24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Pressure and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure and Warranty

Hello all, I have been lurking for awhile trying to soak up all the info I can, but now I have question, I have had the truck for about 3 weeks, I installed the banjo's, new fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge this weekend. I have about 12 psi at idle, about 10 psi cruising but from a dead stop at wot I can pull it down to about 2 psi. I purchased an extended warranty through the dodge dealership. My question is how do I get the dealership to replace the LP? I mean will they only go by the reading at idle? Will they go by my gauge reading? What is the best way to handle this?
Thanks in advance..
Old 03-30-2004, 12:18 AM

After installing my fuel pressure gauge and high flow banjos I had 10psi at idle and down to 2psi at WOT. Took it to dealer and they said "flow" was within specs. Dont know what else to do.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:37 AM

That's exactly what I am afraid of..
Old 03-30-2004, 08:09 AM

I can't really state what the best solution to this problem. I know from experience that the old line,"the squeeky wheel gets the grease" is sometimes the best avenue to take. I would take it to the dealer of my choice, sit down with one of the service writers and document your concerns. If you can do this in a positive manner without any heated discussion.....they should at least look at your presssure's and document your concerns.....that way, WHEN it fails, you can always go back and state...."I was concerned about this matter back in March of 04....when you're really thinking...I told you so.

Luck to ya
Old 03-30-2004, 08:18 AM

Every dealer is different. I took mine in for the same problem and they looked at my FP gauge and said, "Yep, it's bad!" They replaced it without doing the flow test. They didn't even hook up their gauge to it. I heard that they were "loosening up" on the lift pump allocations. My local dealer now stocks them on the shelf.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:40 AM

hey, rich. let me know what happens with kerry dodge when you call them! hope they fix it with no problems.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:13 PM

First off(knock on wood)I have an excellent warranty dept. in my favorite Dodge dealership. I was very impressed with, and later became good acqaintences(sp), the service manager at the time. If you are lucky enough to KNOW anyone at the dealership, this will help. It shouldnt necessarily, but it does. I also do the pre-brokedown consultation with some of the warranty/service folks here. It will help a lot to get that wrote down/duly noted in advance. If none of this is available, I would just quiz them on it before I took it in, to see what they're potential reaction might be to a borderline issue. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was also 3 psi at WOT when it was replaced under warranty last year this time. The first time I took it in and complained about it they checked it every way but WOT. Did not known that at the time. It got worse and I took it back again and asked about the WOT test. The service manager agreed to do it and they replaced the pump.

That was at Sunshine Dodge in Melbourne, Fl.

Dave
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 PM

Thank's for all the insight guy's. I will post up the results,
Ashley, If you ever get tired of the FASS be sure and let me know first
Old 03-30-2004, 10:40 PM

Mine is at the dealer as we speak . They are replacing the VP after hounding them . and a approval from Cummins .First dealer replaced the LP and wouldnt replace the VP . Until i told them i had issues with the police stopping me from smoke. BAd smoke white. So this time they are replacing the VP and not the LP which only makes 4psi at WOT . SO when she comes home im throwing a Carter under there for now. After a couple of trips to the dealer im spent with trying to explain myself.
Heres an idea take a cake to the service department with you they were all eating cookies when i showed up?
Better yet some cookies with the words SNAP-ON on them
that should do the trick...