2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Sam's Tire service? long

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam's Tire service? long

I was curious if anyone has purchased tires from Sam's before. After checking my area for prices, Sam's seemed like a great deal on the tires. I did have to pay an extra two dollars a wheel because I was in the "motorhome" class with dually rear wheels.

First time I check my tire pressure, guess what? That is right the "master tire tech" did not align the opening for access into the inner wheel on one side. I did it right for them. About three weeks ago, I took them back in for my free rotation in 59 minutes and told them to ensure my rims were installed correctly so I could check my inner tires. Well, you see this one coming right?

After three hours got my truck back, and went home. Next time I filled up, I checked the pressures again and... Tadaaaa, yep they messed it up again. I fixed them again. Next time I think me an the tire manager are going to go a round or two and the truck isn't getting off the rack till I inspect them.

These guys install tires for a living shouldn't they know better?

Sorry for ranting.

James
Old 07-06-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you expect, they pay those guys 5 bucks an hour, they could give a **** about you or your truck. Sad, but if they made a bit more money they might care a little bit.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:15 PM

Maybe a 6 pack of whatever (depending upon age) or a pizza will help them remember you (and how it's done) next time.

I do agree, talk with the manager, I see no reason why he would not let you check the tires before it's off the rack. While I am intolerant of incompetency, Mcmopar nailed it, they get paid lousy for the work that they do. I guess you just gotta stay on em. Good luck, Kevin
Old 07-06-2004, 05:38 PM

They will continue to be poorly paid as long as they give inferior service even after you had to remind them to do the job right.

Does anyone know for a fact what they are paid? (as if that should matter as far as doing a good job or not) It seems like "kids these days" get paid $10/hr or more for doing jobs that used to be minimum wage.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:10 PM

Yeah... I opted NOT to buy my tires from Sams on the sole reason of charging me $2 extra because I have a dually... When you have other big names like Belle Tire or Discount Tire including all the balancing and mounting for free AND having tires for less price than Sams... I figured I go where the real tire experts were...

ohhh yeah... I ended up going to a guy I know at Budget Tire... Great price and good service! Got my dually extenders and steel valve stems all setup nicely for me!

Tony
Old 07-06-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sam's sounds a lot like Les Schwab in the west. You have to watch their every move.
Another tire shop manager told me Schwab is great for training employees for him. In other words the guys go to Schwab knowing nothing, but leave shortly desiring better pay.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 AM

I've had similar issues with Costco. They are very slow and do rather crummy customer service work..... but they were much less expensive than other places.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:20 AM

When I first bought my truck, I had to replace the 2 rear tires. Purchased them from Sams, the kid who did the work did not put the center cap on the rim correctly, and it came off on the way home. Luckily it came off while I was coming to a stop, and noticed it roll by. I recently purchased 4 new tires from Sams, and a different person installed them(not a kid), he seemed knowlegdable, however he also did not get the center caps on correctly, but I checked them all before leaving and had him do it right. Sams has great prices on name brand tires, you just have to make sure they do the work correctly.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Chapter President

I have bought tires from Sam's always got good service and didn't get charged the RV rate....Last time the Installer even asked what tire pressures I wanted in my tires
Only had trouble with my tires once.....a weight came off the left front....they rebalanced both front tires free
Old 07-08-2004, 05:01 PM

I wish there were more Sam's Installers like that spread around the country....... In an ideal world.......
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 PM

I hear ya on the pay, I work for an international Dealer, going to school for Diesel Tech ( mechanics) When i got the job they hired me on at 7.50, week later another mechanic foudn out i was makin more than him ( which i agree isnt fair he was htere 6 months) So instead of raising him they dropped me which was pretty crummy. But hey i havent graduated and im Part time so 7 is alright. Every other place in town has told future grads in August when we do graduate they ar hired at anywhere from 11.50-13.50. When i talked ot the manager about where i sit when i graduate, he wasnt sure if he could even get me 10 and they just hired a guy at 9.50. I enjoy the work, but need to be able to make a living at the same time. I could sit in air conditiong flippin burgers for that. Needless to say ive already decided I wont be staying around long. WHich is a problem they have. They day shift, no one under the age of 50. Which theres nothign wrong with, but at retirement age they should maybe htink about starting to phase in some younger blood The night shift consist of our supervisor which has been there 4 years, been supervisor for 3 of those years becuase for about 6 months i guess he was the only night shift crewman. Then 2 of us that are going to school for diesel tech. and the new guy that graduated 2 years ago.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 PM

My buddy is an assistant manager at a discount, He still does tires though and I trust only him to touch my rig.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Muted User

Im the tech in charge for a big H/D trucking fleet ive been there 6yr makeing $19 hr. there is no way they get me wrenching for less then $15. but every one has to start somewhere, i started off at the pumps makeing $9.50 and i thought that was good !! because befor that i was doing the tire thing for firestone makeing $7 well you get what you pay for maybe if those places paid more the mechanics would take more pride in what they do. but there will always be that one guy who just dont give two ***** about his work and makes every one else in his line of work look like a jack***.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:28 AM

yeah see thats my delimea, I pride myself on my work. And the abilty to learn how to do the job right. But at the same time, I believe you should get what you pay for, going by companys here. Talkin about the comany here, not the customer. And you cang et quality for the right price. And nething below average isnt gonna cut it these days

Quick Reply: Sam's Tire service? long