24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Changed fuel filter.......and?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed fuel filter.......and?

So I just changed my fuel filter, I drained the bowl, spun cap off, removed old filter, snapped a new fleetguard filter onto the cap, installed new O ring, reinstalled, and re-closed the drain valve. Anyway, truck fired right off when I was done, but then died after about 3-5 seconds. Now it wont re-start? Did I run it out of fuel and air lock it? I know this is a total neubie question, and I feel like a total amateur asking, but some help would be nice.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 PM

Try clicking the engine over with the key. Don't let it fully start. Do this a couple times and you should be good.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its like my 2000, you should have a bleed valve right at the pump inlet. It look like a large schader valve or an A/C service port. Just bump the starter, listen for the lift pump running, and run over and push the stem to purge fuel from the pump inlet feed line. Watch for the slug of air. Drain a lot. Like 1/2 of coffee can to be sure. Make sure that lift pump is running when the bleed port is open (which should run some 20 seconds), or bump the starter again.

One could actually make or buy a tool for bleeding the fuel system. I made one.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by nmen
If its like my 2000, you should have a bleed valve right at the pump inlet. It look like a large schader valve or an A/C service port. Just bump the starter, listen for the lift pump running, and run over and push the stem to purge fuel from the pump inlet feed line. Watch for the slug of air. Drain a lot. Like 1/2 of coffee can to be sure. Make sure that lift pump is running when the bleed port is open (which should run some 20 seconds), or bump the starter again.

One could actually make or buy a tool for bleeding the fuel system. I made one.
Yeah, I think I noticed that valve while I was under there. Its on the banjo bolt, right on the VP pump right? So you just push the needle with your finger tip them? Is the fuel that comes out pretty low pressure? I cranked the truck about five times, about 5-10 seconds at a time. Didt try a ton, I didnt want to make matters worse incase I did something wrong.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 PM

By not filling the filter housing you ran it out of fuel. You can crack open the filter housing and bump the starter to run the lift pump. This will fill the fuel filter can. Then you can tighten the can and bump it a couple more times. Then, crank fo about 30 seconds at a time until it starts. The schrader valve would work too, but I would use a screwdriver and save my finger. Next time fill the cannister first, and it will fire up and run easily.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes thats the one at the pump. I might even have a black cap on it. It is low pressure, and it should flow well. You might get away by pushing it in with your finger nail to get it far enough in.

But take a look at it and figure a tool of some kind becuase according to the State of California, Diesel fuel has been known to cause cancer in mice.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by nmen
Yes thats the one at the pump. I might even have a black cap on it. It is low pressure, and it should flow well. You might get away by pushing it in with your finger nail to get it far enough in.

But take a look at it and figure a tool of some kind becuase according to the State of California, Diesel fuel has been known to cause cancer in mice.
, So I suppose the used motor oil that was running down my arm earlier will cause cancer as well!

I will go at it in the morning then with a screwdriver, and see if she'll take off. I even thought about filling the housing before re-installing the filter, but I thought the LP would fill it anyway, so I didnt. Reason being, I never had to do this on my Powerstroke, just drain, drop in new filter, and fire it off, worked every time. My first service since owning the cummins has deffinately been a learning experience! This is a whole new animal compare to my old stroke!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Highrlr
, So I suppose the used motor oil that was running down my arm earlier will cause cancer as well!

I will go at it in the morning then with a screwdriver, and see if she'll take off. I even thought about filling the housing before re-installing the filter, but I thought the LP would fill it anyway, so I didnt. Reason being, I never had to do this on my Powerstroke, just drain, drop in new filter, and fire it off, worked every time. My first service since owning the cummins has deffinately been a learning experience! This is a whole new animal compare to my old stroke!
that was one good thing about the powerstroke.... run it out of fuel and it would always start
Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually, to save yourself a little cranking time, you can loosen the nuts on the #1 and #3 injectors. After you've bumped the engine over to let the lift pump fill the filter housing, you can start cranking. When you get diesel dripping at those nuts, you can tighten them back up. This will help get the air out of the pump a little faster.

Once it catches, it will run rough for a second till all lines have fuel, then you'll be good to go.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Just crank it a second stop crank it stop crank it stop and keep doing it, you'll start to hear it trying to start which means your close so just keep going till it starts up and bingo, ya got your truck back.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 AM

I agree you got air in the lines. No big deal just bleed them out. And welcome to DTR felk762
Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Actually, to save yourself a little cranking time, you can loosen the nuts on the #1 and #3 injectors. After you've bumped the engine over to let the lift pump fill the filter housing, you can start cranking. When you get diesel dripping at those nuts, you can tighten them back up. This will help get the air out of the pump a little faster.

Once it catches, it will run rough for a second till all lines have fuel, then you'll be good to go.
I think this is the best/quickest method. Takes me about 2 or 3 mins to start my truck even after an injector change and this is without all the bumping and cranking. Just bump it once or twice and crack 2 or 3 lines.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 PM

also look at this post: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=197945
Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 PM

By filling the cannister and bumping the starter a couple of times you will keep air out of the lines and pump. The truck will start right up with no trouble, and it is less mess and hassle than cracking the lines.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks for all the reply's everyone! I got it started this morning pretty easily.I just bumped it a couple times till I heard the LP going, then I jumped out and pushed in the shrader valve, fuel started coming out very quickly so I went and cranked some more, and it fired within about 10 seconds of cranking. I did have to throttle it a bit though to get it too fire.