24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Filter Change Story

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel Filter Change Story

I changed my fuel filter in the truck today. This was my first time to change it as I've only owned it for about 5,000 miles and the guy before me had never changed it (65K mile when I bought it).

It was a pretty easy job; lift the hood, flip the drain switch, funnel & coffee can in place underneath and it all drained accurately with no mess. Flipped the switch back closed after few mins. Removed the canister lid, Lifted out the old filter. There was about an inch of fuel remaining inside and the bottom was slightly grundgy, so I sopped up the fuel and wiped it clean.

From reading this online blog, I knew that I needed to partially re-fill
the canister before putting the new filter in. So I filled it about
1/2way and the put the filter/cap back on.

ALSO from reading here, I knew that I was supposed to turn
the key on/off several times; to prime the pump I guess. I had read that
sometimes it won't start and then it gets sorta complicated....I don't do complicated...

So, I flip the key 1/2 dozen times or so. I'd hear faint noises in the
engine area so I figured that must be the priming action. When I
thought I had done that enough, I held my breath and then turned it
on--it worked!!! ...and then after about 5 seconds it died... DARN!

It would turn over well enough, but it wouldn't start...darn darn
darn...

So, I sat really still and waited for my life to stop flashing before
my eyes... Then I thought, maybe I didn't fill up the canister
enough. I got out and got the socket wrench again. But as I was
twisting off the cansiter cap, I rested my left elbow on somepart of the
engine that was super super HOT (square "manifold-like" thing which the dipstick is resting on). I dunno what that is, but it gets really hot just from turning the engine over... dARN!

I got the cap off and added more fuel. Put the cap back on and then did the "key on key off" thing a few more times. Held my breath, turned the key, it started, then died again...darn darn darn...

I thought maybe I didn't turn the key on/off enough times. So for the
next 5 mins I just sat there and turned it on/off/on/off/on/off... I did this until I was going crazy hearing the "bing-bong" bell/buzzer each time the key is turned on. Then I tried it again....when I turned the key on to start it, it continued to turn over, so I sorta tapped the accelerator just a little---IT STARTED!! I was so happy that I rev'd it about 2000 rpm for a few mins.... I know that's not good for it, but boy was I glad to hear her roar again. Whew!!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your supposed to ''tap the engine over''. Not just turn the key on-off.
Just a short crank of the engine starts the lift pump up and runs it for a while.
Glad to see you got it all going anyhow.
FYI: I just open the valve on the canister and tap the motor over. Then run back under the hood and shut the valve off when fuel starts pouring out.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 AM

So, I flip the key 1/2 dozen times or so. I'd hear faint noises in the
engine area so I figured that must be the priming action.
As mentioned before, you have to "bump" the starter for a second to get the lift pump to prime the system.
If you were just turning the key on and off and you were hearing "faint noises in the engine area", it was probably just the grid heaters cycling that you heard.
I rested my left elbow on somepart of the
engine that was super super HOT (square "manifold-like" thing which the dipstick is resting on). I dunno what that is, but it gets really hot just from turning the engine over... dARN!
The grid heater sits at the bottom of the "square manifold-like thing that the dipstick is resting on". The grid heater heats the air going into the intake to help the truck start easier in cold weather. If you did this several times it probably heated up the intake horn enough to make it "super hot", and that's what burnt ur elbow.
That's kinda what it sounds like was happening anyway.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

next time, leave the filter cap loose when you bump the key to the run position until fuel leaks out from under the cap, if it does not leak out at first turn to run position, turn key off, wait a few seconds, turn key back to run, repeat till ya get fuel . then shut key off, tighten fuel filter cap, and start that bad boy up with out a problem.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 AM

sounds like you need a new lift pump.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 AM

The last time I changed the fuel filter the shop had to crack the lines to bleed the air and when that was not working they removed the gas cap and put pressure in the tank which did the trick.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Duh--thanks for the insight/clarification guys. Will bookmark this so that I know exactly what to do next time.
Ref the "need new lift pump" comment by "dj_souvlaki" What makes you suspect that? -d
Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM

I don't fill the filter housing, just let the LP do it before I start it. I know that puts too much air in the system but I always crack #1 as part of the operation.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Sometimes they are a pain in the butt. My 98.5 doesn't have much trouble, but I have done others that took a bit to get going again.

Do a VP44 or injector change and you may as well put the battery charger on the battteries before you start cranking.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Ref the "need new lift pump" comment by "dj_souvlaki" What makes you suspect that? -d
I'm just guessin it's because he didn't fully read or understand the problem/situation at hand.

So I'm assuming that was the problem?? you were just turning the switch on and off and not actually bumpin the starter to make the fuel pump run??
Either way, I hope you got it figured out so you will have a better experience the next time you do this. Even when you follow all procedures to the letter, it can still be a PITA somtimes. The first time I changed mine, I had to bump the starter about 7-8 times before it started, the second time, if fired right up without even priming it by bumpin the starter.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by hink
I'm just guessin it's because he didn't fully read or understand the problem/situation at hand.

So I'm assuming that was the problem?? you were just turning the switch on and off and not actually bumpin the starter to make the fuel pump run??
Either way, I hope you got it figured out so you will have a better experience the next time you do this. Even when you follow all procedures to the letter, it can still be a PITA somtimes. The first time I changed mine, I had to bump the starter about 7-8 times before it started, the second time, if fired right up without even priming it by bumpin the starter.
Yes...needed to "bump" the starter...at least I hope that's what it was... Feel kinda like a dufus now And, if I didn't understand what "bump" was in the first place, then there's absolutely no way I'd want to tackle the tactic of "cracking #1" (duh, with a hammer?!) Now, I do, however, think I could handle the "drain switch open" tactic someone suggested; might try that method next time.

By the way, how often should I changed the fuel filter anyway?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Learn by your mistatkes, right?? Now you know how to do it.
By the way, how often should I changed the fuel filter anyway?
I don't remember what the recommended drain interval is. It should say in the owners manual. I don't change mine as often as I should, so I can't tell ya for sure.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM

My '01 service manual says fuel filter changes every 15,000 miles.

I just did my own fuel filter three days ago (for the first time ever). I pre-filled the canister and bumped the starter until the FASS kicked in. First time I tried to start it it fired right up, no burps, nothing. Idle was very strong and it didn't run rough at all. I don't think you need to air bleed lines, just fill the canister and bump the ignition and you should be ok.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Same story when I change mine...don't fill the canister, put it back together, bump it a few times...it will start then die.... bump a few more times...then crank for ~10 secs at a time, pumping the pedal a little and it'll fire up after about 3 tries.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM

If you just turn key on lift pump only runs for about 5 sec, when you bump the starter for a second the lift pump runs for 25 sec. May take a couple of bumps but it will start.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Change Story