24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

what have you done for this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what have you done for this problem?

what has been done for the problem of that over flow hose right behind the radiator that ends up clogging everything up? i couldnt find anything here, even though i know this has been discussed on here before,i want to get that draining someplace else, and wanted to hear some ideas before i strap a bottle or extend the hose to somewhere else, i know someone has fiqured out a cool way to solve this problem, what is it?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I moved the bottle right up front on the drivers side of the eng comp and ran a new hose, I just used heater hose and the bottle sits down low. I didn't even clamp it that way it can be easily emptied. I used to have major problems with oil contamination on the rad and fan and generally all around the front of the eng. ALL that is now gone.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:20 PM

extending it close to the ground is the easiest way but be sure to not reduce the inside diameter or restrict it at all you will have all kinds of new oil leaks if you do
Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
I moved the bottle right up front on the drivers side of the eng comp and ran a new hose, I just used heater hose and the bottle sits down low. I didn't even clamp it that way it can be easily emptied. I used to have major problems with oil contamination on the rad and fan and generally all around the front of the eng. ALL that is now gone.
if you use heater hose, it will have to be replaced often as it will go bad after a while.
i used a oil resistant hose, it cost more but never has to be changed
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 AM

ok, what does that thing vent again? so dont restrict it, maybe just clamp a bottle to it, empty it once in a while and be done, sounds good to me, didnt know if i could extend or move it a bit and sounds better to just keep it as is and add a resevoir, thxs guys
Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM

sig test blahblahblah
Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
There was actually a service bulletin for this issue, my truck is a 2001 QC 4X4 long box and if the truck is used on very rough terrain it amplifies the problem dramatically. The dealer was willing to install the mods under warranty and actually ordered the parts for me but as it involved quite a bit of work, I wasn't sure I wanted someone else messing with my truck. Moving the bottle out of the rad area does work. Mines been like that for about 5 years and no problems.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This vents the fumes, etc from the top of the engine. Where most gas engines have the exhaust under the vehicle, for some reason, Cummins decided to put in right up front where it could make a mess. Some already had bottles attached, while others did not. Not only does it make a mess on the front of the engine, it will also clog your radiator and cause an over heating problem. Some have been so bad that the radiator had to be removed and cleaned.

Re-routing it to under the truck is not a hard or expensive job at all. I don't remember the size, but I went to Home Depot and bought a PVC union and a PVC 90*, then went to Auto Zone and got a six foot piece of oil resistant tubing. I snaked the hose down thru the driver side suspension, and back, to where it came out under the cab and used cable ties in a few places to secure it. I used the union to connect it to the factory hose and the 90* to point it down. Now, I only get a drip on the ground every now and then, and don't have a mess up front.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM

thxs for the info, gotta get this done asap, my buddy just had to pull his rad and clean it, he was over heating bad
Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex

Re-routing it to under the truck is not a hard or expensive job at all. I don't remember the size, but I went to Home Depot and bought a PVC union and a PVC 90*, then went to Auto Zone and got a six foot piece of oil resistant tubing. I snaked the hose down thru the driver side suspension, and back, to where it came out under the cab and used cable ties in a few places to secure it. I used the union to connect it to the factory hose and the 90* to point it down. Now, I only get a drip on the ground every now and then, and don't have a mess up front.
Why not put the bottle back on instead of having a drip on the driveway?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 AM

?

Fairly new ctd owner here ..

What is plugging the rad up? oil? blowby? got any pics

No Im not to engine savy

Thanks redz
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Is this the "puke bottle" referenced in another thread like 2 threads up? If so, does anyone have pics of this bottle (of the trucks that have them) otherwise some pics of the hose hanging there and where this is in the engine bay? thanks