1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What kind of truck should I be looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What kind of truck should I be looking for?

I'm driving myself crazy researching and searching for a cummins 12v. I've been reading here and at several of the other diesel truck forums but I'm still fairly unsure about what exactly I need to be looking for.

I'm looking for a 4x4, 5spd in the Portland, Oregon area.

My application is work truck & towing rig. I need a 4x4 because in the winter I occasionally have to deal with snow. I'd need to be able to tow up to a 30' travel trailer or an equivalent 5th wheel. Other than that I need it to handle building materials and runs to the dump.

This vehicle won't be driven daily. It may sit for a month or two at a time without being used. BTW my daily driver is an 85 benz turbo diesel. I'm new to diesels and I'm addicted now. I've worked on plenty of old cars.

The questions:

What model? 2500? 1500?

5spd or Auto? I like to drive. 5spd seems like more fun/interesting as well as getting better MPG. Is an auto any better for towing?

1st gen or 2nd gen? I know I'll be paying a premium for the cummins engine, but I would still like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Are the benefits of 2nd gen worth the price difference?

Intercooler? Did any 1st gen have them? How can I tell which ones have it? Is it important to have?

Gearing? Axels? What should I be looking for?

Any towing related things I need to consider?

Any other advice? Things to be on the lookout for?

A link to a buyers guide would be great. Turbodieselregister seems to be a pay site so I couldn't get at that one.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, you are asking 1st gen guys so we are going to be a little biased.

You want a W250 or W350. For a trailer that big a dually wouldn't be a bad idea, but the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton models is what overload springs you could get and which brake shoes it had. Either truck will pull the load.

Since this is primarily a tow rig, hold out for a 5 speed, you will be glad you did.

2nd gen benefits: Mainly better ride quality. This is offset by the infamous death wobble. Both 1st gens and 2nd gens have their good points and bad points. I think the 1st gen is a better truck for a DIY kind of guy, because they are so much easier to work on.

'91.5-'93 models were intercooled. If this is gonna be a stock or mostly stock tow rig there's no reason to avoid the non-intercooled trucks.

Only two gearing options to consider, 3.54's or 4.10's. Axles are all the same. For your intended use 4.10's wouldn't be a bad idea.

Watch out for rust above the windshield.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use my truck mostly for towing up to 10k pounds and hauling hay and firewood.

Like the man says, hold out for the five speed. It will take longer to find your truck but you will be glad you did. That being said, a stock five speed will be a Getrag and if I had known to constantly watch the fluid level like a hawk and over fill it a little, I may not have needed a new transmission when I did. I upgraded to the New Venture 4500 and I love it. I think it has slightly better gear spacing than the Getrag did.

Go for intercooled unless you find a perfect cherry truck for a great deal that doesn't have one. Watch out for the dang doors falling apart/off. My driver's door is in sorry shape and needs a new lower hinge and reinforcing around the hinge mount.

I sure wish I could have found an extended cab truck. That is the one regret I have about this rig. Since I have a flatbed, I have no box with canopy to throw all my luggage and what not in, so my cab is often stuffed with stuff when I am on the road for days. But I was tired of looking and I needed a truck to get back to work, so I finally gave up and settled for a regular cab.

If you are going to do a lot of heavy towing, I would get an exhaust brake. I ate my brakes alive towing heavy loads of lumber through the mountains a few times.

I love my truck and I don't think I would have loved a second gen body any more. And the price difference at the time I bought my truck was significant to get that newer body style.

Also, look in the Capital Press class ads; you can find them online. It is a farm newspaper and that is where I finally found my truck. I had to drive out to eastern WA to get it, but it was worth the trouble. It wasn't too easy finding a five speed truck in the Portland area.

My truck has the 3.54 gears and they pull just fine with this awesome engine. Although it is a 3/4 ton, it also came with the big brake drums in back. It has the narrower shoes, but I think I could add the wider 1 ton shoes if I chose to.

Oh and don't be afraid of mileage on this engine that would be scary to have on a gas engine. My truck had 190k on it when I bought it. At those miles, this engine is just getting started. And at 270k, it still runs like a top. The rest of the high mileage truck will need attention though, since the body was NOT made to last as long as the engine.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 AM

Ditto on everything above. My '93 has 3.54's and I tow a 12k 5th all over the place with no problems. Get a good hitch, don't cheap out there. Craigslist has Cummins trucks occasionally also. If your buying a used 5 speed first thing to do is drain and refill the trans as normal, then over fill it. I've heard 1 to 2 quarts... Anyone else help out here?
Also, my trans guy told me to dump in a quart of Slick 50 first, then the regular 15w40 diesel motor oil. Trans has perormed flawlessly for over 70K even without the overfill.

Easy way to tell if a 1st Gen is intercooled: non-IC goes straight from turbo to intake over the valve covers. On IC'd the turbo is rotated counter clockwise and the ducting goes forward tot eh core support on the passenger side, then from the core support to the intake on the driver side. You'll understand as soon as you open the hood.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I will add this :

If you see a five-speed Cummins 1st Gen. with a "for sale" sign in the window, you aren't going to have time to dicker and debate, someone will buy it out from under you, while you are deciding what to do.

When one is for sale, you have to act QUICK.

More times than not, I have driven two-hundred miles, to look at a 5-speed truck, and meet it leaving with the new owner behind the wheel.

As to the windshield rust issue, don't let it be a deal-breaker on an otherwise good truck; it is a lot easier to address the rust issue, than it is to find another truck with the Cummins/5-speed.

Gas-burners, with good solid cabs, can be bought for next to nothing, and the cab swapped to the good truck.

The only thing good about the 2nd Gen.s is the engine and rear-end.

They have a disposable front-end, a questionable 5-speed that everyone I know of has been out at least once; they DO NOT have a NP205 transfer-case; and, it seems like everyone that I see has a fender missing, or a door caved in.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I agree with Bearkiller when you find a five speed truck, buy it because it wont be there when you go back
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM

keep looking at oregon craigslist, everytime i check it out there is always a sweet deal, for a while there were a couple of CLEAN d-350's, 5 spd, you could always consider a 4wd swap.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
I will add this :
If you see a five-speed Cummins 1st Gen. with a "for sale" sign in the window, you aren't going to have time to dicker and debate, someone will buy it out from under you, while you are deciding what to do.

When one is for sale, you have to act QUICK.
I agree with that! I missed two five speed trucks by not having my funds in place fast enough. When I found my truck, I immediately headed out to get it as soon as I got off the phone with the guy. And by the time I got there, there were two other buyers waiting for the guy to call them back in case I didn't take it. I didn't get to quibble about the price, even though the truck needed new rubber right away.

Also ditto on craigslist. I have seen some good 1st gen trucks there.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of information I needed.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything they just said. BUT do not be afraid of 4.10 gearing. I got 20 mpg highway doing 70 mph and keeping my foot outta it Around town I got 15-17 mpg keeping my foot into it.

To add to the buy it quick, listen to them! I saw a 89 D350 5spd. No bed, needed brakes and brake lines, cab decent, tire shot, that ugly brown color for $1000. I called the guy, he told me the what was wrong (and it even came with a PTO pump for a wrecker attachment) and I said let me check my bank. 45 mins later I told him I would take it. He said it was sold! This truck was sold in about 3 hours time. I kick myself every time I think about it.

Jon
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by simonp
Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of information I needed.

One more satisfied customer.