24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

02 Ram 3500 dead petal

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Ram 3500 dead petal

for some time every once in a while I'll be driving along and I'll step on the accelerator petal and nothing, I mean no acceleration. I'll wait a few seconds step on the petal and no problem off we go. Now I'll start it, let it warm up and step on the petal to take off and nothing. Stop, put transmission in park, turn engine off, wait a few seconds, restart, place in drive and no problem. Only now its happening more often. Edge program, 18 psi fuel, Fass system, Transmission beefed up, shift kit, torque converter, etc. can't quite figure this out. any ideas? thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you check for any diagnostic codes? Dead pedal can be a sign of a failing APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) or a failing VP44 injection pump. The first things you need to do are:

Pull any diagnostic codes and disconnect your Edge. Disconnecting the Edge puts you back to stock and then we can figure out what is going on with respect to codes.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM

02 Ram 3500 dead petal

Thanks so much for the info. Now I have a starting point. In a day or so I'll disconnect the edge like you suggested we'll put a scanner on and go from there. You'll here from me soon. Thanks again
Old 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM

02 Ram 3500 dead petal

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Have you check for any diagnostic codes? Dead pedal can be a sign of a failing APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) or a failing VP44 injection pump. The first things you need to do are:

Pull any diagnostic codes and disconnect your Edge. Disconnecting the Edge puts you back to stock and then we can figure out what is going on with respect to codes.
so I did some more research and took your advice disconnected the Edge put a scanner on and not a single code came up. I then got a tip to call a guy Doug from Blue chip diesel in Massachusetts. This guy knows the business when it comes to these vp44's. He suggests disconnecting the edge and lets see what happens. He wants me to disconnect everything. Well I start out by simply turning off the edge from inside the cab. go out to run some errand,s no problem, no dead petal, turn it back on, same issue's.Gonna go out today and try a few things just to confirm this, JUICE, EDGE WITH ATTITUDE programmer is the culprit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-11-2015, 06:53 AM

Now its about 8am and I'm gonna scan one more time before i take the truck out and now I have a code PO216 Injection Timing control circuit malfunction.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 AM

9:30 am been out experimenting with my truck, first I erased the code PO216 whether the Edge is on or off it still acts up so now I thinking its could be the module on top of my vp44.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The guys at Blue Chip know their stuff. Whenever anyone asks if their VP44 is heading south I refer them to the diagostic procedures on the Blue Chip website.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 AM

02 Ram 3500 dead petal

So its been a long and expensive 2 weeks. Once I start something I don't stop. Took the truck to a fairly new shop in town and had this thing Dyno tested. That told me pretty much what I already new. VP44 was on its way out. What I didn't now was that awful squealing noise I though was my alternator was really my turbo also on its way out. Hooked with this guy Steve at Metro Fuel in Deep River Connecticut and put together a great package. HP VP44 with injectors. Of course new turbo. Adjust valves. Also added a remote transmission cooler with a fan .Rewired the Edge. Couple new brake lines which doesn't really mean anything but needed to be done. Couldn't wait to run this thing. Finally the truck I've always needed. Good power, petal response awesome. Headed to the White Mountains in NH pulling my 35ft 5th wheel today,can't wait to run this thing.