1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turning my "2" into a "4"

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turning my "2" into a "4"

New guy here! Name's Mike and for my first post I figured I'd make it a doozy.
Posted this on "another" forum too but by the looks of it this one seems a little more "used".
Anyways... here we go:

My beautiful old 92 D250 (2WD) is needing a major upgrade in looks and performance. I plan on dropping some cash on this truck in the very near future and I'd REALLY like to convert the old girl to 4WD and lift it 4-6" and 35's or 38's and do some decent-but-not-ridiculous engine mod's.

Am I insane to try to tackle this feat on a 2WD truck? I love this truck as it was my grandfathers' since new until he passed away last April so I don't want to edit it and I don't need a 15-second drag monster. I want to keep the basic theme of the truck but make it a little more fun to drive.

The truck's an Auto and I want to keep it that way - traffic here is a edit a lot of the time. Not to mention I don't want to screw around with clutch linkages and pedals, swapping steering columns, etc etc.
A friend of a friend) of mine has 3 (!) dead 250 CTD 4x4's in his yard so parts aren't a big deal. But knowing very little of these trucks am I basically dreaming or is this mod a reality? I'm no stranger to a wrench or gettin' my hands dirty so that's not an issue. Just not knowing these trucks too well I figured I'd ask the guys that have been around them longer than I have. I know I'm going to have to do the dif gears and some work to the swapped trans, I'm more concerned about the actual swap than anything.
Any opinions or suggestions?
Cheers!
-Mike
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Sounds like with 3 of those trucks it shouldnt be too bad of a challenge. Youll need front axle of course and all the steering and suspension with it. Youll need all the driveshafts, crossmembers, transmission (or you can modify yours to work with parts from the others), transfer case, the rear suspension to get it the right height. Probably some other stuff Im forgetting.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
swap frames to make it 4x4, just alot easier than converting. if your gonna run big tires try to find a truck with 4.10 gears in it already cause it will keep your power up. while you got the donor frame out from under a body clean it up real good and power wash it off, probably wouldnt hurt to run new brake and fuel lines since its down.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:46 PM

Thats great advice.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know, thats why i gave it.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
don't forget that he has a 2x4 auto truck body so he'll be needing a larger drivetrain tunnel hump. A bolt in hump from an m880 will work or any 4x4 auto or manual 4sp full size 73-80 pickup or charger. (which I have an extra of in my garage if you're interested)
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 PM

i was in this pretty much exact situation... beautiful 92 d250 that was purchased new by my wifes grandfather. waxed every quarter and babied to no end, when he passed away (only 27K on it) my father-in-law got it and drove it as a commuter vehicle from 27k-97K. That's when i got it from him, never seen a hard day in it's lifetime, didn't even know what salt was (dave can support what i am saying about CLEAN) anyways, i looked into a locker for the rear and/or a winch in the front at first but then decided i really wanted/needed 4x4. I just could not do it to that truck. so it's our 5th wheel hauler and my wife's daily driver. for what it would have cost me to convert i was able to pick up a 4x4 (after looking for many many months). i say keep that mint truck the way it is! if he has 3 dead 4x4 ctd's why not see if you can make one good truck out of them? I vote for save the conversion money build another truck!
however, if you must take that one apart i am fully with the idea of a motor/body swap onto the other frame. MUCH better than trying to attach the 4x4 suspension parts.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Hey thanks for all the responses guys! Greatly appreciated.
Looks like I may do the "frame-off" thing that Logan said. I'm gonna go check out the write-offs my buddy's got in his yard and see if he's got a good frame to donate. I'll keep ya posted
Thanks again dudes!
Cheers
Old 08-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at our frames it is not that hard to swap from 2x4 over to 4x4 most of the holes are there allready if you stay with your fame it might be less of a hassle with the local police or with reg. that way you dont have to worry about someone asking what yr frame that is and all numbers match.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 AM

Hey do any of you guys know where to get a lift for a 93 250? I've looked all over and nobody sells one for a cummins.
Thanks Andrew
Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

What size lift you want to go with number 1 I used skyjacker springs on the front of my old crewcab rides nice with big tires .Back is easy just add lift blocks or go the new spring route .
Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 AM

I would like to clear 35's. Its just all the lifts I found for 93 dodges recomended not for cummins motor or does this matter? Just springs would be fine but dont I need a stearing block also? And where can I get after market bumpers for it? I'd like one with a built in winch mount! Thanks for the help....Andrew
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Ace
Banned

You can go 2.5" with just the Skyjacker springs and no other mods necessary. Get the 6" rears and lose the lift blocks for best effect. 4" or more will require lengthened driveshafts and a drop pitman arm or alternatively, crossover steering conversion for best effect.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM

thanks for the info any word on the bumpers?