24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP-44 Injection Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm not sure what vendor that is. Blue Chip Diesel is usually the most expensive, but they do have a good reputation for a quality pump. Industrial Injection and Scheid Diesel are two other great suppliers too.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by maxwell
Thank You,, and my trans will be looked into because my last fluid change ( about 30k miles ago) the fellow said their was some excessive "sludge" in the pan.

I spied a VP-44 for sale on this site (DTR), $1600.00 with core charge included, so it is a $1200.00 pump, what dealer is this thru? any good, bad or ugly things concerning this? VP44 Injection Pump - VP44 1998.5-2002 Dodge 5.69L (235 Hp) Bosch fuel Pump (400.00 Core)
PM Lary Ellis ( TOP ) on here, he is the owner of the store, or better yet, just call him at 877-375-1956 ( Toll free ) and tell him Daly said he should take good care of you.

I know he refuses to sell an inferior product, so while it may not be absolute top of the line like Blue Chip, it isn't a black box rebuild either.

If he gives you any guff, tell him I will chop off his LEGGS.........
Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed the VP-44 pump this past weekend, I am fortunate to have another ride so I was able to take my time to look at some manuals and this weekend I jumped in with both feet, the most difficult part was removing all of the interference, over one day actual wrench time was probably 2 1/2 hours?!?

I decided to take out the pump 1st and then order pump from Blue Chip, they send you a return postage ticket to send pump back, and over the phone he told me if they received the core within 30 days they would not apply core charge. The injectors I think I will get from Scheid, all injectors are comparably priced.

I read on this forum another fellow who asked about complexity of the job, it is a straight forward job, and DO NOT forget the two bolts that attach the lower pump bracket to the block, I started wrenching on the gear puller and thought the darn pump would never come of, so when in doubt, Stop and review the book.

When I removed the 2 bolts the pump shaft "popped" right out with little effort, when you hold that rascal in your hands it is hard to believe that something like that causes this type of grief and wallet distress. Oh well, its only money, Right?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 AM

Rebuilt VP-44 going in today.

It has been a several days since I recieved the rebuilt VP-44 and injectors from Scheid and finally getting around to install them, these 70 hour work weeks are killing me.

I noticed the tank return fuel line, from pump, runs to back of the engine compartment, then thru a "T" connection, and continues towards rear of truck, but the other line, from that "T" connection runs up to rear of the engine, and from what I can see with a mirror, terminates at a place that appears to be the cylinder head,

Any one know why or what it does?? Thanks!!
Old 05-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by maxwell
It has been a several days since I recieved the rebuilt VP-44 and injectors from Scheid and finally getting around to install them, these 70 hour work weeks are killing me.

I noticed the tank return fuel line, from pump, runs to back of the engine compartment, then thru a "T" connection, and continues towards rear of truck, but the other line, from that "T" connection runs up to rear of the engine, and from what I can see with a mirror, terminates at a place that appears to be the cylinder head,

Any one know why or what it does?? Thanks!!
70 hours a week is no way to live a life. Hopefully you dont have a family because kids deserve a dad who actually is around during their lives. People so easily give up their most important things in life for sake of maximum income. But not to preach.....

The fuel lines run in such a manner that there's a fuel module in the tank. The module houses the inlet and outlet (supply/return) in the modules basket which is screen filtered and shaped like a bowl to assure clear fuel is always there for the pickup tubes.

The inlet runs to the fuel pump which supplies the VP. The excess fuel from the VP runs out the overflow valve and back around the side of the block to a "T" fitting which joins up with the excess fuel which spills out from the injectors and runs out the back of the head via a banjo bolt. So both the cylinder head return fuel and the VP fuel return both come together at that "T" and then run back along the frame and into that fuel module basket.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
The fuel lines run in such a manner that there's a fuel module in the tank. The module houses the inlet and outlet (supply/return) in the modules basket which is screen filtered and shaped like a bowl to assure clear fuel is always there for the pickup tubes.

The inlet runs to the fuel pump which supplies the VP. The excess fuel from the VP runs out the overflow valve and back around the side of the block to a "T" fitting which joins up with the excess fuel which spills out from the injectors and runs out the back of the head via a banjo bolt. So both the cylinder head return fuel and the VP fuel return both come together at that "T" and then run back along the frame and into that fuel module basket.

Hope that helps.
It does help! I learn something new every time I visit. The Haynes Manual is not a bad book but they lack in detail, such as that info.

Pump went in last night, already sent the old one back to Scheid, the injectors I will work on today so I can start getting everything back together, after looking at the cost of new trucks, I think I will hang on to mine for a LONG while longer, since it is in fairly good shape, drive train is in as new condition, interior is still good, some rust on outside from wife having a fight with a concrete pillar, the pillar won.

Your are much very much right about the hours, my kids left the nest quit awhile ago, started working all the hours to help my son get thru Georgia Tech with out a Butt Ton of Debt, Daughter also, well the money was great but now?, the 70 hours do not happen a lot, but the older I get the crankier I seem to get and then the friggin Tax Man comes around, year after the kids left to start thier lives the IRS gave me one heck of an eye opener......

Sorry, I digress,, Thank You very much for the reply..
Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 PM

VP-44 in the Truck and working!!

Got the VP-44 in the truck, took a few hours but the install went real smooth, no hiccups, except having to take the pump back out to tighten the bracket attached to it and block.

Really the most pain in the rear was bleeding out the lines, I bled out 1, 3 and 4, they were leaking off fuel I tightend them up but the truck wouldnt start,, it stumbled a bit but never caught, I eventually loosened them up a couple more times and after a bit she started and runs like a champ. It runs real well, good acceleration and no smoke.

Now on to the brakes!!