24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?

I am pushing my NV4500 way too far and its costing me.. I lost 5th and had it rebuilt at ammco for $3k.. 2 weeks later I screwed up and hauled 30k for 1400 mikes.. 2 weeks later 5th is vibrating.. I bet ammco doesnt warranty it but who knows.. Its on the road now driving in 4th @ 60mph..

So I have decided that I have 2 choices. 1) I shut down my business

2) I move this wonderful truck up to a medium duty transmission and all my problems will be gone.

Also; there is a very good reason I dont move up to a medium duty truck.. three letters C D L.

So... I am wondering.. has anybody every done this? There are many options out there.. I'd like to pick the cheapest trans out there. I am sure I could find something used for under $1000 and put it to work hauling much less than it was designed for.. but I have no idea what my options are. I realize this will take some fabrication.. okay a lot of fabrication and machine work.. but that is fine and I will do most of the work myself..

It would be nice if I could find someone who has done it before so I know what I am in for..
Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 AM

Is a CDL THAT hard to get? Seems like that might be your best option.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Chapter President

2wd would be easier than 4wd. Probably will have to modify the trans tunnel.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tocapet
Is a CDL THAT hard to get? Seems like that might be your best option.
Its part of my business plan to not have CDL drivers.. I'd rather not get into that if you dont mind.. Just trying to get this truck fixed. After researching I see I posted in the wrong place.. I should have posted under performance.. there is a bit of communication there about doing this.. but mostly auto's.. I want to stick to manual I think.. seems like it would be way more economical.. my other option I guess is to call ATS and see if there rebbuilt NV4500's are up to the task.. sure wish I didnt have to repair mine on the road.. could have bought a ATS.. what a bummer.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
2wd would be easier than 4wd. Probably will have to modify the trans tunnel.
Yes, mine is a 2wd 3500.. 1999. I guess I need to figure out which transmissions were fitted to the ISB in the freightliners.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Chapter President

They had eaton 5spds and 6spds IIRC.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
They had eaton 5spds and 6spds IIRC.
Yeah I am just reading that now.. I guess I could buy everything I need from a salvage yard.. just find a blown 5.9l ISB and buy the bellhousing back maybe. Shorten the driveshaft, build the mounts for it... deal with making the clutch work and that should do it.. should just take $5k and a months work.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The end of your problems seems like a much more straight-forawrd NV5600 swap....I'm not understanding why you wouldn't go that route? It is a much more durable tranny for hauling heavy and the extra gear really tightens up the ratio spread - another benefit for hauling heavy.

Depending on the med. duty tranny, there are going to be some fitment issues with the overall height of the tranny case and shift tower.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
The end of your problems seems like a much more straight-forawrd NV5600 swap....I'm not understanding why you wouldn't go that route? It is a much more durable tranny for hauling heavy and the extra gear really tightens up the ratio spread - another benefit for hauling heavy.

Depending on the med. duty tranny, there are going to be some fitment issues with the overall height of the tranny case and shift tower.
Nah, the NV4500 is rated for 21,000 GCVWR, the 5600 I thinki s rated for 23 or 24k.. I commonly pull about 25k.. its not rated for what I do. I need something rated over 26,000 GCVWR.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok then....

The nearest I can tell, NV5600's seem to be hauling very heavy and reliably at 500+ hp input power. They certainly have a proven record hauling past the OEM GCVWR ratings with well above stock power.

Am I missing something or is that not good enough? From your limited description of your application, you do not appear to be doing anything different than many hotshotters and car carriers that gross out heavier than you. You must remember that the 5600 is quite a departure from the 4500, is nearly twice as heavy and is about as large a transmission as you can reasonably expect to fit in a 2nd gen Ram without extensive modifications.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Ok then....

The nearest I can tell, NV5600's seem to be hauling very heavy and reliably at 500+ hp input power. They certainly have a proven record hauling past the OEM GCVWR ratings with well above stock power.

Am I missing something or is that not good enough? From your limited description of your application, you do not appear to be doing anything different than many hotshotters and car carriers that gross out heavier than you. You must remember that the 5600 is quite a departure from the 4500, is nearly twice as heavy and is about as large a transmission as you can reasonably expect to fit in a 2nd gen Ram without extensive modifications.

Well, I guess I better start looking at that trans then.. but I guess I dont understand how it could work for me rated under what I pull?

I am scared to death to make a mistake at this point. I mean if the trans doesnt hold up I might as well take $6k and toss it out my window and watch it blow away.

I was just looking at this product:
http://www.gearvendors.com/commercial.html

and it seems interesting.. basically it would allow me to stay on the planetary gears of my NV4500.. 1-4 seem to be fine.. its the **** overdrive that is the problem from what I can tell. I dunno.. doggone it.

Yeah I am a car haul just like everyone else.. cept I do not drive and I want to hire older guys that do not have a CDL.. it has been working out fantastic..

I'll look into the 6 speed then.. thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM

I was wrong.. the nv5600 is rated for 26,000 GCVWR.. maybe I will go with it.. **** its pricey.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/nv5600_spec.html
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Personally, if you're tearing up NV4500's, I would stick to your idea of the Med duty tranny...the NV5600 is nice, and I'm sure it will handle it, but I'll bet it would be about as cheap to find everything you need out of a Freightliner or some other MD truck.

Chris
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
Personally, if you're tearing up NV4500's, I would stick to your idea of the Med duty tranny...the NV5600 is nice, and I'm sure it will handle it, but I'll bet it would be about as cheap to find everything you need out of a Freightliner or some other MD truck.

Chris

Yeah.. I tend to agree.. I do not want any more problems.. getting stuck in the middle of missouri just really really sux. You are at the mercy of any repair shop.. although, I have to say they did it reasonable.. and I think the problem we are having now (bad vibration in 5th) is MY fault.. I should NOT have taken that 30,000 load.. STUPID.. I wasnt' thinking and was desperate for a load.. stupid stupid stupid.

If I could find a salvage yard I bet I could have the whole thing for $2k.. maybe.. those transmissions are WAY cheaper than the nv5600.. WAY cheaper from what I can see..
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Chapter President

Another thing to look at is. NV5600's aren't made anymore. Therefore hard to find parts. Stick with the medium duty idea.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?