24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

changed fuel filter and drained bowl now truck won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changed fuel filter and drained bowl now truck won't start!

I just changed it and dranined the bowl as well. But the truck won't start. I can hear the lift pump or a fuel sending noise. Like the bowl seems to have noise coming from it. I filled the bowl back up with diesel and still the truck won't start. I don't have any idea why I drained the bowl becuase I knew I would have this problem like everybody else. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas where to start? Aaron
Old 04-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
emptying out the bowl and cleaning it is the correct procedure. What I usually do after the filter is installed is to "bump" the starter so the lift pump will run it's 20 sec cycle. While it's running I'll push in the schrader valve (test port) up at the VP44. This will purge the air from the system, but often you'll have to repeat the key bump to get another 20 sec to get a good fuel flow. At the point you are at, do the above. Once you have good fuel flow loosen a couple of injector connectors at the head and crank till you get fuel their. Hopefully your lift pump is in good condition, because if it isn't you may not get your truck started.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:15 PM

I Also had the same problem as you when I did my first filter change and what I did was when you bump the starter, run back to the filter and start fliping the drain lever on and off rapidly. You will see the fuel come spiting out with air (provided your lift pump is good) for a number of starter bumps. Once I had air less fuel coming out, the bear finaly chuged back to life! I thought for sure I was going to have to crack a injector line, luckily it fired up.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
scary isnt it. youll get used to it. bump bump bump the starter
Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and if you bump the starter and NO fuel or air comes out of the hose or schrader, you need a lift pump. it's not uncommon to get the noise from the electric pump running without getting any fuel pressure.
In a pinch, I've also heard of someone using a bit of air pressure in the fuel filler hole to send some fuel to the filter, but if you have no lift pump pressure, you're causing damage to your vp44.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:59 AM

This is excatly when I found out the LP was bad. Good luck, if your lift pump is good it sometimes takes time to remove the air
Old 04-21-2005, 10:15 AM

Sorry for not replying sooner I have been terribly busy. I used the first guys reply and bled the schrader valve and loosened the 1st and 3rd injectors. Cranked for about 10 seconds and POW!!! My dad was like WHOA!! I said I think we have fuel now. So I hooked the injectors back up and cranked for maybe 5 seconds and ran rough for another 10 seconds and bam it was fixed. So I need to say God Bless to everyone who helped and gave advice. As soon as I finished I drove about 50 miles as 80-100 MPH. I don't think there is much air left now! Anyways like I said before I had the same problem last time I drained it about a year ago. I change the fuel filter every 5k miles and I have put 40k miles on my truck in 1 1/2 years so I have changed it alot and havent had the problem, only when I drain. Anyways know that everything is smooth she is going up for sale probably in a couple of weeks. 175k miles at this time, 4x4, auto, white, see pics if interested. Thanks Aaron
Old 04-21-2005, 10:16 AM

Do you have gauges??? You should... especially with 162,000+ on the truck. Wouldn't run without one.

If it DOES start, get a gauge RIGHT AWAY... do not wait... a VP44 can pull fuel for a short time even if a lift pump goes south. But you're going to kill the VP44 in short order asking it to do this.

Steve
Old 04-21-2005, 09:04 PM

Everything is good, it just had alot of air I promise. I can hear the lift pump and grid heater every time. All is well. Lucas Fuel additive has created such a smooth running truck it is ridiculous. And as a matter of fact the truck is quiter than most cummins engines with the Lucas. Anyway the fuel system is great now. Thanks for the concern and replys. Aaron