24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Pressure Drops to Zero at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure Drops to Zero at Idle

I have had the truck non-oped for a while now. We are getting ready to get it back on the road. Just before non-oping, my now ex boyfriend replaced the oil pan. Upon starting the truck (2 years ago), there was zero oil pressure at idle, but normal pressure under acceleration, I didn't deal with it then because I was busy getting dumped and moving lol. Is it possible that the oil pickup tube screen sucked up some gunk from the pan before we changed it? What other things might it be? And no, it is not being driven right now, but I obviously need to get this resolved. I have a "real" fuel pressure gauge in the cab, I'm guessing maybe I should have a "real" oil pressure gauge as well? If so ... any reasonably priced suggestions?

Thanks guys! You've always been wonderful.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
It could also be the oil pickup being lose at the pump.
Your theory about sucking something up before changing the pan is not really probable.. With the pan removed you have the pickup screen right before you.

So, you will need to pull the pan.. check the pickup tube, oil pressure relief valve and look at the bearings. (Since it seems to have been run without oil pressure)

A mechanical gauge would be nice, but usually the electric ones are reliable.

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had 2 oil pressure senders go bad and I now carry a mechanical one in the truck. would drop to zero and then go to normal. I would check with a mechanical gage before I moved on to something else.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
I have had 2 oil pressure senders go bad and I now carry a mechanical one in the truck. would drop to zero and then go to normal. I would check with a mechanical gage before I moved on to something else.
So have I. They seem to soot up and slowly die. Which makes you wonder why he took the oil pan off in the first place. I agree with Alpine, the pan needs to come back off and an inspection of the lower end done.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:34 PM

If I remember correctly (and it was 2 years ago, and I am old, so who the heck knows lol) ... we had to replace the oil pan gasket. I think there was a leak ... that is if I'm remembering correctly.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Also ... after some thought, I remember the gauge didn't have a problem until a while after the oil pan drop and gasket change. I know I wouldn't have driven it with the zero idle oil warning, so it had to have been at least on the road for a bit. It was at that point that I parked it and since the truck and my car tags are due in the same month, decided to non-op it. Fast forward 2 years ... it's time to get her back on the road.

Don't get old guys ... it's hell on the memory.