24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP-44 "How To" Install Vid......i think im going to do one....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAN...i got Part V done...but i cant get it loaded!!! Ill try again on monday.....sorry guys!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Don't be sorry,

THANK YOU FOR THE VIDEO'S. Pictures say a thousand words but a video is just awesome. You don't know how help full this is going to be for ALOT of people.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Great videos Dan, I applaud your effort and the results you are yielding! After watching these I am no longer worried about the VP44, this is not quite as painful as I was expecting and it's nice to have it on video like this.

Again, great work, you will probably never even realize the extent of how much this helps people!

- James
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

Well he's got the last part done but for some reason putfile won't let him load it up. He's gonna try and get it loaded on monday.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:40 PM

wow thanks dan.

what happens if you drop the key? where does it fall?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

I'd imagine it would fall down in the timing case somewhere in the gears and you'd have to fish it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Diesel Dan -
I tried to send you a PM but it looks like you have that turned off. Just wanted to say thanks for doing such a nice job with the videos on the VP44 install. I appreciate it!
I'm on my 5th VP44. Right now I am experiencing some unusual things and am worried it could be the pump. I have the stock fuel delivery system and have been thinking of the FASS or even a Helix 2 with 12 V lift pump. I noticed the truck you are working on in the video has a FASS and you are replacing the VP again. I didn't want to post this on the forum cause I was afraid it would look like I'm trying to stir something up. Do you know what caused the VP to kick it? I am just wondering what your thougths are on what I can do to address the fuel delivery. I have Mach 1.6s and a COMP but have not tapped the wire on this VP44 out of fear...
Again, I appreciate your time with the video. If you have any suggestions for my issue I am all ears. Sorry for the hijack - please email or pm if that is more convenient.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think FASS, or any other fuel dilevery system, has ever claimed a VP44 won't fail if you use their pump. The VP can go bad for numerous reasons. Many people on here have had good fuel pressure when their VP croaked.

Going through that many VP's would tempt me to look elsewhere. Maybe a wiring problem or an onboard computer problem somewhere.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

The VP's fail due to bad machining, the computer boards going bad, lack of fuel pressure, vibration/heat, etc. There's a number of reasons why they fail. The most common is low fuel pressure. So while an aftermarket system can help prevent failure it by no means guarantees it won't fail.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 AM

OK....here they all are in one post!

Click here to watch VP-44-Install----Tools-Needed

Click here to watch VP-44-Install-Part-II-Under-Hood-Tour

Click here to watch VP-44-Install--Part-III----Pump-Removal

Click here to watch Part-IV----Bench-Teardown

Click here to watch Part-V--VP-44-Install-on-Engine

On part "5", you will note a subtitle pop up that says "Shinny side towards Gear" that seem out out place. It is. This got moved out of place when i was editing for some reason...its in reference to the VP-44 nut that was about a min earlier......Guess i should watch these before i set them in stone!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by gies
Diesel Dan -
I tried to send you a PM but it looks like you have that turned off. Just wanted to say thanks for doing such a nice job with the videos on the VP44 install. I appreciate it!
I'm on my 5th VP44. Right now I am experiencing some unusual things and am worried it could be the pump. I have the stock fuel delivery system and have been thinking of the FASS or even a Helix 2 with 12 V lift pump. I noticed the truck you are working on in the video has a FASS and you are replacing the VP again. I didn't want to post this on the forum cause I was afraid it would look like I'm trying to stir something up. Do you know what caused the VP to kick it? I am just wondering what your thougths are on what I can do to address the fuel delivery. I have Mach 1.6s and a COMP but have not tapped the wire on this VP44 out of fear...
Again, I appreciate your time with the video. If you have any suggestions for my issue I am all ears. Sorry for the hijack - please email or pm if that is more convenient.
Thanks,
Jason
Like stated above...there are many ways VP-44's can fail. Lack of fuel pressure is just one of them. Im also guessing that this new fuel might have a few things to do with it.

The pump shown was a Reman about 3 years ago....so it might not have had all the updates that are now implemented today. As you noted in the Vid, the old pump had a used case on it. AND the new, reman unit, had a new fresh case. Little things like that could have played into the life. BUT im just guessing.

If you have gone through 5 pumps….i would start looking at the cause of the failure or remanufacture. This is a high number even for someone with “Bad Luck” with these pumps.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
wow thanks dan.

what happens if you drop the key? where does it fall?

You would have to pull the fnt cover off and see if its in the gears. If it is, your lucky....if it hit the pan......you can try to fish it out with a magnet....OR go on the theory that is could never be sucked into the pick up due to its size and let it be until you rebuild or pull the pan. Mainly you dont want to have the gears spin with the key in the way.....can you say KDP????
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Diesel Dan, thanks a lot, great videos, I hope I never need them but if I do they will be a big help. You might want to check the address on "tools needed" in you last post, it doesn't work for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Yes great job on these videos Dan, ever thought about doing one for the 12-valve guys--how to adjust the timing on a P7100 pump?

Anyway, here is my (non-relevant) question, what model is your Makita driver (your third arm)? It looks like its just a 1/4 hex driver with a 3/8 socket adapter, is it 12 or 14 volts? I've been looking into buying one, but haven't found the right one yet. . . Thanks. . .
Old 06-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DL1221
Yes great job on these videos Dan, ever thought about doing one for the 12-valve guys--how to adjust the timing on a P7100 pump?

Anyway, here is my (non-relevant) question, what model is your Makita driver (your third arm)? It looks like its just a 1/4 hex driver with a 3/8 socket adapter, is it 12 or 14 volts? I've been looking into buying one, but haven't found the right one yet. . . Thanks. . .

OH NO! You would have to ask Dan about his Makita.

Quick Reply: VP-44 "How To" Install Vid......i think im going to do one....