Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   It's official!!!!!!!NO MORE LP'S (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/its-official-no-more-lps-74428/)

TRAVIST 08-05-2005 10:52 AM

It's official!!!!!!!NO MORE LP'S

Just got my stock order in this morning and DC has superceded the old transfer/lift pump part number to the new in tank style pump. This means that DC will now pay for it under warranty if you are still under warranty. The old style lift pump are no longer available through chrysler, the only thing you can get now is the in tank pump kit 5175538aa. They have finally come up with a fix for the problem and stepped up to pay for it if you still have warranty.

Just a little FYI for a Friday morning.

TRAVIST

CTD NUT 08-05-2005 11:34 AM

Does this apply to 2nd gens still under warranty?

TRAVIST 08-05-2005 11:39 AM

This applies to all 24v's from 98.5 to 2002. I had spoken to our dc warranty rep last week and he said that if the part number does not change then it is an option for the customer to convert over. However if it changes part numbers to the new kit then dc will pay for it under warranty assuming you still have warranty. So they will now pay for it under your warranty.

hotdram 08-05-2005 12:28 PM

I guess you need to make sure you don't have a full tank of fuel when you go in.
That would be a waste.

~Rob

TRAVIST 08-05-2005 12:46 PM

Not sure about other shops but here at ours we don't bother with dropping the tank. We will undo the bed bolts and lift the front of the box up enough to get under and work on the tank from the top side. Much easier than dropping the tank and usually faster as well.

signature600 08-05-2005 01:05 PM

How about part numbers...anyone have them??

Thanks,
Chris

TRAVIST 08-05-2005 01:09 PM

Chris, look up. It's in the first post.

yarddog 08-05-2005 02:32 PM

So even if there's nothing wrong with the existing pump they will put this in for free?

I don't believe it.

hotdram 08-05-2005 02:38 PM

Originally posted by yarddog
So even if there's nothing wrong with the existing pump they will put this in for free?

I don't believe it.

I don't believe that's what TRAVIST is saying. I believe he is saying is: if your existing pump is diagnosed as being out of spec AND you are still under warranty, the fix will be made with the new pump in the tank as a warranty claim.

~Rob

Geico266 08-05-2005 02:38 PM

Confirms what I have said all along, these pumps were meant to push, not suck fuel, and the vibration from the motor kills them.

What really sucks is having to learn the hard way about LP's and how to "fix" them because I used my truck more than the next guy, but now I'm out of warranty. Seems to be unfair to me, but thats life. I'll put in a FASS II before I give DC $$$.

CSAGrey1 08-05-2005 02:49 PM

That sux!!
I just paid to have my LP and IP replaced 'bout 2.5 mths ago. The new LP came with a parts warranty. I wonder if it will cover the conversion should it go bad again? Of course I am probably screwed since I went to Cimmins NorthWest instead of the DC dealer.

tony3542 08-05-2005 04:41 PM

I've got a "99" with only 78,000 so I guess I'm #%it out of luck?
Thanks,
tony3542

J BODY 08-05-2005 08:30 PM

Originally posted by CSAGrey1
That sux!!
I just paid to have my LP and IP replaced 'bout 2.5 mths ago. The new LP came with a parts warranty. I wonder if it will cover the conversion should it go bad again? Of course I am probably screwed since I went to Cimmins NorthWest instead of the DC dealer.

Interesting how many cuss Dodge about the lift pump woes, when it was mother Cummins who provided the fuel system with the engine package. That very same lift pump is on alot of different types of vehicles. Motorhomes, big Ford trucks (650 I believe), local Snap On mans tool rig, my city's street sweepers......and they all have the same prob.

Geico266 08-05-2005 09:13 PM

The problem is its a Carter. They make junk carbs also.

piperca 08-05-2005 09:40 PM

I read a thread over on TDR regarding the fuel pressures this unit is giving out. It seem that at idle it's around 8 psi. Someone with a stock truck was able to bring it down to 0 psi @ WOT... not too promising!