24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Strange transmission symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info Rick. I'll try that in hopes it works. On the gasket, my B in law told me "no sealer" with the neoprene. Of course, since he does this for a living, he can tightnen the bolts by feel and get it right every time. I didn't pay attention to his torque pattern and wish I would have. Heck, I was under there with him and helped thread the bolts in. I've rebuilt engines and stick shifts but it scares the heck out of me just looking underneath at an auto.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to rebuild tranny's years ago but then a friend of mine decided to do it out of his house. He had been an instructor for most of the big companies, AAMCO, and a couple of others. Now I just take stuff to him. Problem is that I am just getting too old to be doing this stuff. Bigger problem is that I cannot afford to pay someone else to do it.

Rick
Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Problem is that I am just getting too old to be doing this stuff. Bigger problem is that I cannot afford to pay someone else to do it.
I know the feeling? Heck, I'm at the age that by the time I get under the truck, I done forgot what for. I for sure can't afford to pay someone else to do it and then it's hard to find anyone smart and honest enough to do it. With the economy in the tank I'm sure the dealerships are ripping everybody they can so they can meet their overhead. I had to learn how to fix stuff myself because my Momma couldn't afford to pay to get stuff fixed either. Darn, she never told me the day would come when I'd be too old to fix stuff anymore.
I've torn in to all of my old tractors here and didn't think twice about it but when it comes to that truck, which is my main transportation, I try to find someone who knows them like the back of their hands. My wife jokingly said "Why don't you call Jessica to do it?" I laughed, she's my daughter and I raised her so she fixes her own stuff too. She's kept a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton running long enough to put 300k+ miles on it and just two weeks ago "her" daughter took off for California in it to be with her husband who's in the Marines out there. Made the trip without a glitch.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rickf
I have the absolute worst luck on parts in the world! They ordered me a vehicle speed sensor. Of coarse I did not look at it till I got home and they were closed. I specifically told the guy "Transmission" speed sensor. I was even talking to him about the code and no transmission output signal. Does anyone have the correct part number? What they gave me was 05014787AB.

Rick
This picture in post number 3 of this thread shows the part next to the box with the Borg/Warner number on it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
This picture in post number 3 of this thread shows the part next to the box with the Borg/Warner number on it.
That it does, was that there before or did you add it in? I am already deaf, guess I am going blind too.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rickf
That it does, was that there before or did you add it in? I am already deaf, guess I am going blind too.
That was posted on 6-12 with the thumbnail picture.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Ok you guys, I found and fixed the problem. I read jrs_dodge_diesle's FAQs and decided that my grounds for the PCM needed to be cleaned. Cleaned them and the beast has been shifting like new. I posted a "Thank you" in the "suggestions/comments" topic but wanted to put a line here too. Thank you so much for the help. Now here's that smiley
Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
fin

this was a good tread just replaced mine and all the trannt issues cleaned right up.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Well, the very next day after I posted about the trans being fixed, it started all over again and I got concerned. I went back under the hood and lo and behold, it seems I overlooked one of the ground wires and possibly one of the most critical. It is the one going from the left batt down to the frame. Since most everything grounds to the frame this must be critical. Well I cleaned it then went back and recleaned the wire at the PCM. Drove it all over Houston the next day then drove it to work without any issues. Sometimes I leave my brain to sleep in the whole day. It's getting a lot more frequent as time goes by and by and by. Note to self: "Try to be more thorough".