1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

wh1c in/wow she needs cooled down

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wh1c in/wow she needs cooled down

well i finally was able to get away from work long enough to get the parts and adapters to get my wh1c on. she whistles decent. but holy kaloody, first time out i got on her and my engine tempt hit the half way point within 8 seconds. now i do not know what my egts are cuz i haven't boughten a gauge yet, but besides that turbo my motor is 100% stock, except for the 5" exhaust t-case back, so i am not thinking it will be too awful high. but i sure do need an intercooler. and i'm sure the later model radiator would help too. any other ideas guys, do you non-intercooled boys run into the same problem? other than that i am happy with the turbo overall power isn't really any different i just have a different power curve of course, where i used to be 1900-2500 or so now i am about 1300-2300 much over 2300 and i actually notice a little less power.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What exhaust housing are you using and do you have the wastegate hooked up? Also, are you sure you have no boost leaks? There is no reason the engine should run hotter from a turbo swap like you did.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:51 PM

i am running the 12cm housing, and i do not have it hooked up, simply because i was told by people running the same setup, non-intercooled and all, but with bigger injectors i don't need to unless i start running a decent amount more of fuel, they seem to run below 35 and i was told that that was fine. but i don't think i have any boost leaks, how would that make the engine run hotter?

but the motor runs at a completely normal operating temperature until i romp on it.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

If your EGT was really high it would raise the coolant temp. You really need to get gauges on it to see what's going on.

It sounds to me like a cooling system problem, nothing to do with the turbo.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I'm suspicious too....there is NO way the coolant temp should respond/climb/move that quickly...it just aint right....
What you describe is the way a pyro would move if you were fueling the engine like a wildman....but not the coolant gauge...
You need to investigate this some more...

pb....
Old 04-03-2005, 05:18 PM

ok i was a little low on radiator fluid (got aleak in the lower hose apparently) fixed that and filled up all the way and vuala. no more jump in temp. and i did have a small leak in the new hose i bought to go from my compressor to my intake, i put my hand around it and noticed a slight suck at an idle, so went down to the store grabbed both things and everything is good now. i have more top end now too, i can actually get close to 2800 rpm now before i start falling off compared to the 2500 i had stock.

now that those two things are fixed this turbo is sweet. i smoke very very little at wide open. so now we can play with fuel

but who sells a reliable but not too expensive pyro/boost gauge combo. that i can get cuz believe me i know i need gauges bad. it is like trying to race without an rpm gauge. things just dont fall into play very well
Old 04-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I'm very happy with my Autometer Z-series gauges. They are not too expensive and they match the factory gauges well. Summit Racing Equipment is hard to beat on price, but you can also get them from the DTR store and help out the site that helps you out.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:57 AM

who sells a reliable but not too expensive pyro/boost gauge combo
Isspro www.issproinc.com sells what they call a "turbocator" which is a combo gage.
I know a couple of boaters who have them.
Jay
Old 04-04-2005, 06:01 PM

thanks guys once again you guys have come through. couldn't ask for any better help.

just glad i found this web site.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:12 PM

I just pick mine up from dieselmanor.com- they had some pyros and boost in clearance. great price, fair shipping and excellent service.