1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

weeping lift pump - time to replace? where to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weeping lift pump - time to replace? where to get one?

took me a while to figure out that I've got diesel leaking out the weep hole of the Lift Pump. Manual says that if stuff is coming out the weep hole, the diaphragm is shot... "replace the pump".

ugh. is there anything else to do?

I don't mind paying for the new part (would love suggestions on where to purchase) but not excited about getting up in there to replace it. I see from other threads people remove the starter for easier access? how much am I going to screw up doing that?

did I kill this pump by running veg oil through it? just wondering,
Tys
Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They really aren't that hard to get to.....I wouldn't go through the hassle of removing the starter...... You can go to the sticky and do the low pressure piston lift pump install..... I think oregon fuel injection sells the right one for a good price..... It is a better pump and won't dump diesel into the crank case if it fails like the stock one can.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 AM

thanks for the response!

I did see that sticky, and saw a few others in my search. I don't know if I've got short arms or something, but I really struggled to even get a good look at the thing. It looks like those photos are with the engine out of the truck! I do have some extra stuff behind the battery (for my veg system) but even if I pulled that, it seems like it'd be hard to get one's head and wrenches down there.

anyway, I looked at the Oregon FI place, and I see what looks like an exact replacement on this page: http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index...EL_SUPPLY_PUMP

, listed as:

88-93 Dodge Fuel Supply Pump, fits Dodge Cummins 5.9 L Diesel with VE Pump, fits 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Mopar # 5012376AA, 4983584

is that the one you mean? if it's exactly the same, how is it better, as you describe? or am I just not looking in the right place?

thanks again,
Tys
Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
If you decide on a low pressure piston lift pump, do not buy the Delphi pump from OFI. It's hardly considered to be an upgrade from the stock, diagphragm pump. Fuel pressure with it is not much higher at idle (5-7psi compared to 3-5psi).

Get yourself a real upgrade and buy the one from Cummins as mentioned in the sticky. You'd be seeing at least 15psi at idle. Much harder to pull it down depending on your fueling requirements.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
The reason I went with the Delphi pump was I didn't want to risk blowing the front seal out on the injection pump. If it had a new seal that was loktited or snap ringed in, that would be another thing. Depending on your fueling plans, you could go with a higher pressure/higher volume 2nd gen pump and put a bypass regulator on it.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 AM

I run the ofi pump and its much better the the stocker i cant pull it lower then 4psi https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=304840

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM

In this tread it shows pn and install pics just have to go thu it https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=281221

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM

I am willing to get the best pump for my situation... just need to know which one.

some more amateur questions:
- what's a higher pressure pump good for? what does it help to have higher pressure? I probably don't need more power or speed, but efficiency would be great.

- one reason I like the stock replacement is the lack of further modifications. I'm (obviously) a wimp about these things, and cutting out bits of insulation and whatnot makes me nervous. Do all the upgrades take that sort of modification?

- my injection pump is only 3 or 4 years old, professionally installed... so it should be able to take a higher pressure pump, right?

if anyone has a specific brand/store I should go with, please let me know.

thanks again,
Tys
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM

You can get to the lift pump easier if you work through the wheel well. I always turn the wheel all the way to the right and use a couple long extensions to get if off. It might be easier to take the wheel off but I never do. The pump from ofi is a Delphi hfp702 I believe. I have it installed on one of my trucks and it makes a big difference over the stock one. Its not the high pressure pump from cummins but works way better than stock. Give them a call and tell them you want that pump and all the stuff to make it fit a 1st gen. It ran me around $150 shipped to my door. Installation isn't bad either. I used a box cutter to cut the insulation and it cut really easy. It took me a total of 30 minutes to have it changed out and running again.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
It's higher volume is what people are after. As far as I know, there are no low pressure high volume pumps. So you have to regulate one down. The VE lip seal gets iffy over 15psi. Recommendations run from 12psi to 18psi on the regulator, some have gone higher but they also glued or snap ringed the seal in. The draw back to higher inlet pressure is to your timing advance, it operates off an assumed inlet pressure plus what the pump boosts at a given rpm. So you end up reaching full advance sooner.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM

well, got it done. I did go with the Delphi stock pump, as I don't have any other mods or reason to have more pressure.
and, I did most of it reaching down in, rather than through the wheel well, though that did help to at least look through there every so often.

thanks for all the guidance, as usual.
Tys