24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A new kind of Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A new kind of Transmission problem

4 or 5 years ago I had the tranny rebuild and upgraded internals. It's been running great since then. The locking and unlocking stopped after I replaced the brake pedal switch.

But today on my way to work, it started up fine, ran and shifted fine until I stopped for a light about 10 minutes into the commute. When I stopped I noticed it was vibrating a bit and wanted to keep going. I had to really step on the brakes to not hit the guy in front of me. So I stuck it in neutral. It surged for a tiny bit then idled fine. Reved fine everything was normal. When I put it back into gear it jumped forward and stalled. I stuck it back in neutral and it started right back up and ran perfectly..until I put it in gear. then it jumped and stalled, like it was stuck in gear. I ran through all the gears, shifted back and forth, shut it down started in neutral and park, swore several times By then everyone was gone in front of me so I restarted it in idle, put it up to 1200 rpm and jammed in in Drive. It took off like it was kicked. I turned it around and headed home. It still shifts fine up and down, I can still feel the TC lock up at about 45 but when I stop it feels like the convertor is locking up.
I don't quite no where to start, other than a grand at a tranny shop which I'm not quite ready to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Sounds like the TC solenoid is either bad, has a piece of grit on the seat keeping it from sealing, or the wiring has an issue.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM

Solved!!

I gave up and took it to the double A tranny shop.
Turns out there were some wires that had cracked insulation and were intermittently shorting. They patched the wires and cleared the codes...$190 later I am happily driving in all gears and actually stopping at lights again!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
Solved!!

I gave up and took it to the double A tranny shop.
Turns out there were some wires that had cracked insulation and were intermittently shorting. They patched the wires and cleared the codes...$190 later I am happily driving in all gears and actually stopping at lights again!
Hello There! Thanks for posting your update. Did you have any specific information about which wires and where they were located? Inside the tranny, outside in a harness? Any info would be appreciated!

Mike
Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM

They said outside harness and speed sensor but as soon as I get a chance I'm going to crawl under her and see what patches they made. When I do I'll post photos.