24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Drain Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Drain Valve Replacement

Today I replaced my leaking drain valve. It was leaking badly around the lever when pressure was on. It would not leak when the engine was off. I bought the kit from the Dodge Dealer for $29.05. The "kit" included the valve, 2-O rings, 4 screws and a large O-ring (presumably for the filter housing). I stopped at autozone to get the 18" of drain hose I wanted. Here's the steps I used.

1. Drain filter housing. I used a glass jar to catch the fuel.
2. Remove the valve. Four screws. They are torx T-15. I was expecting phillips. Good thing I had a set laying around. A 1/4" socket wrench was the most convenient way to work with the torx bit.
3. Remove and replace the two o'rings
4. Install the new valve.
5. Open fuel canister, pull out fuel filter, fill canister with fuel, and reinsert filter.
6. Turn on ignition key to let lift pump run. I did this 3 times to get a good fuel pressure charge before starting.
7. Start! (I crossed my fingers) and check for leaks. Whew--glad that is done.

I could not tell what caused the failure. The valve has two o-rings on the inside. Possibly, I could have simply bought and replaced the o-rings, and that would have stopped the leak.

[Notice how the canister has 2 drain holes into the valve? Not sure why that is. I expected only one]
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Drain Valve Replacement-drnvalve1.jpg   Fuel Drain Valve Replacement-dranvalve2.jpg   Fuel Drain Valve Replacement-drnvalve3.jpg   Fuel Drain Valve Replacement-drnvalve4.jpg   Fuel Drain Valve Replacement-drnvalve5.jpg  

Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Good write-up

I replaced mine last summer, when I noticed the valve leaking. If you take the threaded collar off the valve, it comes apart, and the o-ring in there was leaking.

Pulled out my handy komatsu o-ring kit, and golly gee, there were the parts I needed. 1/2 hour and I was on my way.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for this drain valve? Thanks.