24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lift pump wiring ?

I currently have an intank pump that must have been instaled by the dealer under the previous owner . I only get 7psi at idel . I'm re-working the entire fuel system with 1/2" lines , and on the tank I'm mounting the vulcan draw straw .

From the draw straw I want to goto the orignal style factory pump which I'm mounting on the frame near the tank .

Can anyone help me as far as how to wire the new pump and de-power the intank pump ? The whole intank setup will remain where it is and the drawstraw will tap at anoter area , hence the reason for disabling the intank pump .

thx
Old 09-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need the Vulcan relocation kit as well as the Vulcan Drawstraw to do that. The relocation kit comes with the cable that will connect the OEM style lift pump to the original wiring up next to the fuel filter on the block. You run the wire down the frame & connect it to your pump. The kit also comes with the bracket to mount the pump on the frame rail next to the tank. Unplugging the intank pump from the original plug by the fuel filter will also disable the intank pump. But it might also disable your fuel guage. If you're going to drop the tank to install the drawstraw, you might try to find an original tank module without the pump in it. A little wiring & plumbing and you should be OK.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tocapet
You need the Vulcan relocation kit as well as the Vulcan Drawstraw to do that. The relocation kit comes with the cable that will connect the OEM style lift pump to the original wiring up next to the fuel filter on the block. You run the wire down the frame & connect it to your pump. The kit also comes with the bracket to mount the pump on the frame rail next to the tank. Unplugging the intank pump from the original plug by the fuel filter will also disable the intank pump. But it might also disable your fuel guage. If you're going to drop the tank to install the drawstraw, you might try to find an original tank module without the pump in it. A little wiring & plumbing and you should be OK.
Hi , my problem is I dont have the original tank module . I have all the plubming worked out though so I can just tap the tank without disturbing the current module .

But I need my fuel level guage to work , so I'm looking to find out how to disable the pump while keeping the guage . Also I dont see an empty harness where the OEM pump used to be , Im not sure how the dealership re-routed the power to the in-tank pump . The tank is droped btw . thx
Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by O.fO.shO
Hi , my problem is I dont have the original tank module . I have all the plubming worked out though so I can just tap the tank without disturbing the current module .

But I need my fuel level guage to work , so I'm looking to find out how to disable the pump while keeping the guage . Also I dont see an empty harness where the OEM pump used to be , Im not sure how the dealership re-routed the power to the in-tank pump . The tank is droped btw . thx
my truck has an in-tank pump also.the plug for the LP was run to a relay and used for a trigger.then a wire off the relay for power to the in-tank pump.if your's is like this you will be able to use this wire for your new pump.this will be a better way of powering your new pump.you can pull more amps and not fry the ecm.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:45 PM

But his plug will be different. He'll have to trace the wires and find out which ones power the pump, then cut them and splice in a plug that will fit the OEM pump that he plans to mount on the frame rail. That way, his fuel guage will still work! Later on, when he has the cash, he could swap in a FASS or a Walbro.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tocapet
But his plug will be different. He'll have to trace the wires and find out which ones power the pump, then cut them and splice in a plug that will fit the OEM pump that he plans to mount on the frame rail. That way, his fuel guage will still work! Later on, when he has the cash, he could swap in a FASS or a Walbro.
sorry my reading comprehension not so good.i would just unplug the relay from the factory harness,if his was done like mine.the factory LP plug will still be there and can be routed with the vulcan harness from the kit