24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

It's official!!!!!!!NO MORE LP'S

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really any help but for some newbs researcging thos, The best way I can desrcibed the fuel system, is the injectors are nothing more than a driver controlled fuel leak. More loud pedal the bigger the fuel leak, hence the reason of trying to get a good LP to make up for the increased "leak". That being said, I'm gonna stick with my orginal plan, run it as is, and worse case use it as a pusher for a frame mounted pump. I had pix taken of the pump for you guys, and dont have it in front of me. So as soon as it gets to me, I'll drop it in. Hope its soon, since my fuel level is acting up and this will fix 2 at once for me, I can bring my FP down to 0 without hitting WOT. Just noticed this weekend my idle FP has gone down to 9 instead of the 10-11 it used to be.

JYRO, as far as getting your truck in. I'm gonna say no. It didnt work with mine, the service center did try to "sneak" it in, wrote it up as warranty but Dodge said no, I asked if they could also pull the codes just to see, and the computer was clean, Theye didnt charge me anything either. I was happy with this dealer. If you can get it done good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Got a email from DC this morning ....The Dealer Technical Support Department has received several calls from dealers regarding low fuel pressure after installing an in-tank fuel pump module kit. Typically these concerns arise from customers who have installed a fuel pressure gauge and have noticed a substantial drop in fuel pressure after the engine mounted transfer pump was replaced by an in-tank fuel pump. As mentioned in Technical Service Bulletin # 14-002-03, "Diesel Transfer Pump Diagnosis" the improved procedures test the "flow" capability of the pump to determine if sufficient fuel is reaching the injection pump from the low-pressure system. Please inform owners with low fuel pressure concerns that as long there is sufficient flow, (1.33 litres in 25 seconds) there is enough fuel being supplied to the high pressure pump and in-tank pump replacement is NOT required.

When diagnosing a driveability concern, DO NOT replace in-tank pumps for low fuel pressure, they should ONLY be replaced if they flow less than 1.33 liters in 25 seconds. If sufficient fuel reaches the injection pump from the low-pressure system, then the cause of the engine performance problem lies elsewhere.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Uh-huh, right......so when the customer's FP drops to 0 psi that is ok?!?!......personally, I think the Cummins LP test is a bunch of hog wash! Who cares what the free flow of the LP is? I want to know how it flows under pressure and you can't measure that without an inline flow meter......without the pump running under pressure (load) you have no idea what kind of shape it is in!! Several people here have watched their LP performance deteriorate to the point where it needs to be replaced only to be told it passes the LP flow test!! A weak pump will free flow just fine because it is not under pressure!! But what you can do is observe the FP of the LP as a basis for how the LP is performing since all pressure is is the resistance to flow. In this case, if one LP maintains 15 psi at idle and the in-tank LP produces 8 at idle, the pump operating at the lower pressure is actually flowing less when all the other variables remain constant. As flow inreases, so too will the pressure if everything else remains constant - it is that simple. I find it strange that we preach about FP and then another LP comes along and all of a sudden FP is no longer important?!?! There seems to be a lack of understanding on how pressure and flow are related and what each really means.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM

If we are to measure flow rate, I would want to see what is returning to the tank. The flow heading back home would be the minimum, that the IP sees. Flow after all the variables that can happen, I believe would be a better diagnosis of a fuel system.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:05 PM

CTD Nut,
That was my issue! When I installed my FP gauge, I was getting 5-6 at idle and it would almost immediately drop to or near 0 the minute I breathed on the throttle. Sometimes, I'd get 8 or 9 at idle and it would hold at 5 on cruise. But mostly would drop to 0. When I went into my local DC dealer service for an oil-x I asked about it since I was at 81k on the odo and didn't want to wait for my LP to completely go T-U and burn out the VP. There was a tech behind the service writer who was overhearing my description. He said "Well.... you don't get much more than 7 or 8 psi at idle anyhow." When I mentioned the "going to 0 on acceleration" he replied with "Well, must be a faulty gauge or something." B.S!!!
So basically they didn't want to deal with me until it failed. And even when it failed, without the gauge I'd have never known it because a FP test at the Schrader valve is not part of the normal service checks. So now that I KNEW that the LP was failing, they didn't want to do any warranty work on it. It ****** me off so much that I said screw it! and bought the pump from Hoesli Diesel myself and installed it.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:52 PM

How well is this HOESLI pump working? Is this a second pump added to provide fuel to the engine mounted LP? I would like to hear some more about it , like does the engine mounted LP now always send more than 5 PSI to the IP causing it to bypass fuel for cooling.

Also does the HOESLI VP44 rebuilt pump have the new fedx mod so the computer does not fail under heat????