24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Insight please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insight please

I found that my turbo intake hose was loose, so I removed it to look inside and found oil residu on the turbo housing and the blades. I run a K&amp;N but it is serviced properly with no excessive oil. The air box is clean and free of oil and so is the intake hose. Where is this oil coming from? There is also movement in the shaft within the turbo, should I be concerned?<br><br><br> Joe
Old 01-26-2003, 10:23 PM

Re:Insight please

I noticed the same thing on our 94. We thought the bushings went out so we took it apart and there was nothing wrong. Put it back together and the shaft was tight again. I was wanting to know the same about the black color on the blades. If you look at my webshots account there are some pics of the turbo.<br>Chase
Old 01-26-2003, 10:30 PM

Nothing to worry about, If you grab the shaft you can get movement up &amp; down. In &amp; out movement is bad.I wouldn`t worry about the oil either.<br> Danny
Old 01-27-2003, 09:07 AM

Nothing agains't your K&amp;N filter but the guys that get over a million miles off of these CTD's will not use anything but OEM filters. Air filters that let more dirt into your engine put more wear on your engine. It's worse than using a cheap oil filter. You should be doing oil analysis to determine how much dirt you are getting from this filter.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:53 AM

I agree with Pit Bull - stay with OEM filters until after the warranty period at least. The engineers who desigh this stuff know more about the performance characterisitcs of the components than most people know about average stuff - it is their job. The filters they recommend are based on the trade-off between performance and longevity. Many after market filters, such as oil filters, filter more particles but reduce oil flow, meaning the oil is cleaner but maybe not enough of it to properly lubricate - same with air filters: more flow generally means more particles (more wear in this case). The main thing here is it is always a trade-off between performance and longevity!
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 PM

OK, gents, I am the one who originally installed the K&amp;N in that truck. It has been properly serviced, and installed. There is no oily residue from the filter present in the intake hose. The oily residue is NOT from the filter.

Post modified by Moderator.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:20 PM

yeah the pics I had of mine was after I cleaned most of the crap off it. And the truck was bone stock. <br>Chase
Old 01-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

For the naysayers to aftermarket air filters...please explain to me why oil analysis' of my first Dodge Ram [1990] that I sold with 430,000 miles had never had a silicon level over 4ppm and I ran aftermarket the moment it was available? The truck also hauled cars for a living in many different climates and environments. It was still running without an overhaul at over 780,000 miles last time I spoke to the guy that bought it.

Then, why would my 96' Ram have whisps of dust down the insides of the air box with the factory air filter and high silicon levels?

My 98.5 had black soot like film on the blades and I never had a high silicon reading but I did bark the turbo a lot with the added power I had on that truck. Could it be from the barking? Could it be the play that the turbo shaft had?
Replaced the turbo and paid for that myself and the black residue never returned. There was play in the shaft long before I added any power.

In addition, my system that I developed has a better more superior seal then the lousey air boxes that the trucks come with.

Sorry I got off topic on this to some degree. It kind of bothers me when folks think that its the filter when it could very well be something much more obvious like the pc. o' crap factory air box or a turbo that never got the TLC to meet its specs before it was put on the truck from the factory.

More air does not always mean more dirt. My oil analysis' have proven that. :P
Old 01-28-2003, 09:55 PM

My question still stands, Where is the oil residu coming from? As stated in my original post, the K&amp;N was serviced properly, no oil residu in air box or in intake hose. If it was the K&amp;N, there would be at least a trace of oil (even miniscule) on the air box or intake hose. This post wasn't put here as a pro or con for air filters. I understand the diagnostic path that should be taken, but as I said, no oil in air box or intake hose.<br><br> thanks Joe
Old 01-28-2003, 10:23 PM

Joe,
I think the oil seal in your turbo might be going..... :'(

I had the same problem when I bought my truck used with 72,000mi on the clock. It had the stock airbox on it too! Was the perfect reason for me to upgrade to the PDR35 at the time! ;D It was all down hill from there.... : How many people do you know bought a modified turbo as their 1st bomb? I am sure I am one of the few....

Just do it &amp; get a PDR! 8)
Old 01-28-2003, 10:26 PM

Ok Steve, <br>Maybe I should, lets see what happens.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=NAIL BENDER link=board=4;threadid=10144;start=0#97666 date=1043812502]<br>My question still stands, Where is the oil residu coming from? As stated in my original post, the K&amp;N was serviced properly, no oil residu in air box or in intake hose. If it was the K&amp;N, there would be at least a trace of oil (even miniscule) on the air box or intake hose. This post wasn't put here as a pro or con for air filters. I understand the diagnostic path that should be taken, but as I said, no oil in air box or intake hose.<br><br> thanks Joe<br>[/quote]<br><br>In my post above I mentioned this...<br><br>My 98.5 had black soot like film on the blades and I never had a high silicon reading but I did bark the turbo a lot with the added power I had on that truck. Could it be from the barking? Could it be the play that the turbo shaft had?<br>Replaced the turbo and paid for that myself and the black residue never returned. There was play in the shaft long before I added any power. <br><br>Hope you get it resolved. <br>
Old 01-29-2003, 12:51 PM

Thanks for your replies. ;D