24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump backup

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lift pump backup

Ok here we are again on the @#$% lift pump. I know there are probably a dozen "cures" and solutions with probably the FASS or the new belt drive the best so far.

I want to throw out this to those who really can't or don't want to spend $500+ for the final solution, but want some kind or redundancy or ability to continue driving after LP failure.

My scanner is messed up so I can't provide a drawing but you may be able to follow this by drawing the fuel circuit from the tank, to the LP, to the FF, then to the VP44. Forget the return line.

On the 99 model there are 2 fittings on top of the fuel filter housing..one inlet and one outlet which are convient for pressure testing. Now, would it not be ok to put a fitting for a hose in the inlet opening, run a line down along the frame, put in a small manual shut off valve (similar to fuel tank switch valve), connect this to a Holley Black (14 psi) pump, then tee this into the outlet from the tank? The way this would work is that with the valve in position one the circuit would function as it does stock, switch the valve to position two and it blocks the stock lift pump line and allows Holley pump pressure to the inlet side of the fuel filter. Since the valve is a 3 way it will block return from the LP so a check valve is not required. No flow will occur through the LP.

Electrically it will require a relay and a switch connected so it would be on with the ignition switch just as the LP is.

Essentially you would flip the electrical switch and turn the valve to position 2 for operation on the Holley.

What do y'all think???

bentwings
Old 06-21-2004, 09:47 PM

i think a holley red back by tank,,with a bypass around it(with check valve in bypass line),,..................about $120bucks total...........bama
Old 06-25-2004, 09:42 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone tried using an after market fuel pump instead of replacing the lift pump? not as a back up but total replacment?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:56 PM

Holley Blue back by the tank. No lift pump. All here!

Talk with Ryan, member here by that name.

Matt
Old 06-27-2004, 01:47 AM

I'm running a holly Blue back by the tank. I bypassed the old lift pump completely. So far it is working great. 15 PSI idle, 14+ PSI floored pulling a horse trailer. I tapped into the fuel line and ran a hose straight to the filter inlet.

I did not want to play the lift pump game. I went straight to using a holly blue. I keep a sandwitch bag with the old parts if I wanted to use the old lift pump again (it was running 8 PSi idle, 4 PSI WOT).
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am gonna go for the Blue!!