensive than buying a Brakesmart, which is buying a lesser controller first, being unhappy with it, and then buying a Brakesmart.

The brakes respond smoothly and precisely to the amount of pressure you put on the brake pedal. The truck and trailer brakes work together smoothly, like the way the truck's front and rear brakes work together.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn.L.Turbo
I had to use my old Tekonsha Voyager with this same trailer this very weekend (since the BrakeSmart hadn't arrived yet), and that thing really gave me white knuckles when it came to stopping, drove me nuts with grabby-ness in traffic lights - darned near ripped it from the dash.
I have a Voyager, and it works well, but you have to get it set up just right. It's really difficult to get it perfect, but when you do it works well.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the best of both worlds - a Voyager and an exhaust brake.
My wifes truck has the old style time-based controller - but she is about to get a Voyager too. The Voyager is a great unit when you have used the old style ones.

Dry Creek
Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a whole thread about brake controllers a week or so ago. There was only two of us that mentioned the Brakesmart. Where were you guys? It was prodigy all the way then. Now all of you believers are finally coming out of the wood work.

And how can an exhaust brake be compard to a brake controller?? Since when does an exhaust brake apply the trailer brakes???

John
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Well, to tell you the truth we are getting tired of responding to these brake controller threads. Threads, on top of Threads, on top of Threads on brake controllers. Ya see, it goes like this. Do a search and you will see.

#1 Brakesmart
#2 Jordan Ultima 20/20
#3 Prodigy

FiverBob is even tired of responding and he always responds to brake controller threads.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:46 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Spooler,

I have to agree.

I wonder how many quetions there are? Sooner or later we'll run out and there will only be re-runs and updates. Oh no.

John
Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 AM

The more new people we get the question will still arise. Basicaly here is in a nut shell why I ranked the brake controllers the way I did.

1. The prodigy is a good controller for the money. The problem is it uses no direct connection to the truck brakes. It actually uses an accelerometer. It detects the slowing of the truck after the truck brakes are pressed. The problem is if you come off the interstate on ice and press the truck brakes the truck will slide and the accelerometer will not sense this. What happens is a jackknife situation which is not good. This may happen on any slippery road.

2. The Jordan does hook via a cable to the brake pedal. The problems that may be incountered is a binding cable due to an installation issue. I was going to get one of these but Jordan sold his company and they currently are not being made. Very good price around (120-130 dollars). Also, it was very adjustable and truck stopped with trailer.

3. The Brakesmart uses a pressure sensor that attaches to the master cylinder sending an electric signal to the controller. It displaces no fluid so not to cause issues with ABS braking systems. Also, this unit is very adjustable and very quick to actuate the trailer brakes. The controler will control electric and electric over hydraulic trailer brakes. The downside is the cost. I sucked it up and bought one because I couldn't get a Jordan.

This is all from memory when I was researching what controller to buy myself. I hated the one I had and it had to go. It was a Drawtite time duration unit. Hope this helps everyone understand why I also ranked them as others have done before me. If I have left anything out please add.

Quick Reply: Just installed BrakeSmart.... WOW WOW WOW