24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaking injector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking injector?

Hello All,

I'm getting white smoke on start up if my fuel pump runs for more than a couple minutes with the engine off. It seems to be fuel related because I can duplicate it. If I start it right after the heater grid turns off, no smoke. If I wait with the fuel pump on I get smoke. More smoke if it's cold, less if it's at opperating temp. Is this a typical symptom of a leaking injector...or something else? Thanks ahead of time for help!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM

Anyone have any idea's?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 AM

Sounds normal to me. The fuel lift pump cannot deliver fuel to the engine directly. The injection pump controls that.

What is happening, is that when you start with the grid heaters still warm, the fuel is burning in the engine as it should. When you sit and let the fuel pump run, the grid heater is allowed more time to cool down, and so when you fire it up, the engine is dealing with colder air, so the fuel is not completely burned. The white smoke is unburnt fuel from a cold burn.

Keep in mind, the fuel in the engine is ignited by the heat of compression. If the air coming in is colder, it makes it harder to burn the fuel. If the engine is colder, it cools the air also. Cooler air means less effective burn-unburnt fuel=white smoke.

In short, don't worry about it at all.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by totalloser
Sounds normal to me. The fuel lift pump cannot deliver fuel to the engine directly. The injection pump controls that.

What is happening, is that when you start with the grid heaters still warm, the fuel is burning in the engine as it should. When you sit and let the fuel pump run, the grid heater is allowed more time to cool down, and so when you fire it up, the engine is dealing with colder air, so the fuel is not completely burned. The white smoke is unburnt fuel from a cold burn.

Keep in mind, the fuel in the engine is ignited by the heat of compression. If the air coming in is colder, it makes it harder to burn the fuel. If the engine is colder, it cools the air also. Cooler air means less effective burn-unburnt fuel=white smoke.

In short, don't worry about it at all.
sounds right to me!