24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure

I just purchased a bone stock (as far as the seller informed me) 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 automatic truck.

I drove the truck home some 400 miles and got 20 MPG while cruising at 70 MPH. The truck drove great but needed some work.

While diagnosing the lack of 4x4, I removing the shift vacuum motor to check to see if it was shifting (truck on jack stands, etc. per factory service manual). When I started the truck the idle was cycling up and down till the the truck just quit. It would not start.

I went ahead and replaced the shift motor with a new one and replaced the unit. When I tried to start the truck it still would not start. I held the accelerator pedal wide open and then it finally started. I checked the 4x4 and it works now.

I continued to drive it with mostly no problems. One other time the idle did the same thing as before but I caught it by feathering the accelerator pedal.

A buddy said I should check the fuel pressure. I bought and installed an electric ISSPRO EV2 Fuel Pressure Guage. It indicated just above zero PSI.

I called Vulcan and they indicated that I try a mechanical guage. I installed it; it indicated zero PSI.

The same buddy informed me that the direct replacement FASS lift pump is the way to go.

My issue is that I am confused by the comments about converted in-tank fuel lift pumps. Referencing the 2001 Dodge Factory Service manual, all visual indications are that I have a stock lift pump.

How can I really tell if my truck was converted? Do I have to drop the tank to tell? If I replace the stock pump with a FASS pump, how easy is it to replace? Looks like I would have to lay over the enging to reach down and get to the pump.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
follow the fuel lines..from the tank to the engine..
the stock pump is mounted on the lower left side..yes below the filter housing.

left side..meaning the drivers side in the US..

if you have a pump there its stock..the fass DRP is a good choice so would an AirDog setup..not check..but check the price of a VP44..

do you have any codes? check them..don't guess

I wish I had checked the codes on the used truck I bought..it has p0216 code..
after a Vp44 and 30k miles ago all its still good..

-dkenny
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 PM

Fuel Pressure

Kenny,

Thank you for the reply.

The stock pump as shown in the service manual exists.

From what I have been reading on the 'net, it appears that Chrysler stopped making and replacing the stock pumps because of high failure rates in favor of an in-tank pump P/N 68003865AB.

The truck has 431,000 miles on it. I do not have any service history on the truck... yet.

Questions:

Could the stock pump have been left in place and an in-tank pump installed?

Was there a factory issued fix to dealers for the lift pump operation? If so, did Chrysler pay for the repair (probably not)?

I have not checked the codes yet. How do you do that?

What is everyone's recommendation:

1. FASS direct replacement DDRP 02

2. MOPAR / Cummins intank in tank pump

3. Other?

Thank you,

Chuck
Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
To check for codes turn the key from lock to on three times and watch the odometer window, it'll read "---pcm done" and "----ecm done" when complete.

Write down any numbers it shows and look at the code listing under DTR Wiki at the top of the page.

The best route is a fass or airdog or other aftermarket pump installed on the frame rail as close to the fuel tank as possible and removing the banjo bolts the factory set up used in favor of 3/8"-1/2" fittings that run straight thru. There are many relocation kits that make this easier than it sounds.

Your "new " truck didn't make it too 400,000+ miles with a bad lift pump.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
To check for codes turn the key from lock to on three times and watch the odometer window, it'll read "---pcm done" and "----ecm done" when complete.
Mine is a very early '01 and only does P-done. Just FYI for the OP in case his shows like mine.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 AM

the in tank pump was mostly put in under factory extended warranty's and owners not knowing any better.

allot of them were installed that still had a factory warrenty or extended warrenty so "they" could stop buying VP's for the trucks. it was kinda what i call a band aid. it was slightly better than the lift pump, but less GPH

if you have the lift pump on the side of the engine it is most likely does not have the in-tank pump.

both FASS and Air Dog are good, Air Dog filters cost less.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Good advice so far. Yes, if there is a lift pump mounted on the block then there is NOT one in the fuel tank. Just replace what you have with either a FASS, Airdog, Raptor, or Fuel Boss and you're fuel pressure issues will be over. But.....that does not mean you wont have any VP issues from running such low fuel pressure. In saying that, as SIXSLUG pointed out, Your "new " truck didn't make it too 400,000+ miles with a bad lift pump. So you probably already have a remanufactured VP. Your VP may last just fine and I wouldn't do anything else with it unless it does fail. Pull those codes to see if there's anything else you need to be concerned with.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by cudacaver1
I just purchased a bone stock (as far as the seller informed me) 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 automatic truck.

I drove the truck home some 400 miles and got 20 MPG while cruising at 70 MPH. The truck drove great but needed some work.

While diagnosing the lack of 4x4, I removing the shift vacuum motor to check to see if it was shifting (truck on jack stands, etc. per factory service manual). When I started the truck the idle was cycling up and down till the the truck just quit. It would not start.

I went ahead and replaced the shift motor with a new one and replaced the unit. When I tried to start the truck it still would not start. I held the accelerator pedal wide open and then it finally started. I checked the 4x4 and it works now.

I continued to drive it with mostly no problems. One other time the idle did the same thing as before but I caught it by feathering the accelerator pedal.

A buddy said I should check the fuel pressure. I bought and installed an electric ISSPRO EV2 Fuel Pressure Guage. It indicated just above zero PSI.

I called Vulcan and they indicated that I try a mechanical guage. I installed it; it indicated zero PSI.

The same buddy informed me that the direct replacement FASS lift pump is the way to go.

My issue is that I am confused by the comments about converted in-tank fuel lift pumps. Referencing the 2001 Dodge Factory Service manual, all visual indications are that I have a stock lift pump.

How can I really tell if my truck was converted? Do I have to drop the tank to tell? If I replace the stock pump with a FASS pump, how easy is it to replace? Looks like I would have to lay over the enging to reach down and get to the pump.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Regards,

Chuck
Its kind of ironic that i am going through almost exactly the same issue with the truck i just bought and have been suggested the fass system with remote filter or the airdogg the difference is that there is currently 4 (messed up) set ups at once on my truck. An lp, tank pump, im guessing a burnt up airdogg and a cheap in line pump/filter. where do i startover