1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

what in the sam hill?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what in the sam hill?

it all began the last time i changed my oil. the last three times, pressure stays up at about 2/3 for about a week, then drops down to just over one third. it also takes a while to get there. i remember someone writing about how a new sender had cured their same problem. so i put a new one in on sat. i get about HALF the reading now. . yesterday, a friend gave me an autometer oil pressure guage to see what kind of actual pressure i'm getting. i went to put it in tonight and realised that the sender is about ten times the size of stock. am i going to need some kind of brass snake to get this thing on or what? oh yeah, my brain might have been playing tricks on me, but i almost thought that i smelled a hint of fuel in the oil on the end of the sender, none from the dipstick though. while i'm at it, what is the best way to install a thermocouple? well, thanks for reading. any ideas?
Old 11-05-2003, 05:53 PM

Re:what in the sam hill?

ANY ideas?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:46 PM

Let's see, stock sender about 1" in diameter, new one 10 times larger, that would make it 10" : NOPE it won't fit, are you talking about the THREAD size, or actual size of the sender, the stock sender should be either 1/8 or 1/4" NPT. Manual gauge kits come with all the fittings needed (GOOD ONES), but don't use the flimsey plastic tubing, splurge for the copper, it's a lot safer. Just my .02 worth
Old 11-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Chapter President

If you go to a machanical gauge I would not use the nylon or copper tubing ( If you use the gauge longer than just to see what the pressure is). The nylon that comes with kits does not like heat, and I think the engine would vibrate too much for copper. I myself would use braided hose. Braided hose is what I used on my gauge. I know some people will think it is overkill, but it is what I would use.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a fitting on top of your oil filter mount - it will fit quite nicely on there. I have one there it fits and I didn't have to cut a hole in the hood. ;D ;D. The pressure comes up quite quickly so you know the turbo is getting oil in seconds.

Bob
Old 11-06-2003, 01:40 AM

right on. the autometer is electrical, and the sender is actually only about the size of the gauge. but i didn't even try to deal with that. just to see, i got a mochanical one from napa. warm idle is about 28 psi, warm 55 in fifth is about 53psi. does that seem to correspond with what i was seeing on my stock guage (low pressure)? i like the braided line idea, where's a good place to get it? thanks for the tips guys.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what mine shows.

Bob
Old 11-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Chapter President

First off I never belive what the stock guess-o-meter is telling me. Now is that 5 pounds or 60 pounds? At hot idle 28psi is fine. Cummins says 10psi at hot idle is ok. I myself would want more than 10psi at idle.

I would think a truck parts place can get you braided line. Aeroquip has the fancy stainless steel line, but I would use the industrial line. The industrial stuff will cost much less and work fine for what you want.