HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

changed fuel filter and drained bowl no start!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changed fuel filter and drained bowl no start!!

I just changed the fuel filter yesterday and it would not start. So I thought the truck built up a lot of air and was just stumbling. I tried to fill the bowl manually by turning the key over about 5 times but didn't help. So I have filled the bowl up with diesel and the truck still won't start. I have owned the truck for 1 1/2 years and never got the light just drained it. Last time I drained the bowl it did the same thing about a year ago. So, is there anyone out there that can give me some clues to gettin it started???? I can hear the lift pump every time so I am sure the lift pump is fine. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE THE TRUCK IS GETTING NO FUEL!Thanks for any help. Aaron
Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 PM
RCW

Crack open the banjo bolt that that connects the fuel supply line to the injection pump. That is the rearward banjo on the side of the VP44. Do not remove it, just crack it enough that it will leak fuel.

Then cycle your key to start, just bump it, do not start, and let the lift pump run. It should run about 25 seconds, and you may have to bump it a few times to get all the air out, and just have fuel leaking out of the banjo.

Once you have fuel at the banjo, tighten the banjo bolt, and try to start the truck. It should start and miss and run poorly for a few minutes. Do not worry, just let it clear itself if it will start.

If it still will not start, repeat the priming step above. Then tighten the banjo bolt again, and then crank the engine for 30 seconds to let any air trapped in the injection pump evacuate out the overflow line.

If the engine still does not start, then it will be necessary to crack the pressure fittings on #3, 4 and 5 at the crossover tubes where they enter the valve cover assembly. Crank the engine over until it starts and let it run until the fittings quit blowing air. Then shut it down and tighten the fittings on the pressure lines, and start it and let it run about 5 minutes.

If that does not work, then put a fuel pressure gauge on the inlet test port (the top port on the rear of the filter. This takes a special fitting. You want no less than 5 psi of fuel pressure with the engine cranking, and no less than 10 psi with the engine idling. If you are not at those minimums, it is likely that the bypass valve in the lift pump is suck and that requires replacement of the lift pump.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: changed fuel filter and drained bowl no start!!

Originally posted by fitzydog
I can hear the lift pump every time so I am sure the lift pump is fine. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE THE TRUCK IS GETTING NO FUEL!Thanks for any help. Aaron
Just because you can hear it running doesn't mean it is pumping anything.

If you can't fill the bowl by bumping the starter, then your lift pump is indeed dead.

phox
Old 04-23-2005, 07:42 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner I have been terribly busy. I used the first guys reply and bled the schrader valve and loosened the 1st and 3rd injectors. Cranked for about 10 seconds and POW!!! My dad was like WHOA!! I said I think we have fuel now. So I hooked the injectors back up and cranked for maybe 5 seconds and ran rough for another 10 seconds and bam it was fixed. So I need to say God Bless to everyone who helped and gave advice. As soon as I finished I drove about 50 miles as 80-100 MPH. I don't think there is much air left now! Anyways like I said before I had the same problem last time I drained it about a year ago.