12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Starting Symptom

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Starting Symptom

Hello all,

My truck is talking to me but I do not understand what it is trying to tell me. So, I am asking for help. My truck has always started very quickly. You bearly heard the starter and it would be running. Now the starting is, on occasion, taking a bit longer. The engine turns over for a couple of seconds and then starts. Once it starts it runs good with no problems. During the start, it shoots a puff of black smoke out the exhaust then it seems to run normal. The black smoke is new as I do not recall it before. I normally do not add fuel peddle to start but now on occasion I give it some fuel to help start. This is intermittent problem.

I have cleaned the battery terminals, cleaned the air filter, changed the fuel filter, checked the rubber hoses for the fuel lines. They look ok but my old ones looked ok too and had lots of little cracks in them. I suspect maybe air in the fuel system. I do not see any leaks and fuel mileage has not changed. I do not have any gauges.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I would hate to get stuck somewhere when it finally does not start. Except for the thermostat and starter everything is new from the factory and I have 185,000.00 miles now.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
two things

air on some of the rubber lines, or ur idle is too low, least im thinking. If it is ur idle, which should be at 650 rpms with ac on and in gear (minimum in my opinion), then here is a link towards fixing your situation, now only advise i can give is dont give up, and the screw u feel when u do this, is probably the right one, thinner arms help too...

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/adjustm...d_Gen-Idle.htm

and the pic i mention below, (on edit)

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1
Thanks!

PS Welcome to DTR!

Tx