24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Weird symptom

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird symptom

has anyone ever heard of an engine idling high (around 1200 RPMs) sometimes when the I pump is going out.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope!
Would help to know where you live and see what you have (in Signature)!
Could it be High Speed Idle for colder weather? 1200 rpm is about right.

RJ
Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM

I have a basically stock 01. No high idle feature or anything. I live in TN. It only does it to me sometimes. Aspecially on long trips. It will just start idling at around that level and then I will get complete dead pedal (no response at all form the throttle) until i shut the truck off and let it sit for a few minutes then turn it back on.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Any body have any idea what may be causing this. I was thinking maybe the APPS. Im in the process of buying a new VP44 right now because im getting the p0126 code however im afraid that this code may still be in the system due to the fact that the truck's I pump has already been replaced once. The pump that is on the truck now is no more than 14 months old. I found out that the lift pump WAS bad however replacing it a few weeks ago did not solve the problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Might want to have APP sensor tested first they are expensive part to replace and might not fix problem. Had same problem replaced APP didn't fix it. Turned out to be ECM causing high idle problem. ECM finally quit completely, wait to start light would flash with key on, that would be indication that ECM programing failed. Try pulling codes by key on three times.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 AM

I would have to agree with BigIron on that one, but now that you said you had the P0216 code, I would definately put the problem on the pump cause once that code comes up, the IP is going to completely give out shortly thereafter. The dead petal thing is a major symptom of the IP on its way out as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Captain Coop
....Im in the process of buying a new VP44 right now because im getting the p0126 code however im afraid that this code may still be in the system
If the problem gets fixed, the code disappears after a few starts.
Any chance you mean P0216?
Don't believe there is a P0126.
Sorry but your code is not a leftover.
Good news is the newer rebuilds seem to be lasting longer.

RJ
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Your problem is definatly the APPS. I had the same problem when using the cruise. below is the quote from the thread i posted on this:

Originally Posted by StevenAg03
i have been having this problem with my truck ever since i got it last janurary, however as of lately, it is actually becoming a problem.

back when i first got the truck in Jan of 07, i noticed that after driving with the cruise control on for some time, idle would be up around 1000rpm and the exhaust brake wouldnt work. about 9 months ago i was driving from Houston to dallas. i took my exit in ennis and when i came to a stop at the light the idle was around 1100-1200. as soon as i let the clutch out, i got a CEL and had no throttle response. checked the codes with my superchips and had P0121. This is a voltage to low code. i cleared the code and when i started the truck back up, everything was good to go. havent had any problems for the last 9 months. then as i was driving to work monday morning, i lost all throttle and the CEL came on. this time i was driving with the cruise on and going 65ish. pulled over and repeated the process above. the difference this time is that it happened while i was driving down the highway.

this morning as i was "evacuating" houston i drove through college station to pick my fiance up. when i exited the highway and pushed in the clutch at the light, idle was ~1200 rpm. i took off through the light and shortly there after no throttle and p0121. cleared the codes and off i went. about 45 minutes later (near North Zulch), it happened again. the difference the last time it happened is that i hadnt been using the cruise for a good 20 minutes.

now with the code and some common sense, one would say that the APPS is the likely candidate. however, the only common theme between all situations is that the cruise had been in use.

to test my theory out, i drove from North Zulch to Enis (hour and a half) without cruise. no problems what so ever. when i stopped in enis idle was normal 800-900 rpm. i decided since i was somewhat close to home, i would try the cruise and see what the results were. i used it for all of about 20 miles. sure enough, as soon as i turned it off and came to a stop, idle was around 1100 rpm. i did not get a CEL and no throttle this time though.

i think the issue may be that the cruise is giving some feedback, even when turned off. it is sporatic though. sometimes, after using the cruise, idle will return to normal, but most of the time it wont.

can someone please help me out or give me places to check? i dont want to keep thinking it is a problem with the cruise and be stranded on my way back with a bad APPS.

PLEASE HELP....

The APPS is expensive from the factory, but PM Timbo01 (CLICK HERE) on here. His is fairly cheap and easy to install...
Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Hmm. Thats interesting. How do do I have my APPS tested like someone mentioned earlier. Im kinda thinking that I may actually have a bad APPS sensor and a bad I pump. AND YES I DID MEAN PO216 NOT 126, GOT THE NUMBERS MIXED UP SORRY.I wish i can remember what the code was last time that I had the high idle!!!!! It very rarley does it. Latley I have just had the dead pedal and a surging (about 10 sec of normal power, then 10 sec of a little loss of power) while going down the highway at about 75. The only code in the sysyem is the VP death code and it comes back even after its been cleared. I would think that its just the VP but the surging and high idle seems like the APPS