24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Strange transmission symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange transmission symptoms

OK, I have a 98.5 that is acting like an old GM turbo 350! I need some ideas.
When I first start the truck and start out for the first time it does not want to shift out of fist. It will wind up to 3200 and sometimes shift but usually just wait until I let off and then it will shift right to third because I am going fast enough by then. After that first to second is good, second to third is good but third to fourth always hangs way late. Did the ground cleaning, APPS reset, fluid clean and not burnt. It gives the symptoms of a governor hanging but the 47re has no governor so I am stumped. It does not act like it is mechanical in nature because it is not totally consistent. HELP! This is my Daily driver. Can anyone tell me if the speed sensor on the transmission also controls the speedometer?

Rick
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

61 views and no ideas? I figure someone has run into this by now. I figure it has to be a speed sensor or governor circuit, I am not real familiar with these transmissions. I am leaning towards a governor circuit but If I remember correctly these do not have a governor do they? And yes the TV cable is adjusted correctly.

Rick
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
When mine did the same, I changed the speed sensor on the side of the transmission.
Took care of it.
Also make sure the fluid level is good.
Mine likes it to be about a pint or so over the full mark.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

When mine did the same, I changed the speed sensor on the side of the transmission.
Took care of it.
Also make sure the fluid level is good.
Mine likes it to be about a pint or so over the full mark.
I got a chance to put the scanner on it today and bingo! A code for the speed sensor. Not only that while I was watching the data I had no output shaft rpm until it was wound tight and then it showed up and shifted. I don't know if this is the issue with 3-4 shift but I would bet it is. Will order sensor tomorrow.

Rick
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try putting in neutral for 30 seconds or so before you start..
the torque convert might have drained over night.

does it do it every time? or just the first thing in the morning.

-dkenny
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rickf
I got a chance to put the scanner on it today and bingo! A code for the speed sensor. Not only that while I was watching the data I had no output shaft rpm until it was wound tight and then it showed up and shifted. I don't know if this is the issue with 3-4 shift but I would bet it is. Will order sensor tomorrow.

Rick
Changing the vehicle speed sensor should help both problems.
IIRC it's on the driver's side of the transmission near (or on) the tailshaft housing.
It's been a few years since I changed that one.

edited to add photo
Looks like its location is different on 2 wheel drives vs 4 wheel drives.

photo on justanswer.com
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rickf
... Can anyone tell me if the speed sensor on the transmission also controls the speedometer?

Rick
On a 98, the sensor on the side of the transmission is the the output speed sensor that the electronic governor uses. The speed sensor that the speedometer uses is on top of the rear differential housing.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks guys, Just the info I was looking for. Once I got my scanner on there ( those old Bricks are still good for something ) I was able to see there was no shaft output for a while and there was a code for it but the speedo was fine. The locations you gave were a big help. I am used to working on Fords and the speedo is in the rear diff on them.

Rick
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM

I have the absolute worst luck on parts in the world! They ordered me a vehicle speed sensor. Of coarse I did not look at it till I got home and they were closed. I specifically told the guy "Transmission" speed sensor. I was even talking to him about the code and no transmission output signal. Does anyone have the correct part number? What they gave me was 05014787AB.

Rick
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The service manual refers to it as the "transmission output shaft speed sensor". Of course, there was no part number listed, but if you remove yours from the side of the transmission, you might be able to find a part number on it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 AM

I actually found one at Auto-Zone, I figured it would be a Dodge only part. Now I have to see if Dodge will return the other part.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 PM

OK, Sensor fixed it. Went ahead and dropped the pan to see if anything bad was in there, It was perfectly clean. Adjusted the bands and put in a new filter and buttoned it up. Now the **** pan seal leaks! I knew I should have reused the OEM gasket.

Rick
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Been registered here for quite awhile but never posted. I came to search for solution to my 99 Ram 3500 with trans trouble and lo and behold, this thread describes mine to the tee. I did the flush and the filter with no change. I am going to have the sensor checked next. I was hoping that it wasn't the trans itself because I only have 80k on the whole truck and those are light Ks. Thank ya'll for all of the info and I hope I can post back with a happy face.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM

Rick, did you get the kit with the neoprene gasket? My brother in law does tarnsmission flushes for a living and he told me to get the neoprene instead of the cork as the cork tends to break. The neoprene also holds all of the bolts in place in the pan so you can keep the gasket in place on the pan.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Yep, it is the neoprene gasket. I did not use any sealer since it seemed softer than gaskets I have used in the past. Guess I should have. The sensor I took out would not register on the scanner for the first gear shift until I was wound up above 2500. Then it would show up and shift. It would shift 1-2 every time after that. 3-4 was a problem all the time. When I took out the old one I noticed a build-up on the tip of the normal fuzz you get on the pan magnet. I think it was this build up that was interfering with the signal. If you want to just check it out pull the sensor and see if it has a coating of dark metallic fuzz. If it does wipe it off and put it back and try it. might even work. You will lose a quart or so of fluid so have some at the ready. It is an O-ring seal on the sensor so it will reseal with no problem. I might even clean mine and try it when I fix the gasket.

Rick

Quick Reply: Strange transmission symptoms