24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 install question

Thanks for helping! I'm in the middle of installing a new Industrial Injection VP44. Old pump was on its way out. The question is " I have the new pump in the mounting hole and about 1/4 inch yet to go. I'm meeting some resistance in getting the o-ring to go into its place. I'm afraid of mashing the keyway. I've aligned the shaft to match the old one. Is the keyway seated properly with the pump that far into the hole, or not"?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give... BTW, Industrial is closed for the day and I'd like to finish up.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abbert55
Thanks for helping! I'm in the middle of installing a new Industrial Injection VP44. Old pump was on its way out. The question is " I have the new pump in the mounting hole and about 1/4 inch yet to go. I'm meeting some resistance in getting the o-ring to go into its place. I'm afraid of mashing the keyway. I've aligned the shaft to match the old one. Is the keyway seated properly with the pump that far into the hole, or not"?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give... BTW, Industrial is closed for the day and I'd like to finish up.
Have you finished the VP44 install yet? Replaced my VP44 couple years ago, I put a bit of grease in the key way and placed the key in. I bought a cheapo mirror from dollar store and used it to watch from the front while placing the pump on to the mounting studs from rear, tight fit in the front of gear housing with a mirror if you leave radiator etc. attached. But when you see that the pump shaft is in far enough to engage the key with the gear keyway you should be OK, and yes the O-ring will cause a tight fit but you can use the nuts on the pump studs to help this along, crisscross pattern if you use this method!!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxwell
Have you finished the VP44 install yet? Replaced my VP44 couple years ago, I put a bit of grease in the key way and placed the key in. I bought a cheapo mirror from dollar store and used it to watch from the front while placing the pump on to the mounting studs from rear, tight fit in the front of gear housing with a mirror if you leave radiator etc. attached. But when you see that the pump shaft is in far enough to engage the key with the gear keyway you should be OK, and yes the O-ring will cause a tight fit but you can use the nuts on the pump studs to help this along, crisscross pattern if you use this method!!
Hi Maxwell, yes, I did finish the install after talking to the techs at Industrial Inj. They assured me that if the pump was in that far, it was aligned properly. I now have a major oil leak which I assume is at the back of the pump due to o-ring failure. I thought I had torqued the pump bolts in a criss cross pattern, but I may have drawn one side in ahead of the other. I will pull the pump again, inspect the o-ring and use some black RTV to reinstall. Truck runs fine with the new Pump. Thanks for the reply!

Al
Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
You may have already done this, but I always lubricate the o-ring with some oil or vaseline before assembly. It helps lots, and reduces o-ring damage too.