1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Vac/PS Pump - Questions and Requests

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vac/PS Pump - Questions and Requests

Well Spring Break is here and my truck project for this week is rebuilding my leaky Vac/PS pump. I got the kit from Geno's and its pretty much a straight forward job. I rebuilt my FJ60's PS pump back in high school with no problem and it has about 3x's the number of parts and seals. Im not too worried.

I guess my question is, for those who have done it before, do ya'll have any "Do's-and-Don'ts" or just things to watch out for? Tips?

Also, if anyone needs and pics of anything in that general area of the motor or of the pump itself, let me know and Ill do what I can.

I'm also gonna try to make a video of some kind but no promises on that...

Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I just did mine 2 weeks ago. It's not a hard job, and Pete Gould's kit and DVD make it really simple.

There are spacers on a couple of the studs that hold the pumps together, they will fall off when you pull the pumps apart.

Before you start, take the oil pressure sender out before you break it off.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 AM

Well, I pulled the Vac/PS pump today. Fun little chore! It brought a few things to my attention.

The first hose I pulled was the vac line. Grabbed my pliers, pinched the clasp...the hose spilled right off its tubing. Didnt even have to pinch the clap. I could slide it on and off with the clasp on. Heat from the pump, along with age, had turned that rubber vacuum hose into a sponge. Oil seeped out of the rubber itself(from the oil buildup in that area of the leak) It was almost as soft as the foam insulation that covers 90% of it. So, Im throwing that out there as a heads up. Might be something to inspect next you check your oil.

So that needs to be replced...will coolant hose work? I really didnt inspect it under the insulation to see what it was tonight. Ill do that when the pump is ready to go back on.

The other hydrolic line was so old and hard it had to be cut off. Gotta pick up that. I think I got some thrown in the barn somewhere but thats a search I didnt feel like doing tonight.

When I go under to pull the bracket bolt...I break it loose...the bracket, that I thought was supposed to be bolted to the block, fall away from the block and hang and swivle from the pump bolt.

So who thinks it vibrated out and who thinks the guy on the assembly line was hungover that day?

Originally Posted by wannadiesel

Before you start, take the oil pressure sender out before you break it off.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I left the PS pump on the truck to avoid messing with the PS hoses. No leaks there so I was afraid to mess with it.

Use trans cooler hose for the vacuum hose, it will resist the oil.

When I got my truck the nut that held that bracket to the pump was gone. There is no end to the stuff these engines can rattle loose.

Glad I saved you $30.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Well. I got the pump cleaned, opened, resealed, and put back together. Piece of cake. My only concern is the scoring I saw on the inside of the Vac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIhYMtXVM-k

My camera died so I couldnt get any good HQ pics of it so I did the best I could with the video camera.

How bad does that scoring look?

Its deep enough to catch your fingernails on the lines....

I put it all back together regardless because the pump was working fine before I pulled it so it should still work fine after its back on. But should I begin saving and looking for a new vac pump in the near-future?

Ill get pics of the pump removal, and maybe a short video, as soon as I can.
Not now though. Need food!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I know it looks ugly but the vanes have worn to match it so I'm sure it works fine. I'd leave it be.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Wow, I could of had a DVD? I just bought the parts from Cummins, it was cheaper, too. My pump bracket finally rattled loose after 260K miles. Just put a new bolt in, and now I see oil leaking from vacuum pump seal. Time to finally reseal that one too I guess.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
Wow, I could of had a DVD? I just bought the parts from Cummins, it was cheaper, too. My pump bracket finally rattled loose after 260K miles. Just put a new bolt in, and now I see oil leaking from vacuum pump seal. Time to finally reseal that one too I guess.
I got the DVD thinking the internals of the pump were gonna be more complex. I didnt realize till I got the DVD that it was so simple inside. Probably could have done it with out the video and just the seals but the video does give some helpful little tips and stuff. My pump is back together, back on, and no leaks. Best $65 Ive spent. Im happy!