24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

turbo whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo whine

my turbo has recently started whinning on acceleration, is it time to start shopping for a replacment?
what do you guys reccomend?
it is a stocker and not planning anything major but would like to improve over the stock turbo
thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM

best thing to do, if you are concerned about your turbo, is to take off the elbow going to the air box, and you can grab the end of the turbo shaft, wiggle it around a bit, feeling for play (up, down in-out) if there is play in the bearing then it's time for a rebuild, or a new one. I am not quite shure on the specs for the endplay though.

I usually say if it has movement (espically when from side-side/up-down) it's most likley worn out.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a very nice guy who owns and operates Bell Turbo. That's all he's done for many years is design and rebuild turbos. All kinds of turbos. His name is Pius Eberle. Give him a call and he will give you advice and probably steer you with good information.
Link:
http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...o.541-757-7580

Or:
bellturbo@comcast.net
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM

turbo whine

warmachine, thanks.thanks.thanks,
littlebuddy, thank you as well.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by war machine
best thing to do, if you are concerned about your turbo, is to take off the elbow going to the air box, and you can grab the end of the turbo shaft, wiggle it around a bit, feeling for play (up, down in-out) if there is play in the bearing then it's time for a rebuild, or a new one. I am not quite shure on the specs for the endplay though.

I usually say if it has movement (espically when from side-side/up-down) it's most likley worn out.
Not necessarily. Talk to some aftermarket, High Horsepower Turbo Manufactures about shaft play in the turbos. Some will tell you they have certain amount of shaft play to allow higher hp engines (higher engine oil psi) to pass through he bearings. Side to side and up down is generally OK as long as the fins are not hitting the housing. In/Out shaft movement is bad, which is a result of your thrust bearings gone, which then the turbo should be replaced or rebuilt.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dinner
Not necessarily. Talk to some aftermarket, High Horsepower Turbo Manufactures about shaft play in the turbos. Some will tell you they have certain amount of shaft play to allow higher hp engines (higher engine oil psi) to pass through he bearings. Side to side and up down is generally OK as long as the fins are not hitting the housing. In/Out shaft movement is bad, which is a result of your thrust bearings gone, which then the turbo should be replaced or rebuilt.
I dont believe I would tolerate much side movement on the turbo shaft. If the fan contacts the housing you get all kinds of unwanted stuff in the engine.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

since brand new mine has had side to side play. i've got an IHI on the rail and it also has side to side play. ball bearing turbos have to have some play or they will tend to seize when hot. at least that's what i've read.

http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/fil...nal%20info.php
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A k/n filter .
Old 03-21-2009, 12:04 PM

one problem with checking side-to-side movement when the truck is not running is that there HAS to be some room for the journal bearings to work right. the pressurized oil that allows the shaft to 'float' in the housing needs a little room. if you want the right numbers, get the right specs and measure it properly! a turbo is an expensive part to guess about...
just my 2 cents, but i like my money!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 PM

sorry about all the multiple posts guys, don't know what happened there.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
In my experience a whine isn't generally the turbo's fault, it's usually a small air leak somewhere in the plumbing that whistles when the pressure comes up.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:40 PM

turbo whine

torquefan- thanks. i will check the tubing for fitment and tightness
Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Beast2B
one problem with checking side-to-side movement when the truck is not running is that there HAS to be some room for the journal bearings to work right. the pressurized oil that allows the shaft to 'float' in the housing needs a little room. if you want the right numbers, get the right specs and measure it properly! a turbo is an expensive part to guess about...
just my 2 cents, but i like my money!
We have a winner!

There has to be room for the oil to form a wedge and lift the journal off the bearing. If you have zero clearance, then you have zero room for oil to come in and lube and cool it. Then you will have a very hard-to-turn turbo very soon. Radial play is ok, as long as there is zero contact between rotating and stationary parts. Axial play should be almost non existant on these.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 PM

The design is just like a high pressure turbin pump. The impeller slides all over the place until you turn it on and it pumps the liquid, the liquid on both sides of the impeller hold it steady.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by pwregan
torquefan- thanks. i will check the tubing for fitment and tightness
Here's a picture of a boost pressure tester I rigged up using a 4"x2" Fernco plumbing adapter to test the system for leaks. It works great.

Quick Reply: turbo whine