24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil leak on driver side of block, behind ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak on driver side of block, behind ECU

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4, and I discovered an oil leak that seems to have gotten worse just because I noticed it. I haven't changed the oil in about 4000 miles, so I'm sure it's engine oil because the puddle is black as ink. I don't want anyone to think that I don't maintain my truck. It's a search and rescue vehicle as well as a daily driver, and I spend may hours underneath it fixing and replacing. I love it like a fat kid loves cake. Anyway, the leak seems to be on the drivers side, halfway up the block, hidden behind the engine control unit, in the area of the block behind the fuel lift pump. I gunked the engine yesterday, and I can see the oil leaking down the block from the rear of the engine almost to the front, as if some seal or gasket is leaking along a section of the block midway up the engine. I am familiar with the usual vacuum pump leak (rebuilt it twice), and the spooge hose on the front (plumbed that to the bottom), and the cracking of the oil pan. If I blast the oil off with brake parts cleaner, I can see a fresh trail and a small puddle on the ground within a few hours. I have also noticed that more smoke is coming out of the crankcase breather, so I fear some type of intake gasket problem causing a vacuum leak (maybe unrelated). Any thoughts? I don't even know where to find a diesel mechanic in central Orange County California. Unfortunately, this is Ford country (God forbid).
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM

I would guess its either leaking for the block of plate for the mechanical fuel pump or the tappet cover. The gasket on the tappet cover it a pain to change. The other is not so bad. You can get a gasket from your dealer and you just remove 5 bolt IIRC to change it. Have a picture?

Cummins dealer in Orange County?

Last edited by Purplezr2; 01-02-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
I would guess its either leaking for the block of plate for the mechanical fuel pump or the tappet cover. The gasket on the tappet cover it a pain to change. The other is not so bad. You can get a gasket from your dealer and you just remove 5 bolt IIRC to change it. Have a picture?

Cummins dealer in Orange County?
I may misunderstand but I don't have a mechanical fuel pump, I have the Bosch VP44 (replaced it), maybe you are referring to my lift pump which is also Cummins stock. Could you explain the 5 bolt IIRC? I'm not familiar with that term. Thanks for all your help. I'm hoping to gather enough advice to make a decision to work on it or send it to a good tech.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 AM

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

The five bolts hold the valve cover on.

Even on blocks with an electric transfer pump, there is a block-off plate to seal the opening where the old mechanical lift pump was mounted. If you look behind your Cummins (Carter) electric LP, you will see this block-off plate.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 AM

The 5 bolts I was referring to are the ones that hold the block off plate for the mechanical lift pump(we have a electric but the hole is still in the block). From the description you gave(I reread it). It sounds like the tappet cover gasket.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. I called Cummins Cal Pacific (got a less than enthusiastic response), and they don't repair Dodge trucks locally, only in Montebello, which is around Long Beach/LA area (30 miles). I've asked my local mechanic to take a look at it since it sounds like it is an external fix rather than a dreaded engine block problem. I may tackle it on my own, but I don't have a garage and it's winter and raining in Southern California. I think we all know how harsh SoCal winters are. Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM

Either the valve cover or the block off plate gasket can easily be fixed by even an unexperienced shade tree mechanic with some patience and a few basic hand tools. Each item is only a few bolts to remove and replace. A few metric wrenches is all you need. Your regular mechanic should be able to tackle easy enough. Have him write down your engine number and call a local Cummins dealer for the parts (gaskets) he'll need.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its the tappet cover( side of the block, narrow cover running front to rear) you will have to remove the vp-44 to replace the gasket. One from cummins runs about $20.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Downey, CA - Diesel Tune, Inc.

Haven't been there, but i am pretty sure if i don't get my dead pedal issue resolved i will be heading there
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1NGENRO
Downey, CA - Diesel Tune, Inc.

Haven't been there, but i am pretty sure if i don't get my dead pedal issue resolved i will be heading there
FWIW, VP install is a 4 hr job with common hand tools the 1st time you do it. Search dieseldanmac vp44 on youtube for vids & tool list. The procedure matches the FSM.