24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hydroboost and vaccum pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydroboost and vaccum pump

I'm changing my brake booster and my vaccum pump this week just wondering if there was anything special about changing these things. If anyone knows could you tell me the name of the two high pressure hoses that run off of it are call one of them has a hole and i need to get it replaced. And one last question is there anywhere on the net i can find a vaccum pump for cheaper than 400$? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

What is wrong with your vacuum pump? Check out fixinrams for seal kit and instructions. I think Peter will also have some extras for cheap. You may need the braided steel line that goes between the vac pump & the block. Mine was rusted & had to be cut.

Check the parts stores for the rubber lines. It may be a st dealer item.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Well I'm loosing vaccum somehow I figured it just went out. But I'll be sure to check the braided line. Also does anyone know what the seal between the vaccum pump and power steering box is called and what are the two high pressure hoses going from the hydroboost to the steering pump are called
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll just tell the parts guy where the line goes from and to. It's actually the PS pump the lines are running from. The vacuum pump is mounted in front of the PS pump. The vacuum pump has a rubber line that comes off the side of it, and is totally separate from the power steering/brake system. The vacuum is used for HVAC control and cruise control.
The next question is, why do you think you need to change the vacuum pump, or did you really mean the PS pump? Is the PS pump not working, or what?

Chris
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999blackcloud
Well I'm loosing vaccum somehow I figured it just went out. But I'll be sure to check the braided line. Also does anyone know what the seal between the vaccum pump and power steering box is called and what are the two high pressure hoses going from the hydroboost to the steering pump are called
There is much discussion about resealing the vac pump to stop an oil leak. I suggest you do some research or talk to Peter but to each his own. You can also install a vacuum gauge & measure your vacuum. If you haven't measured vacuum, how do you know that you are losing it? Then, if you have a vacuum leak, it may not be a bad pump but a leak from a hose for example in the heater control.

Braided line is an oil line & only needs to be changed if it is rusted.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Alright well I'm loosing vaccum cause my tranny jumps in and out of OD my air only blows out of the defrost vent and my cruise control is not working and the PS pump is fine I'm leaking ps fluid from somewhere it has pressure from where ever it's leaking cause it is spraying. Do any of you know where I can buy a hydroboost and don't say any auto part store cause I've checked and none of them have the right one lol doesr anyone know why that could be? I'm not worried about the vaccum pump as much as I am the hydroboost so can anyone help with that
Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Tranny jumping in and out of OD IS not vacuum related! Cruise and defrost are controlled by vacuum, also likely if you have a 4x4 it wont engauge the front diff as well (some 02's are electriclly controlled cruise), typically its a line disconnected some where, very rarely a vacuum pump.
if your spraying PS fluid, (your post is very confusing!!!!) best to find out where from. unless your trying to tell us its from the hydroboost, not many places for the HB to leak from except, inbetween the master cyl and HB/ inside the cab where the brake rod goes into the HB. and of course the lines that go to the HB. You might want to take it some where to have a pro look at it if for nothing else to find your leak

I'd say judging from your
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 PM

I second NickG. We will be glad to help you, but please don't jump to conclusions, and post as much information about what's going on as you can. We will be trying to save you money as well. I assume you want to save money, otherwise you would have taken it to a shop and said, "Fix it."
Anyway, Are you sure the tranny is jumping out of OD, and it's not just the torque converter locking and unlocking? These two things are often confused. One way to check this is to lock out OD and run the truck at the same speed as when the problem occurs to see if you notice any difference. These trucks do have issues with the TC unlocking unexpectedly. You'll be able to find numerous threads about it here. My 99 had to have a PCM flash done to fix the lock-up problem, that, by the way, just appeared out of nowhere one day.
As for vacuum, you need to survey your vacuum lines to see if one is broken someplace, or burnt through. My 96 had the vacuum line that goes inside to the HVAC drop onto the exhaust manifold and melt through, then I lost vacuum everywhere. Once I traced the problem it took about 5 minutes to fix and reroute the vacuum line so it couldn't drop on the manifold, and I didn't need a vacuum pump.
On the PS, you need to trace your way through the system, from the pump to the steering box to the hydro-boost, to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from, before you proceed. This may require pressure washing it and even tracing the lines with your hand (if it is really spraying out it should be obvious, but wear a glove if you are going to confront the spray with your hand).

Chris
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM

I just checked online, and Advance Auto and Autozone seem to have the hydro-boost for 187.99, with lifetime warranty. Are you saying you checked there and neither have the right part?

Chris
Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

Make sure you don't run low on ps fluid while tracking down your leak. Otherwise, you'll be learning about a pump install and vac pump re-seal. Autozone has hydroboost as does OReilleys, Advance and NAPA. They may need to order it.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM

1999blackcloud, you try any of the things we suggested, or replace anything yet?

Chris