24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Question

I’m looking for a brake upgrade for my truck (02’ 4X4 SBQC) currently and don’t know which direction to take. I’m looking for a full new kit, which I can make bulletproof.

I know of the 3rd generation upgrade, but really want something more than that. I’ve looked into several off-road race applications from Willwood and Brembo, but can’t seem to find anything online that will fit my year/model truck. If I take a big brake kit from an 05’ model, from an aftermarket manufacturer, would these still fit the old 2nd gen. trucks? Any help with this would be awesome, and thanks on advice.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Maybe checkout EGRbrakes.com
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
You may need larger wheels to fit the newer model brakes...

Its a 3/4 ton truck, they stop 8800 lbs pretty good in my opinion...

Usually good rotors and pads with decent life on them are sufficient for every day driving.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I agree with SIXSLUG. I think these trucks stop pretty darn good for a 4 ton vehicle. That said, corrosion and braking habits can lead to poor braking ability. And if you have rear drums, making sure they're properly adjusted is important. Also, the GM cylinder upgrade is supposed to be worth it.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:04 PM

I need to update my profile, sorry. I have 17” Black Hummer H-2 wheels, so the larger brake upgrade would be fine. I don’t think the truck stops bad on it’s own, but it does when driving with a load greater than 4K IMHO (most things do if recall).

@ BarryG: I checked EGR, definitely a good looking setup, I think I’ll look more into these.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
^^^Then the third gen calipers and rotors with good pads should be a nice upgrade....

Its what I have planned for my truck if I ever get my third gen wheels back from my Dad!!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
I agree with SIXSLUG. I think these trucks stop pretty darn good for a 4 ton vehicle. That said, corrosion and braking habits can lead to poor braking ability. And if you have rear drums, making sure they're properly adjusted is important. Also, the GM cylinder upgrade is supposed to be worth it.

More than worth it!
They don't cost any more than the stock slaves and with an older vehicle the cylinders should all be chaecked anyway. If there is even a little seepage or too much rust replace with the bigger cylinders and it will suprise you. When I'm empty if I get even a little happy on the big pedal the ABS kicks in. When I say stop, it stops.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your insight. I think I’ll look into the 3rd Gen. upgrade with the GM Cylinder, it sounds like the golden ticket! On a side note, what year of 3rd Gen. truck Calipers should I go with? Does it matter?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by codyguy
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your insight. I think I’ll look into the 3rd Gen. upgrade with the GM Cylinder, it sounds like the golden ticket! On a side note, what year of 3rd Gen. truck Calipers should I go with? Does it matter?
Dont misunderstand the suggestions..... The 3rd gen trucks do not have drums so that upgrade means installing larger diameter wheels on the 2nd gen to accept the larger 3rd gen disc brakes all around. The GM wheel cylinder is only for the 2nd gen rear drums whereby replacing the Dodge smaller drum brake cylinders with larger 1 ton GM cylinders, the rear drums become stronger and are able to pull more weight for the front brakes.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 PM

The 01.5-02 model year trucks have full discs with the e-brake on a drum only, all years before that had drums in the back...I miss-understood the cylinder then, I thought you meant the (brake) master cylinder. Either way, I appreciate the insight into the matter. I’m gonna go with the 3rd Gen. brake upgrade after-all, there was another thread on this subject that I found and I guess they work really well.