1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
[QUOTE=KRB;3344793]
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
Well, it rained last night. Then the sun came out until about 4:30pm and it started raining again. Went to Lowes to grab some grass seed and steer poop... I figured it would be a good idea after I saw some mud plop down from the frame of my truck and one of the guys said “looks like cow schtuff”. I saw this big mud puddle and since I was done early today...and my truck was clean...and I had nothing else to do... and I DO have a pressure washer.... I figured that it was “Figure 8 Tuesday”.

I like how you mounted your LED bar. Most only look good on newer trucks but yours is in a good spot. Plus you wouldn't get the glare off your hood. When do you use it?

Thanks, it was originally just meant as a $65 hole filler, since I had the motor 2” too far forward and had to cut the valance for intercooler clearance. It’s only on when I’m off-road, or in a very dark area with no oncoming traffic. I also use it as a work light, when I’m working on the job site at night.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts

A few simple orange road cones in the middle of the street would solve this. Set up a “drivers training course”. They’ll slow down. I had a kid in a lowered Honda doing the same with the windows down and stereo all the way up. I blasted him with the garden hose. When he backed up to yell at me, I grabbed him by the shirt, hit the seatbelt release and removed him from his vehicle and detained him on the pavement. When the neighbors came out, I informed him that there are many fathers with little kids riding bikes and horses. Long story short, every time he’d come up the street, the volume went down and he obeyed the speed limit. 3 of the neighbors brought me 12 packs and shook my hand
I could get away with that 20 years ago. I'd be in the local PD guest room if I tried that today, considering how spineless these "enforcers " are, here, today.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts

A few simple orange road cones in the middle of the street would solve this. Set up a “drivers training course”. They’ll slow down. I had a kid in a lowered Honda doing the same with the windows down and stereo all the way up. I blasted him with the garden hose. When he backed up to yell at me, I grabbed him by the shirt, hit the seatbelt release and removed him from his vehicle and detained him on the pavement. When the neighbors came out, I informed him that there are many fathers with little kids riding bikes and horses. Long story short, every time he’d come up the street, the volume went down and he obeyed the speed limit. 3 of the neighbors brought me 12 packs and shook my hand
I did a similar thing to a group of young guys who were renting in my old neighbourhood. We lived a few hundred feet from the elementary school so the whole area was full of small kids. These guys thought it would be great fun to race around our area on one of those pocket rocket street bikes, no insurance etc.

I gave it a day or two and then walked right out in front of the guy when he was racing down the street. Told him that I didn't care that he was riding it, just not to do it in the area, and said that this was his one "polite" confrontation with me and next time I would knock him off the bike as he goes by. Needless to say he/they did not take me serious...so next time I heard them racing around the area I was ready and standing in the middle of the road with a 8 foot 2x4 over my shoulder in a batters stance.....he hit the brakes hard!

Words were exchanged....mostly me threatening him. Later that day he loaded up his homies in a car to come by for a "word"....I figured that might happen so I had my 2x4 ready.....they stopped, we glared at each other and they figured that confronting the large 300lb gorilla with a 2x4 as a bat would be a bad life choice.....

Never heard the bike again.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Goose (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
A kind word and a gun will get you more than a kind word alone.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:02 PM

Well the eagle pooped today so I took the truck out and filled the tank. $53.00 OUCH! then I went by O'Reilly's for a gallon of antifreeze and I figured it was about time so I ordered 3 gallons of Valvoline 15w40 diesel oil. When I got home I checked the log and discovered that I've only put about 350 miles on the truck since I changed the oil in November. That's when I drained out 8 gallons of oil+fuel.

The top radiator hose was leaking a bit so I filled the overflow bottle up to the max line after I fixed the leak of course.

I noticed my voltmeter is reading almost 16 volts so I don't know what that's about other than maybe it has been sitting a while and the radio drains the battery down some. I drove it some but it didn't help so maybe if it's still doing it tomorrow I may swap the VR back to the one I had before. I thought I had this issue fixed.

Edwin
Old 03-01-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
I tried

I just got back in from trying to take the AFC top hat off and found I couldn’t get the screws to break loose. I was going to see if the diaphragm was ripped, but I didn’t have much time, so I called it quits. I got the boost line going from the intake manifold to the afc off easy enough, but the screws didn’t want to budge. Anyone have any thoughts? The truck gets up to 60 decently enough, but then it doesn’t have anything much left at all once you get to 65-70 m.p.h. Truck again doesn’t sound like it is really revving out. It also takes about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle to maintain 65 m.p.h. It also only gets about 12.5m.p.g. empty on the highway. Pretty frustrating.Doesn’t seem like even a stock truck would be this underpowered. Not to mention what looks like a very slight timing bump and maybe the star wheel was tampered with by the P.O., or maybe the shop I had do a tune up on it after I bought it and was battling all the crud in the fuel system from the WVO. Looks like there might still be the collar on the power screw as I can’t see any threads and it isn’t the lock nut blocking my view of them. I guess I should start a separate thread on this issue, but it seems that people are happy to help with these type of things here.

