24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP-44 Injection Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VP-44 Injection Pump

First, to all, thanks for the many years of awesome information, as I am a long time viewer of this neat site. But now I require assistance, my baby is broke, now I have to drive a ,,,, Car.

The other day on the road the engine started stumbling and missing extremely hard with no acceleration when pedal was pushed down and as I came to a stop on the side of the road the engine continued to buck, miss and stumble so I simply shut it down and it has not re-fired, it will turn over but no fire. After an expensive tow to the house I completed the ignition key sequence for the codes on the odometer, and here they are in order of appearance.

P PCU
P 1693
P Done

P ECU
P 1688
P 0251
P 0252
P Done

I have read the "sticky notes" post of engine codes and it seems it is my VP-44 Pump. Any thoughts, ideas will be extremely helpful. Thanks Again~!!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
It does sound like the VP has quit on you based on what you described and the list of codes. You can try to jump the VP first if you have any doubts though.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by maxwell
First, to all, thanks for the many years of awesome information, as I am a long time viewer of this neat site. But now I require assistance, my baby is broke, now I have to drive a ,,,, Car.

The other day on the road the engine started stumbling and missing extremely hard with no acceleration when pedal was pushed down and as I came to a stop on the side of the road the engine continued to buck, miss and stumble so I simply shut it down and it has not re-fired, it will turn over but no fire. After an expensive tow to the house I completed the ignition key sequence for the codes on the odometer, and here they are in order of appearance.

P PCU
P 1693
P Done

P ECU
P 1688
P 0251
P 0252
P Done

I have read the "sticky notes" post of engine codes and it seems it is my VP-44 Pump. Any thoughts, ideas will be extremely helpful. Thanks Again~!!
She is dead................ ECU codes tell the gory story.

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Bosch VP44 Injection Pump Error Codes

Sorry man, research pumps before buying based upon price.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
She is dead................ ECU codes tell the gory story.

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Bosch VP44 Injection Pump Error Codes

Sorry man, research pumps before buying based upon price.
Yes, I viewed that Mopar Mans Site, very nice, bookmarked that rascal to look at in the AM, I agree with your statement about buying by price alone, particularly reading some of the posts throughout DTR, tried a search and many stories come up about "getting what you pay for" when it comes to the VP-44,,

The couple names that pop up for quality Pumps are Scheid and Blue Chip?

Also thanks to Katoom for your recomendation, not sure where I would break into the wiring to even try that, I did read a couple threads from way back..

My Wife told me to stop whining,, she doesnt get it.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 PM

You're welcome and if you're still interested to check VP function by jumping it, you can find the information on Bluechipdiesel.com under diagnostics. Somewhere in the middle of that page it shows you how to do it but in reality it sounds like its done.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Administrator

The couple names that pop up for quality Pumps are Scheid and Blue Chip?
Top notch, can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO they are good just make your wallet lighter than some other sources.
Just do your searching and looking. there are other places to get a reliable rebuildt pump without paying crazy. or places that are just as good and not making you pay a arm and leg up front due to core charge and then you have to wait and wait to get your deposit back.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Well, one thing I can add about Scheid Diesel is they are a certified Bosch Dealer and have a dedicated test stand to test and calibrate all VP-44 Fuel Pumps.
Also,.....they give all customers a full one year warranty and they stand behind all of their work having been in the diesel fuel business for over thirty (30) years now! IMHO,...their prices are very competitive for the VP-44 and if something does go wrong you are not going to get "screwed" like you will with some of the
cheaper internet diesel companies! And that is a FACT!

--------
John_P
Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM

I wish to Thank all of you for your replies and comments, I have burned up my internet looking for VP-44's and some companies seem a bit shady to me.

I am looking to get from Scheid their HO VP-44 with new +50HP injectors, plus, maybe, a new turbo.

I removed the intake, I was kind of playing around with the compressor wheel and it felt a bit rough as I was spinning it by hand, so I might need a new turbo??

The choices out on the market are almost bewildering!!! I keep thinking of all these mods I want to do when all I need is a injection pump, BUT I would like to get a bit more power.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM

Make sure you have this conversation with them well before you make your decision too. Because I see you're wanting the HO VP but you currently have an SO pump. And just pointing out that the SO pumps can generate more hp in the long run than HO pumps can.

