24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

engine skip or miss

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine skip or miss

was driving home last night on the highway when it also seemed like the engine "skipped" or "missed" ive noticed this once before as well. the first time was at idle and this time was at about 2000 rpm's. im completely lost on what this may be and dont really know how else to describe it. any help would be appreciated as i dont want to hurt the engine. thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:engine skip or miss

Mine skipped when I was losing a lift pump. That's were I would look first-Fuel related. Check lp pressure.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:11 PM

i was thinkn along those lines too but wanted to see what others said first. annoyin part is i just had one replaced in late march. guess i really need to get movin on gettin a fuel pressure gauge :
Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Briar Hoppers guage, not very much and very simple. I believe I got mine at blackmountaindiesel.com, I really can't remember tho. It will come in handy until you get a perm. gauge.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:21 PM

Some of the Y2K trucks had that problem, including mine. There is a TSB out for the fix, took care of mine. The TSB # is 18-24-99. Might check it out and see if it what you have.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:43 PM

mine skips and misses and the only thing I havent replaced or removed was the APPS and VP 44<br><br>
Old 05-29-2003, 09:51 PM

My 02 did the same thing off and on at the same cruising rpm range and I just had it towed to the dealer. I won't know anything for a couple of days because it seems that the 5 star &quot;battery of tests&quot; is a severly drawn out process.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:57 PM

I don't know how many miles you have on the truck, and if you were under load or accelerating to/or past 2000 RPM when your truck, as I call it &quot;stumbled&quot;. If you have a fuel pressure gauge installed, and everything seemed fine as far as pressure your fuel pumps are probably &quot;ok&quot;...A lot of these problems, truck &quot;farts&quot; can be attributed to dirty IAT sensors, or bad Map sensors! If the problem gets worst, and your fuel pressures are &quot;ok&quot;, I would try cleaning the IAT sensor.. If that doesn't work, it maybe your Map sensor. Both sensors, control fueling &amp; timming based on temp. and boost... If one or more is faulty, it could be sending bad signals to the ECM, causing to rich or lean fueling signals. I have had this happen many times on my truck, and the IAT sensor was the problem. That's why I re-located mine to the intake air box. It seems these &quot;farts&quot; occur more when the outside air Temp increases during summer months????<br><br>Steve
Old 05-30-2003, 09:25 PM

I had that problem when the truck was new, sometimes it would stumble sitting at a light, sometimes it would stall. A couple of times, it just plain stopped running with cruise control on on the freeway. Pulled over, turned the key off, and restarted, and it was fine for thousands of miles. I have since installed a fuel pressure gauge and an Edge EZ, and have not had the problem since, but my fuel pressure is erratic, and sometimes won't start the first time when hot. I believe these are lift pump issues, and I have a PE4100 with a prototype driver circuit so it can be driven by the Cummins ECM. I have yet to install it, though.