24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Adding 2 stroke oil to Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm on my 2nd tank running 2 cycle. It's definitely quieter. I'll have to see about the mileage. Is it a waste of money to add the Power Service white too? The cost per tank to mileage is what I am going to try to figure out. I don't think 2 stroke adds any cetane #'s. Anyone? Kurt
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtaing
I don't think 2 stroke adds any cetane #'s. Anyone? Kurt
I had an oil engineer tell me it did. He did not state how much.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like LOUD!
But I used the 2-stroke@one oz per gallon and the recomended mix of whitebottle voodoo and the vp still bit the shed last september,Truck got noticably better mileage and was smoother.
Doing the math and with silky smooth driving i gained around two miles per gallon, example: 440 miles from 22 gals of fuel mixed compared to 400 miles from 22 gals un mixed,Sweet!
If its nice do it twice.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM

I'm a believer now. Half a tank used with 2 stroke and it sounds quieter and the truck seems to have a bit more pep.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I was just going to mention the "pep". I thought maybe I was having a false sense of improvement but it feels a little stronger during acceleration. Kurt
Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Southern Pride
has anyone added synthetic 2cycle oil with their fuel. i was thinking about using it, but didnt know if it would harm anything?
i have used gallons of the stuff, no difference than the other... the reason i used it is i got it at the same price as the other stuff
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 PM

well i add 1qt. of penzoil for a full tank, its kinda expensive where i buy it though its like $4 a quart... i may buy a gallon of the wal-mart stuff. and i also add the recommended oz. of diesel power additive. is there a need to run the additive or not?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 AM

PSD Tuner wrote:
i also add the recommended oz. of diesel power additive. is there a need to run the additive or not?
My .02,I just like the added Cetane,
though I expect it cuts the viscosity of the 2-stroke and the detergency of the fuel but just by a smidgeon.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM

I am currently not running 2-stroke oil but I have in the past. I did not notice any noise reduction(and that was before I put the 4" on) however I did notice a gain of approx. .5-1MPG. I quite using it as winter started just because I was not sure how it would work in the cold. That and I had some Howe's to use up. But now that I have the exhaust and the EZ turned up I think I will try it again and see how it fares.
The thing I see about adding the diesel power additive and the 2-stroke is the added cost. I'm not sure what diesel power runs per tank but I imagine it will be another $1 maybe $2 per tank? which depending on how many miles you drive could be a big issue or not. But then again if you drive a truck that gets about 15.5 average an extra 200-300 dollars a year probably won't make that much difference except for peace of mind and the added fun factor.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Service dosage is 1qt.=32oz/100 gal.....3.2oz/10 gal.
At $7/qt. , I'm adding about 7 cents/gal of fuel.
I wasn't going to add anything when the weather warms up since I was using B20 but I read a report from the major injector pump manufacturers warning against the use of biodiesel....figures since I get B20 10 cents/gal cheaper than regular diesel here.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Kazairl you don't have to worry about 2 stoke in the winter. It actually helps reduce fuel gelling in cold temps.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
one more thing, wal-mart 2 stroke oil changes the color of red fuel,,,, or so i've been told
Old 01-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
one more thing, wal-mart 2 stroke oil changes the color of red fuel,,,, or so i've been told
I would have to test that in a glass jar to believe it. I'm having a hard time understanding how 20 ounces of walmart 2 stoke could possibly alter the color of 20 gallons of red dyed fuel. You should really consider the source of that particular information. Besides, it ain't worth the risk!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I helped one of the guys on here put a HPFP (I watched mostly) on his rig and noticed his fuel had a different color to it. I asked him about it and he said he was running 2 stroke oil and that's what changed the color. Never really looked at mine so hadn't noticed it before. Not sure it would change the red to different color but it was noticeable change on his rig.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kazairl
I am currently not running 2-stroke oil but I have in the past. I did not notice any noise reduction(and that was before I put the 4" on) however I did notice a gain of approx. .5-1MPG. I quite using it as winter started just because I was not sure how it would work in the cold. That and I had some Howe's to use up. But now that I have the exhaust and the EZ turned up I think I will try it again and see how it fares.
The thing I see about adding the diesel power additive and the 2-stroke is the added cost. I'm not sure what diesel power runs per tank but I imagine it will be another $1 maybe $2 per tank? which depending on how many miles you drive could be a big issue or not. But then again if you drive a truck that gets about 15.5 average an extra 200-300 dollars a year probably won't make that much difference except for peace of mind and the added fun factor.
I think people think that the engine get quieter, it really does not ..BUT when I dont use 2 stroke you can really hear the injection pump hammering away especially at idle, once you isolate the noise you are listening for it's quite noticable!! I use 2 stroke with every tank, at least until the other day when I was on a Hot Shot (long distance delivery) and I filled up but had no 2 stroke in the truck, 3hrs later when I got home prior to shut down I thought I'd check the tranny oil, opened the hood and wondered where the "noise " was comming from, it was very noticable and loud to boot.
next time you top up with 2 stroke have a listen at/near the IP before and after...
FWIW I use 2 Stroke all year round and incase you did not know it aint too warm here in the Largest northern City in North America.

Quick Reply: Adding 2 stroke oil to Fuel