24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Governor?

Old 10-23-2002, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Governor?

I used to manage a moving company and about once a year the company would have me get in each truck, start it up, floor it, hold it there, and notate the rpms. The reason was to make sure the drivers weren't getting the trucks turned up. I never had one explode but I was hesitant the first time I did it.. I think 2800 rpms was where most of the trucks were governed to..
Old 10-23-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Governor?

Running it up against the govenor will not hurt the engine any. That is the purpose of the govenor. It is there to keep the engine entact. <br>I have driven many diesels and I push them all to the govenor. Driving a bull rack (or any heavy truck for that matter) you quickly learn what &quot;California Overdrive&quot; is. &quot;California Overdrive&quot; is running it up against the govenor on a downhill slope (NOT THE MOUNTAINS!!) and then kicking it out of gear to get a little more speed out of it. (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about Haulin!) Most heavy trucks are designed to run right at the redline at the speed limit for the roads they will be running. They run right at the redline all day long. Most large diesels have a redline of around 2100 or 2300 RPM. At least the cats and detroits I drove were.<br><br>The same day I bought my brand new cummins I took it out and drove it to get it good and warmed up and then stopped and checked the govenor. Sitting still in park I put it to the floor to see how high the govenor was set, I sat there with it running against the govenor for probably 30 seconds. It had 90 miles on it. It doesnt hurt them any at all. Actually it is good on them as it cleans the BS off of the upper and lower part of the cylinder walls.<br><br>Keith<br>