1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wouldn't start this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't start this morning!

Went to start the truck this morning. On the first try it stumbled but didn’t catch, tried again same thing. Tried a third time, nothing, no stumble just cranked. Checked the lift pump, seemed fine as I could manually pump fuel. Next I cracked open the injectors and cranked. Got fuel on #1-5. Nothing on #6. Tried it again, this time I got some foamy fuel out of #6. Truck fired up but with a miss. Bleed the injectors while running and again #6 had no real pressure just foamy fuel. I let it run while I moved the wife’s car out of the driveway so I could pull it in to work on. The truck was stumbling pretty good and pushing white smoke. When I hit the curb with the front wheels I goosed the throttle to get over. I got a big cloud of white smoke and then the miss cleared up. Cracked open #6 and it was getting good pressure. ?????????<br><br>Shut it down for 10 minutes fired right up again. SOOOOO I’m off to work with tools and a step ladder just in case.<br><br>Any ideas what happened? Why did I getting air in the #6 line??????????<br><br>Jay<br>
Old 06-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Wouldn't start this morning!

Sounds like either contaminants in the #6 dv or the injector stuck open. ???
Old 06-20-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Wouldn't start this morning!

You are probably getting air into the injection system and just by chance, it was visual on #6. I had a terrible time diagnosing a air problem and finally found the culprit. The fuel tank sending unit which has a moveable float and coiled plastic hose in it was sucking air. Truck would run fine and at odd times would quit. I would have to bleed the air out like you did. Replacement unit was too much (over $200). Modified the tank unit with a common metal standpipe located 1 inch off the bottom of the tank. Cost of repair was about $5 in fittings. Time involved in finding the problem seemed like hundreds of hours. I would install a clear plastic hose between the lift pump and the supply line from the tank. Look for air bubbles. The special fitting on the lift pump will unscrew (1/4 pipe thread). If you see air bubbles, work your way back to the tank. Everything after the lift pump is pressurized fuel, so normally you can see a leak there when running the engine. Had I used the plastic hose method, I probably would have found the problem much quicker. &quot;Knowledge is power&quot;.<br>