24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Edge comp issues

Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Edge comp issues

I installed an edge comp on my truck a 99 24v 5 speed , about a month ago with wire, tap which is not a wire tap that I sautered on the edge wire and clamped to the pump wire, is correct. A guy we know owns a performance shop and he walked me through it. Wastegate is welded shut, air dog lift pump, and a new vP44 about 2 years ago. The truck has a noticeable performance difference but it won’t smoke on 5x5 not that I want it to smoke but I’m not sure it even works right being it makes zero smoke and a good 32 psi of boost. Fuel pressure is great does drop slightly on 5x5 but no smoke or burnouts are achieved as they should be super easy with 215 75 tires and 410 gears. As I say not that I want it to do that but I would like it to since than I’d be able to make sure it works and when I need that power I’d be able to have it.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Is this the truck where you complained about it being powerless before?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
sautered ????????????????
Old 05-31-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
May have meant sautéed......Ben
Old 05-31-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Is this the truck where you complained about it being powerless before?
Yes the wastegate was frozen half open, and it had a few codes which we had our buddy fix. It solved it plus he sold us an edge comp for better mileage and power for hauling wagons and such.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
Well its got a little better system on than a wire tap sautered onto the end of the edge end. You guys would be ****** if I told u what I did and tell me how wire taps are the best but I broke 3 in the process and the auto parts store was closed at 11 so I improvised and it makes hella connection. But I could have been clearer on my explanation.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:07 PM

I sautered the edge wire into this for easier installation and hopes for better connection and stripped the vp with my pocket knife tightened this thing up good and liquid taped it then wrapped it in foam rubber with tape on top she’s not loosing connection. Farmers are very creative guys.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:57 PM

Sort of feeling like everyone thinks I’m a dumbass and won’t help me on here now. The only thing I can think is the cheap vp we put on it as it the cheapest one thourough bred diesel had at the time. Mexican junk rebuild is my whole conspiracy. My 1st gen with just pump tuuned in and an hx35 will destroy this thing and the 99 has an air dog, smaller tires, and a welded shut wastegate plus the tuner. The 24v with a higher stock rating than the 91 to begin with. The first gen will burn tires so will my 97 auto but the 24v is a pud in a burnout contest it’ll barely break loose but nothing else, no longer powerless but when you compare them having a little fun on an old road at 10pm the 24v looses always. As I said before I don’t want or need it to do burnouts ore roll a lot of coal but it just bothers the heck outta me that it won’t like theyres still something wrong with it, as electronics are not my cup of tea but mechanicals, haha, mechanicals I am a master wanna see an ih 1066 with a p pumped dt360 pull a wagon at 40 mph smoking like a freight train I’m your guy but electronics are not my thing. Ps the tractor I swapped myself got a 3800 rpm goveroner and everything possible turned up on it it blows a rubber boot on the turbo about once a day. Pegs a 35psi gague.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:52 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
OK, since you have had your buddy fix the codes- did some new codes come up after installing the Edge stuff?

I believe your connection to the pump wire should be good, but how does the wiring between the pump and the Edge look?
I had some Edge products fail causing low power output (lower than stock).
Do you have gauges?
Old 06-02-2019, 03:12 PM

Not that I know of he lives about 1.5hr away and when he plugged his smarty,?, I believe into it and put his own program on it it did crazy things, then he tested for codes and got nothing and gave me the edge to install myself which he walked me through over the phone. I do have gagues boost, fuel pressure and egt. I’m honestly lost did the whole unplug the battery’s and push the petal thing and had wicked response from it. I got some smoke yesterday pulling a huge grade in 5x5 with a load of hay but I mean nothing like I have read/ saw guys get especially like our friend got with his own program; he’s into pulling.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I think you entered the danger zone fiddling with the vp electrics, but had the guts to get in there so I applaud you. Even if you did spell soldered wrong! I knew what you meant.

Something I have noticed is the race/dyno/sled pull guys tend to really go nuts for powering up an already proven engine for day to day operations. I agree with the programmers and larger feeds regarding fuel delivery and such and easier breathing exhausts to better our machines, but I bought mine to serve me for a long time, not to try and break.

My guys ***** about our "gutless" 7.3 powerstrokes but I tell them they will pull heavy all day and night and not miss a beat, race trucks they ain't, but reliable they is.... and both are approaching 300K miles

32 lbs of boost seems a little high. What are your EGT's at that end?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM

32 is what I get pulling HARD on it egt’s I have no clue I’ve never gotten around to drilling the hole but with that much strain on it I have gotten the water temp pretty high. As for that the pulling guy he wanted the thing to be burning tires rolling coal and doing 0-100 in 5 seconds but all I wanted was better economy for hauling and more power for hills. I have achieved this but just not sure if I have it’s full potential, when I fix something I wanna do it right and from what I’ve read I ought to be smoking everyone out in a 10 mile radius on 5x5 and I get a puff after the reset. Now I don’t like being that ******** rolling coal in people but from what I have read I should be and it’s not which raises my question of is there something underlying other than my junk vP44 theory? The only Day i was wanting to ever smoke was the day I got passed and smoked out by a 6.0, and when that idiot was behind me at a light I couldn’t get anything but a puff.