24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lost injection pump key

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost injection pump key

Upon reinstalling the injection pump after doing a tappet cover gasket I lost the shaft key. At this point I can't prove that it didn't fall into the housing, Wondering what to do next? I'm thinking I should pull the vacumn pump to get a look further down. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also what can I do about replacing the key if I don't find it?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
The key is select fit for the injection pump, arrow points toward pump. You will need to pull front cover to locate it. Did you try using flex magnet first might pick it up that way. I always install the pump with keyway at the top. Less chance of key coming loose then, use a mirror if not aligned then turn pump shaft small increment until they do. Just pull the battery cables so nobody cranks over the engine while pump is out. Always make sure the key is all the way in the keyway slot and even front and back. Pull the cover you'll find it no sweat.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 PM

I did everything you suggested. When I pulled the pump I noticed the key wasn't in it, I have a rock driveway and it could be in between the rocks but I can't find it. I will pull the front cover and see if I can find it in their, If I don't find it what do you think I should do for a replacement key?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Cummins Guru

be sure 3–digit number stamped to top of keyway is same as 3–digit number stamped to injection pump data plate. Key is calibrated to the pump for timing purpose.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Cummins Guru

Go to home depot and pick up a nail magnet, it's on a pole and is the most powerful magnet I have ever used. It will find it if it is on the ground. Works really well

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-T...8#.UkY8br3n99A
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Cummins Guru

The calibration number is stamped in the pump you would need to order that key # for that pump. Try the sweep of the yard with nail magnet first may get lucky and find it right away. Make sure you align the gears if you didn't mark them.
Good Luck
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM

If I understand you correctly I can purchase a key that will have 3 numbers on it matching the numbers on the IP? I like your idea of the nail magnet. I've never heard of one but will head to home depot in the morning. Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Cummins Guru

Put a plastic bag over it and you could return it when done
I used them on my driveway when construction was going on, was tired of getting flat tires when new roof was going on my house. Will pick up nails from grass or out of the dirt. The one with wheels works great but might be over kill for your needs.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Cummins Guru

Originally Posted by Duck Soup
If I understand you correctly I can purchase a key that will have 3 numbers on it matching the numbers on the IP? I like your idea of the nail magnet. I've never heard of one but will head to home depot in the morning. Thanks
I have never needed to replace key, maybe someone else will chime in with that info for you. Possible rebuilder item only for the Bosch VP44 If you don't use the right key you will get a DTC P0216 error code, white smoke, and poor running truck.
Found this thread someone used a replacement key without a problem but I have never done that before.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...4-t235897.html
Old 10-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I changed my last VP44, I got in a hurry and misaligned the key into the drive gear. I realized the screw up as I did it and found I had mashed the key.
I called my pump re-builder, Pensacola Diesel.They told me where the key number was stamped on the pump and for a small fee they sent me a new key.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 AM

as long as a key would fit correctly, I can't see a single reason why someone couldn't use another key. using a key from another shaft would not affect timing or be the cause for any CEL's, as long as the key fit correctly.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by rightwinger
as long as a key would fit correctly, I can't see a single reason why someone couldn't use another key. using a key from another shaft would not affect timing or be the cause for any CEL's, as long as the key fit correctly.
Yes they will, even installing the correct key backwards will goof you up. They are offset keys to phase the pump in.

As someone who was on the wrong end of the wrench learning this lesson , let me assure you at is real.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Yes they will, even installing the correct key backwards will goof you up. They are offset keys to phase the pump in.

As someone who was on the wrong end of the wrench learning this lesson , let me assure you at is real.
Not doubting you one bit, but what do you mean by "phase the pump in" I'm not familiar with that term. I just replaced a VP and although I put the key in correctly, I am still trying to understand how it would mess things up if the key was in backwards...unless the key going in backwards didn't allow the timing gear to mesh correctly or something like that. I realize the key does have an arrow on it and I'm sure this is why they stamped that on the key, but just trying to figure out why. Keep in mind I was always the kid at X-mas who tore apart his brand new toys just to see how they worked....LOL
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish you were correct, buy these are "timed keys" they are cut with an offset measured in thousandths of an inch and stamped with a number that corresponds to the offset.

The pump is calibrated to a particular offset.
Wrong key, wrong injector timing ,
Bad for performance,
Bad for fuel economy.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Not doubting you one bit, but what do you mean by "phase the pump in" I'm not familiar with that term. I just replaced a VP and although I put the key in correctly, I am still trying to understand how it would mess things up if the key was in backwards...unless the key going in backwards didn't allow the timing gear to mesh correctly or something like that. I realize the key does have an arrow on it and I'm sure this is why they stamped that on the key, but just trying to figure out why. Keep in mind I was always the kid at X-mas who tore apart his brand new toys just to see how they worked....LOL
If you look at the key, the portion that goes in the gear is misaligned with the portion that goes in the pump. They trim in the timing with the amount of offset in the key.

Sounds stupid to me as well, but the first time I did a VP I put the key in backwards, what an ill running truck.

Seems to me they could do something electrically to time it in, but they don't.

Quick Reply: Lost injection pump key