When end I said the truck gets up to 60m.p.h. decent, I don’t mean it at all puts you back in your seat even a little. It just isn’t too painfully slow that way. I can feel the turbo spool after a few seconds, but I don’t get some huge increase in power when that happens. So I guess you could say I scratched my head in my first gen today and just kind of stared at it and drove it a short distance.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows; Needless to say he/they did not take me serious...so next time I heard them racing around the area I was ready and standing in the middle of the road with a 8 foot 2x4 over my shoulder in a batters stance.....he hit the brakes hard!

Words were exchanged....mostly me threatening him. Later that day he loaded up his homies in a car to come by for a "word"....I figured that might happen so I had my 2x4 ready.....they stopped, we glared at each other and they figured that confronting the large 300lb gorilla with a 2x4 as a bat would be a bad life choice.....[laugh

just goes to show how stupid people can be....
thrashingcows (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I did a similar thing to a group of young guys who were renting in my old neighbourhood. We lived a few hundred feet from the elementary school so the whole area was full of small kids. These guys thought it would be great fun to race around our area on one of those pocket rocket street bikes, no insurance etc.

I gave it a day or two and then walked right out in front of the guy when he was racing down the street. Told him that I didn't care that he was riding it, just not to do it in the area, and said that this was his one "polite" confrontation with me and next time I would knock him off the bike as he goes by. Needless to say he/they did not take me serious...so next time I heard them racing around the area I was ready and standing in the middle of the road with a 8 foot 2x4 over my shoulder in a batters stance.....he hit the brakes hard!

Words were exchanged....mostly me threatening him. Later that day he loaded up his homies in a car to come by for a "word"....I figured that might happen so I had my 2x4 ready.....they stopped, we glared at each other and they figured that confronting the large 300lb gorilla with a 2x4 as a bat would be a bad life choice.....

Anyone ever call you Buford?

I would shorten that 2x4 up to about 5' just to make is a bit easier to swing. Having an AR strapped to your back is always a plus.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I dunno...if I saw that man in the middle of the street with an eight foot two x four looking at ME.....I'd be in line for a passport asap.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Well went out to drive the truck to dinner with the wife and the voltmeter shot up to 19 volts!

The wife is truly a jinx! SO I guess I'll get the meter out there tomorrow and see what happened.

Edwin
Old 03-01-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

Should change your user name to "Thrashing CowARDS" ! LOL
The following 4 users liked this post by Butterball:
1STGENFARMBOY (03-02-2018), jimbo486 (03-02-2018), NJTman (03-01-2018), thrashingcows (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Got another 6" of snow yesterday and over night....so guess what I did..... Another day of plowing with Sno-ball. So far in the last month or so we've gotten close to 6 feet of snow out at the house.....friggin spring my a$$!!!

I had to get the wife to drive Patches about 20 feet, got my Skidsteer stuck and tried just tugging it out with Patches, but no wheels turning on the machine and it weighing 6000lbs all Patches did was spin. So with the wife complaining about not being able to reach the pedals......and me running the machine Patches was able to tug it free. I put a set of chains on the machine this evening so I shouldn't have this issue again.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Put on a new sticker.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Yup, especially during snow events, here. Dang nabbit plow jockies.

This is an enforcement issue, just like on my own street of which leads to a local k-3 school. For 24 years I have complained to the local police regarding the inconsiderate mothers (and bus drivers) who fly up my street to the school every single day. 60+ mph on a 25 mph street. These cops will NOT do anything about it, period. They tell me,that if it bothers me that I should take photos or video of the offender, and come to the station and file charges.

They don't give a rat's coolio. Just like the folks who drive around with those led lights on all the time.

Back in my radio control drone days, when you had to build them from scratch there was a club member that made a radio controlled baby carriage. He also lived on a street with speeders and said he would sit in his garage and while enjoying a cold one watch for speeding cars. At just the right moment he would make the carriage jump out from behind his car in his driveway into the bicycle lane while laughing at the skidding cars.
thrashingcows (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I made some big-time interior improvements yesterday.

The 40/20/40 3rd gen seat I had previously installed were yanked out in favor of some Corbeau Baja XRS suspension seats along with their vehicle specific frame. I really wish I had known about these before I decided to use the 3rd gen seat.

Night and day difference compared to the 3rd gen seat. Wow, these are comfy! I sit at a lower height than I did prior with the way I had the 3rd gens mounted (I could've done better but never got around to doing so). Well worth the money in my opinion.

I have plans to install a center console. Either make the 3rd gen console work, look for others to use or make my own, somehow. Carpet will also happen soon. I didn't have time to look for a good carpet company in the short time that it took for these to arrive. Plus, I wasn't gonna just let them sit in the boxes. I had to install them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?