Without getting all technical as to why that is..... The SO pumps have larger fuel plungers than HO pumps but HO pump have more aggressive fuel cams which the plungers ride on to achieve the higher line pressure the HO motor injectors utilize. The Hot Rod VP is a tuned VP which houses the SO plungers but on the HO fuel cam. Not saying thats what you want either but that there are options and you want to make sure you get the right one.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I wish to Thank all of you for your replies and comments, I have burned up my internet looking for VP-44's and some companies seem a bit shady to me.

I am looking to get from Scheid their HO VP-44 with new +50HP injectors, plus, maybe, a new turbo.

I removed the intake, I was kind of playing around with the compressor wheel and it felt a bit rough as I was spinning it by hand, so I might need a new turbo??

The choices out on the market are almost bewildering!!! I keep thinking of all these mods I want to do when all I need is a injection pump, BUT I would like to get a bit more power.
Beware, more power begats empty wallet.

Unless you want a playtoy......... be VERY judicious with your upgrades.

You check the turbo by lifting up and down on the wheel, a little slop is OK.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are talking about putting on the OE HO VP and you have a auto this is not changeable. you can put a SO VP on a truck that did have a HO.

but you can put a HOTROD pump on either a manual or a auto. keep in mind if you put a hotrod pump on this had alot of timing and if you plan on down the road and put on a performance box that has fixed timing you will have to much timing issue. Most folks will only put on a fuel only performance box when using a hotrod pump.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Make sure you have this conversation with them well before you make your decision too. Because I see you're wanting the HO VP but you currently have an SO pump. And just pointing out that the SO pumps can generate more hp in the long run than HO pumps can.

Without getting all technical as to why that is..... The SO pumps have larger fuel plungers than HO pumps but HO pump have more aggressive fuel cams which the plungers ride on to achieve the higher line pressure the HO motor injectors utilize. The Hot Rod VP is a tuned VP which houses the SO plungers but on the HO fuel cam. Not saying thats what you want either but that there are options and you want to make sure you get the right one.
That is kinda weird, but after doing alot of research on the VP-44's it now makes sense!!

I'm really not after a bunch more horsepower, I though about some small increases but after all the comments and looking at prices I think I might stick with the stock setup. What I mean is get new pump, injectors and a free flowing exhaust, and leave it at that.

Quite frankly since I had the truck since new it has towed, pulled and toted everything I threw at it, even some trailers and the bed full of gravel,, it has served me real well, (excep the dash and leaking passenger door).

Will the 50+ HP injectors work with a SO pump/ to include a newer exhaust, (more air flow) and new intake? Any recommendations as to a good set-up that will serve me well down the road?

Again, Thanks to all for your time,, if it is any thing like the little time I have on hand I do appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 PM

I have an Edge EZ and its a great addition for mild power and towing. That said, I understand one of the best towing combo's is the EZ and RV275's or 50(ish) hp injectors.

But.....let me throw a wrench in your situation. The automatic tranny in these trucks is a terrible weak link. They barely hold stock power at that and when you add power/torque it only makes things worse in a hurry. Then tow with all that added power and you'll most likely run into problems.

A tranny temp gauge is a necessity to keep tabs on tranny temps and possibly a new torque converter and band adjustment are in order.

But if there's any positive outlook..... A fully built tranny will cost around $3000 to $5000 and will hold all the power your can dish out.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
I have an Edge EZ and its a great addition for mild power and towing. That said, I understand one of the best towing combo's is the EZ and RV275's or 50(ish) hp injectors.

But.....let me throw a wrench in your situation. The automatic tranny in these trucks is a terrible weak link. They barely hold stock power at that and when you add power/torque it only makes things worse in a hurry. Then tow with all that added power and you'll most likely run into problems.

A tranny temp gauge is a necessity to keep tabs on tranny temps and possibly a new torque converter and band adjustment are in order.

But if there's any positive outlook..... A fully built tranny will cost around $3000 to $5000 and will hold all the power your can dish out.
Thank You,, and my trans will be looked into because my last fluid change ( about 30k miles ago) the fellow said their was some excessive "sludge" in the pan.

I spied a VP-44 for sale on this site (DTR), $1600.00 with core charge included, so it is a $1200.00 pump, what dealer is this thru? any good, bad or ugly things concerning this? VP44 Injection Pump - VP44 1998.5-2002 Dodge 5.69L (235 Hp) Bosch fuel Pump (400.00 Core)

Quick Reply: VP-44 Injection Pump