1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Not surprising that Jim is right. Its his NORM. Careful, he needs to fit,through his entry door at home, tonight, and we wouldn't want him to have his wife another smotherhis head with grease to get him to fit through.

Lol

these trucks are silly, ground losing wonders of machinery.

Lol
If the fix holds I'll have to get some Black #10 wire to replace the Red wire I used because I didn't have black. Just because. Even though the electrons don't care it will nag me until I change it.

The idea of Jim Lane with his head all greased up is funny. I'd pay money for THAT pic.

Edwin
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Picked up my 92 W250 frame from frame shop today. She is all dialed-in and within factory specs. Next step is to blast, prime and paint her.
Also, ordered rear spring hangers and shackles from ATS Springs and have a message into JungleJim for his front spring HD frame bushing kits (Shackle end).
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-frame_pu.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Diesel_Dawg:
edwinsmith (03-20-2018), mknittle (03-22-2018), thrashingcows (03-22-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg
Picked up my 92 W250 frame from frame shop today. She is all dialed-in and within factory specs. Next step is to blast, prime and paint her.
Also, ordered rear spring hangers and shackles from ATS Springs and have a message into JungleJim for his front spring HD frame bushing kits (Shackle end).
1st, NICE TRUCK! 2nd, look into his steering box reinforcement kit too. Now’s the time to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 73CrewCab:
Diesel_Dawg (03-21-2018), mknittle (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab

1st, NICE TRUCK! 2nd, look into his steering box reinforcement kit too. Now’s the time to do it.
Thanks, but I have a RR steering box and mount from a mid 70's W200 that I am going to use on this frame.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diesel_Dawg:
mknittle (03-22-2018), thrashingcows (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
So yesterday I pulled out the fuel shutoff solenoid to look at that. When I pulled it out the plunger was still in the hole. When I grabbed it and pulled it out it more popped out. Is that normal or is it toast? I had to run after that so I didn’t even have a chance to put the throttle linkage bracket back on to try and start it. I have a cable rigged up to shut the truck off from previous times having issues with it.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
So yesterday I pulled out the fuel shutoff solenoid to look at that. When I pulled it out the plunger was still in the hole. When I grabbed it and pulled it out it more popped out. Is that normal or is it toast? I had to run after that so I didn’t even have a chance to put the throttle linkage bracket back on to try and start it. I have a cable rigged up to shut the truck off from previous times having issues with it.
The FSS is made up of 3 pieces. The solenoid, a small coil spring similar,to what is,used in a pen, and the tube/plunger assembly. They are all separate. They normally come,out apart.
What condition is the plunger in? They get brittle over time, crack apart, and cause headaches like you're seeing.

While you have it out, its a good time to test it. Connect a wire to the post end, assemble the solenoid , spring and plunger (it falls apart easily, so be careful) and while the end of that wire is on the positive post, ground the solenoid body to the negative post on the battery. The solenoid should click, and suck that plunger inwards. Be CAREFUL releasing, as the spring will want to shoot that plunger off when released from the negative terminal.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Btw, its a good,idea to buy a spare FSS and keep it in your truck for a spare. I buy the Bosch VW diesel solenoid, as its a third of the cost , and work exactly the same as the high dollar ones.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM

The FSS is made up of 3 pieces. The solenoid, a small coil spring similar,to what is,used in a pen, and the tube/plunger assembly. They are all separate. They normally come,out apart.
What condition is the plunger in? They get brittle over time, crack apart, and cause headaches like you're seeing.

While you have it out, its a good time to test it. Connect a wire to the post end, assemble the solenoid , spring and plunger (it falls apart easily, so be careful) and while the end of that wire is on the positive post, ground the solenoid body to the negative post on the battery. The solenoid should click, and suck that plunger inwards. Be CAREFUL releasing, as the spring will want to shoot that plunger off when released from the negative terminal.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to pull it back out and find a wire to put between the battery positive terminal and the solenoid while it is resting on the negative terminal. Also, I’m guessing the blue wire is the power for the solenoid and the Black is the ground?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:27 PM

VR problems

Well it's NOT fixed.

