24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I wish I had known this 12,000 mile ago

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I wish I had known this 12,000 mile ago

Within in a week of joining DTR, I discovered that I know nothing about CTD's.

What would cause me to go outside in 20* weather and change the oil in my 24 valve? For that last 12,000 miles I had been using a Fram oil filter.

I have read some pretty scary stuff here about my ignorance, and today I drove to St. Louis bought three Fleetguards from a Cummins distributor. On the ice in my driveway and in 20* I changed my oil and filter.

I hope that I don't have to pay a lot later for my mistake.

Thanks again,

James
Old 02-04-2004, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't freak out about it. There was a problem with the seal/gasket material used in Fram filters several years ago that caused some problems but I'm pretty sure that particular materials issue was corrected by Fram some time ago... but it is the nature of the Internet to propogate negative information indefinitely. That said I certainly wouldn't choose a Fram filter as my first choice and would definitely go with a Fleetguard for the Cummins engine, but contrary to what others may say your engine won't blow up just because you had a Fram filter installed for a while.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:37 PM

When I first started hanging out here, I was towing a 5th wheel without gauges and breaking all the rules on min and max temps. I had also used a fram filter and I didn’t know a thing about bombing (well 2 out of three is not too bad). This site has saved me a ton of money; and let me spend it on upgrades for the truck and not unnecessary repairs. And all this knowledge and advice I have gained for FREE. Try hanging around a shop with all the questions and see where that will get you.
Which brings up another subject.
That is why I was glad to donate to the site. We have over 10,000 members and if everyone would just give a few bucks (what you would spend at the soda/snack machine in a week) they would have the money needed for a new server. We would win again.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=36493
There is a “Make a Donation” button at the top of the page. Hey it’s easier to use than changing the air filter. Come on guys lets see that donors list grow.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:24 PM

I hope you at least used more than one fram filter in those 12,000 miles.I would not worry too much about damage. You like many of us will find a wealth of information about the CTD on this site. Sometimes I think that we carry things to the ninth degree and that we don't always give these motors as much credit for being tough and forgiving as we should. But certainly when the use of a product may void your warranty you should use caution.
You can with this site gain enough facts, opinions and information to make a commonsense judgement, for yourself, about a great many things concerning your truck.Welcome and enjoy .
Old 02-04-2004, 07:16 PM

the original frams had noeprene that would get loose and cause stoppage problems.the updated frams quit using the neoprene as they knew of the problem.the updated filters end with an 'A' on the number.this is the info. that i`ve found on the subject.i would personally stick with the fleetguard though.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:30 PM

You warrenty can be voided if a non-approved filter is used on your truck.

The Fram is a non-approved Filter.

I would do a search for "Approved Filters". Dodge has a specific list of filters you can use on the Cummins.

Dodge is the warrentier of the Cummins in the Dodge, not Cummins. Cummins can work on them, but Dodge gets the bill for warrenty work.

Merrick
Old 02-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Hey i'm just woundering but why don't yall just buy Mopar Oil filters? They only cost about $6.50 How much do yalls filters run?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by DODGE4X4
Hey i'm just woundering but why don't yall just buy Mopar Oil filters? They only cost about $6.50 How much do yalls filters run?
Where the heck are you gettin' Mopar filters for $6.50? They're $12.50 at the local dealer here!
Old 02-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
rattle_rattle:

Try this website for low priced "Fleetguard" Oil Filters
for your 2002:

www.genosgarage.com

Their "standard" Fleetguard Oil Filter (LF3959) is: $5.95
Their "Stratapore" (Better) Fleetguard(LF3894)is: $8.50

---------
John_P
Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Merrick:

You are "scaring" these guys now!!

Here at our Dodge Dealership in Jacksonville, N.C. they
have replaced at least two (2) Dodge Cummins 5.9 24
valve engines UNDER WARRANTY due to someone using
an "unauthorized oil filter" (both were Fram's)!! But,.....
BEFORE they/Daimler Chrysler would do the work, both
owners had to sign a "waiver/release from liability" that
they would use ONLY the "authorized filters" by DC/Cummins!!
Both owners did that and the engines were replaced with
NO CHARGES!!!

But,.......MAYBE it is different down there in the Lone Star
State!!!

---------
John_P
Old 02-07-2004, 05:27 PM

Smiller hit the nail on the head, its old news. Very unlikely you have done your vehicle any damage. Keeping the flamers alive and the "my brother in law once knew a guy" stuff only perpetuates ignorance and aids no one. Heck it'll even help the dealers void your warranty. Yup Fram had a problem and they fixed it. Fleetguard just sounds cooler than Fram that's why I use it

My JiffyLube (local chain of grease monkeys) store and I have made a really cool little agreement, I bring my own oil and filter. They change that oil n filter, grease, lube, vacum, let me flirt with the counter chicky, free coffee, check my tire pressure, change my wiper blades, wash the K&N, check my blinker fluid (i think they are actually ripping me off on this deal) all for well under $40.00 bucks. Never again will I lay in rain, snow, slush, gravel, hot pavement, with hot oil leaking down to my armpit. Just seems like money well spent.

Aaron
Old 02-07-2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by John_P
Merrick:

You are "scaring" these guys now!!

Whoops,, wasn't my intention.

I think dealers are different everywhere you go.

My dealer actually did a complete long block under warrenty, and the truck had a K&N, Edge COMP, gauges, and a South Bend Clutch.

Some dealers void warrenties just because of oversized tires,,, stating, "extra stress on the drivetrain and motor".

My Advice,, spend $40 on research, and but one oil filter from a couple manufactures of your choice, and cut them in half, and see which one you like best. (or maybe save $40, and do research on the 'net)

Merrick