24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Weird ECM issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird ECM issue

My original ECU (block mounted) computer took a dump on me. I sent it in and had it rebuilt. When i got it back The truck was starting really hard and would sometimes sputter then die. Or it start fine but mile down the road give it some throttle and the motor would die. And while driving under heavy acceleration the truck will cut power then give it back within few seconds. NON of this happened before computer went bad. I have a ECU from same year truck cept its a manual transmission ECU and the truck runs flawless except idle do to no clutch pedal sensor. I have since sent my original back to the company that rebuilt it and they said everything checked out fine there wasnt an issue with it. Any one Have any ideas as to what could be going on. With the old computer i get a map sensor code once in a while but with the M/T computer i never have thrown a code nor is any stored. My mind is boggled
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
seems to me you answered your own question the ECM from the stick shift runs great,I would see about finding another one to try.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 AM

Yes But why would the Original computer meet factory spec's and run bad and the manual run perfect. The only thing different between the 2 computers should be The communication between ECU an trani i'd think
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM

I would question the competency of the shop you sent your ECM to, twice.

Mr. Mike.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I always lived by the rule and I thought I was wrong once but I was wrong ....when a computer won't fault anything and it won't fault itself...it's the computer.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 AM

I had my ECM go bad back in February. I was able to get one from a local junk yard for half the price of a rebuild and was the same year, and tranny as mine. You may want to call around and see if you can find one in your area. I also was able to have my local Cummins dealer hook up their computer to my truck and I was able to see what was going on.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM

I changed my truck from a stick ho to an automatic ATS standalone and have hade no problems for years with the ecu until just recently I have developed a hard start issue I was thinking my custom fuel lines were getting out and sucking air when the truck sat over nite but now I'll check the ecu I got a couple of spares but not sure what they came off of I didn't even know it mattered I have had the on the truck before never ran with them just plugged them in and started it idled fine though
Any body know what the differences are btw auto and stick ecu
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM

I tried the junk yard how I ended up with the M/T computer they sent that one cuz its all they could find. Being my truck has Cali emission in it (dont live in cali thou) that ECU is like impossible to find. Only people I can find that carry it is Deal or Cummins, but a new one is $1200.

With M/T computer when in D/ R its searching for a clutch pedal senor so the truck idles lopy like it has a large cam in it, surges till you let off brakes.

The original service local shop had a Factory scan tool so they hooked it up. I guess i should think bout going back and having them hook it up again and see if they find any other issues.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM

I think you may have to calibrate your apps sensor to the new ECU. There is a thread here somewhere on calibrating the APPS, and bypassing the ecu to pcu hookup for the apps. That way you get the exact same voltage sent to both units. They will not have to talk to each other. I had to do that on my '02 and it has been a total dream since. I have a son who is a Dodge diesel mechanic, could not fix the problems because dodge doesn't teach them how. They won't even admit the problem exists.These things have the poorest computers I have ever seen.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 AM

The apps has been calibrated each time the computers have been swapped
Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbo-Dodge
...... Any one Have any ideas as to what could be going on.
I once tried swapping ECU's with an 01.5 manual. My automatic unit worked fine in the 01.5, but his would not work properly in my aotu. Many similar problems to what you mention.
I suspect your reprograming was not done correctly. Can't dealers reprogram it to your VIN # ?

RJ
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 AM

The M/T computer was reprogrammed properly with my vin# through a factory scan tool
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Just To clarify in case some ppl are getting confused. The A/T computer(original computer from factory) is the one we are having the issues with. The M/T computer works 100% other then the surging idle. Much more complications with the A/T. Really weird starting and long hard cranking. No codes anymore runs fine just doesnt like to start now.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you refering to the ECM amd the PCM?
Your right .....I'm confused.

RJ
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 AM

Engine Management Control, Block mounted