I started up to go to O'Reilly's for some #10 black wire to replace the red and the voltage spiked up to 19 volts! I pulled into the garage and put my other voltmeter on the battery and wiggled the ground wire I put in and no difference. I wiggled the new VR plug I put on and the voltage settled down to 14.5 or so.

So now I guess I'll put the other VR back in in case the old one is flaky.

But I don't feel like working on it today and it's fixing to rain so maybe by Friday or the weekend.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg
Thanks, but I have a RR steering box and mount from a mid 70's W200 that I am going to use on this frame.
That's the way to go!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Well it's NOT fixed.

I started up to go to O'Reilly's for some #10 black wire to replace the red and the voltage spiked up to 19 volts! I pulled into the garage and put my other voltmeter on the battery and wiggled the ground wire I put in and no difference. I wiggled the new VR plug I put on and the voltage settled down to 14.5 or so.

So now I guess I'll put the other VR back in in case the old one is flaky.

But I don't feel like working on it today and it's fixing to rain so maybe by Friday or the weekend.

I hate electrical gremlins. Especially intermittent ones.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Yesterday, I fired up the black crew cab for the first time in 2 1/2 years. It fired up like I took it to town an hour before. The last ride for it was Charlotte and I going to the Mopar show in Carlisle in it two summers ago.
I plan on pulling the motor next week to throw on a few gaskets and a replace the dented / leaking oil pan with a nice clean OEM one. The pan is off a '90 truck that had veggie oil run through it and popped the motor by the previous owner. All that oil made the metal nice and oily, and not rusty. That '90 truck also just donated the front half of the frame for my 2wd Ramcharger project.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (03-22-2018), thrashingcows (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM

Swore at it

Dang thing still won’t start! I pulled the plunger out of the FSS and bled all 6 injectors and no start. Filled bore that fuel pin sits in with WD-40 overnight and through the day and slide pin was still stuck. Got all WD-40 out and reapplied grease to fuel pin and put pump top back together and then bottomed our smoke screw. I then got in the truck and put the pedal to the floor and tried cranking it, hoping it would start. No such luck I tried the last method per a mechanic on instagram’s suggestion. He think the truck won’t start from the pin being stuck. I hope the pump doesn’t have a part broken inside. I called the mechanic that did the tune up on the truck and helped me get most all the crud from WVO out of the fuel system and he think the pump may have finally given up. I then told him everything I had done and he said he would look at the diagram he has of how the pump works again and get back to me. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
I hate electrical gremlins. Especially intermittent ones.
And the worst part is that they usually turn out to be something so bloody simple, even a caveman could have fixed it. Me ? I'm thinking crummy Dodge wiring breaking somewhere, but you can't / haven't seen / found it yet.

ugh. Sorry to hear, Edwin. Maybe drop the truck off at Jims place, and let him fiddle with it for a while. You will have to pay him, as apparently, where he lives, he needs 25 hour security on his place, vehicles, stuff in his yard...

Whatever you do, don't let the wife in the truck. Bad mojo, so far.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:08 PM

And the worst part is that they usually turn out to be something so bloody simple, even a caveman could have fixed it. Me ? I'm thinking crummy Dodge wiring breaking somewhere, but you can't / haven't seen / found it yet.

ugh. Sorry to hear, Edwin. Maybe drop the truck off at Jims place, and let him fiddle with it for a while. You will have to pay him, as apparently, where he lives, he needs 25 hour security on his place, vehicles, stuff in his yard...

Whatever you do, don't let the wife in the truck. Bad mojo, so far.
What makes things worse is, I'm an electronics engineer! The biggest problem is the VR is located in the hardest place to get at of the whole truck. I'm about ready to move it. It rained today so I didn't feel like going out in it even though I can just drive the truck a few feet into the garage. Tomorrow I'll swap out the VR again and put the black ground wire on it. Those electrons are prejudiced! (Warning snowflakes! I'm being sarcastic!) I wonder if a bad ground could damage the VR's.

The wife went with me on Tuesday and the voltage was rock steady for the whole trip. We went over to Huntington Beach Denny's for supper. Then last night we went to Ihop for supper and then to groceries and it was all over the place.

I'm thinking of building a platform to lay on so I can get to stuff on top of the engine. I can put a remote controller to lift me up and move me around on wires. Yeah! That's the ticket!

Edwin

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?