1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 AM
BHD

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
PA is 10-20 cents higher. Thanks to a recent 28 cent a gallon tax hike. Thanks Governor Wolf...NOT!!
Fuel here is about $3.25+. I make a point to do a parts run into Maryland about once a week or so with an empty tank, empty cans and an empty cooler. Fuel there is usually $0.50/ gal cheaper, and they have a different craft beer distribution network!

A move out of PA is in my 5 year plan thanks to high taxes and worthless government.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 2,431 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Diesel was $2.77 in VT the other day when I filled up the blue donkey.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
$2.76 a gallon in Ohio
Old 11-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
A move out of PA is in my 5 year plan thanks to high taxes and worthless government.
This brings tears to my brain...as my eyes are shut from reading the,words
Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM
BHD

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
This brings tears to my brain...as my eyes are shut from reading the,words
The intent was not to make your brain weep my friend. There are many craft brewers in this state that help lift our spirits and drown our woes.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BHD
The intent was not to make your brain weep my friend. There are many craft brewers in this state that help lift our spirits and drown our woes.
I know. Just, beyond disappointing
Old 11-05-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
2.50 a gallon here
Old 11-05-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
$3.19 is the cheapest I found on GasBuddy in Southern Commiefornia.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Well yesterday I finally broke down and replaced the battery in my truck. Grabbed a g31 battery from tractor supply for 105 bucks. Pleasantly it was a direct swap, so other then busting one of the j hooks for the battery hold down that was a nice easy fix.

today I'm driving to church and suddenly I can't turn my wheel at all. Limp it into church and there are just rainbow puddles in the rain water everywhere. Saw a pretty decent spray from the power steering pressure line. Limped the mile or two to my grandparents where I refilled ps fluid and bled the system the best I could.

Got it up to my dad and I garage from there, went to pick the lines up from the parts store. They had no recollection of me calling about the lines or them saying they were in stock. Ended up ordering them and they should be here tomorrow then sometime this week pull and replace em.

Also would ps fluid level affect braking on a vacuum boost system? After refilling the system for a few miles my brakes felt really touchy, in a good way that is.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
Well yesterday I finally broke down and replaced the battery in my truck. Grabbed a g31 battery from tractor supply for 105 bucks. Pleasantly it was a direct swap, so other then busting one of the j hooks for the battery hold down that was a nice easy fix.

today I'm driving to church and suddenly I can't turn my wheel at all. Limp it into church and there are just rainbow puddles in the rain water everywhere. Saw a pretty decent spray from the power steering pressure line. Limped the mile or two to my grandparents where I refilled ps fluid and bled the system the best I could.

Got it up to my dad and I garage from there, went to pick the lines up from the parts store. They had no recollection of me calling about the lines or them saying they were in stock. Ended up ordering them and they should be here tomorrow then sometime this week pull and replace em.

Also would ps fluid level affect braking on a vacuum boost system? After refilling the system for a few miles my brakes felt really touchy, in a good way that is.
Contrary to popular belief, oil or grease on the brakes will cause them to want to lockup or be touchy, the steering fluid probably found its way onto your front disks...Mark
thrashingcows (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 73CrewCab

Did you change out the flasher? I’ve got LED taillights from LMC Truck (which work awesome, even with the stock flasher), and haven’t swapped the front turn signal bulbs yet... I know when I bought the LED turn signal bulbs, they recommended a flasher with a ground wire attached to it...
I checked out the specs on these, and I also looked at our fuse panels to see how our trucks are wired. If you go to the specifications for that flasher, it's actually wired backwards to what our trucks are wired (or vice, verse, if you will). In the diagram attached, the voltage on our trucks is actually in the " L " position, which mean's that flasher you posted (where the voltage is supposed to be at the " X " location of the flasher), it won't work directly in our trucks. You can install a reversing polarity plug, switch the wiring in the fuse panel, or buy a flasher that is "polarity independent, such as EF32RLNP listed here:

Amazon Amazon

I just ordered 2 of them, one for flashers, one for hazards. I'll let you know how they work when I install them, either tomorrow or the following day.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-flasher.jpg  
thrashingcows (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I checked out the specs on these, and I also looked at our fuse panels to see how our trucks are wired. If you go to the specifications for that flasher, it's actually wired backwards to what our trucks are wired (or vice, verse, if you will). In the diagram attached, the voltage on our trucks is actually in the " L " position, which mean's that flasher you posted (where the voltage is supposed to be at the " X " location of the flasher), it won't work directly in our trucks.
Keep us posted. It should work for MY truck, since I have an "EZ Wiring" brand wiring harness and fuse panel. I didn't know that they changed the terminals on the flashers. I thought that the were standard 2-3 prong.... Learned something new today. Now I just need to get off my butt and change out the front lights.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 1,333 Likes on 863 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Interesting, That is almost the exact cost of rug in Mexico, after the exchange rate. Does the price of fuel ever go down in Canada? It never goes down here.Mexico is one of the poorest countries in the world and their government owned petroleum company, Pemex, is a monopoly. I fueled up the other day at a Chevron station in Hermosillo, which would seem to belay that, but not when you find out that they have to buy all of their fuel from Pemex. Optics I say...Mark
Yes the price of petroleum products is as volatile as in the US....that is the most I have paid per litre for diesel in probably a year. Usually I am paying about 20 cents less a litre.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
got two new steering tires today before winter sets in. nothing special, another pair of Mastercrafts to match the drive, but I could tell the ride was better.at least on smooth roads.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Well, since I removed my trans lines, and coolant lines, trans / antifreeze heat exchanger and had them all de rusted and powder coated, boiled out my radiator, put new hoses on, I've been running 100% antifreeze. Must be a month and a half now.

Things that have happened:

Truck runs completely normal, actually a little better than normal, but I can only attribute that to the cooler temps

Things that didn't happen:

Truck didn't blow up
truck didn't catch fire
truck didn't lose power
truck didn't have heat affected
truck didn't break down yet
truck didn't expel all that 100% antifreeze out because it didn't like it.

Oh well...

In two years, I'll dump the antifreeze out, like I do every 2, and see if it made any difference regarding the buildup in the radiator that I seem to get no matter what I do. Distilled h20, regular h20, green standard antifreeze... it still builds up gunk in the radiator. Hopefully it won't get as heavy as last time, requiring another boiling out.
thrashingcows (11-08-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?